• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dying the bottom of a disc

jb22384

Bogey Member
I think I've seen someone talk about this in another thread, but I couldn't find it.

What's the best method for dying something on the bottom of a disc?

I've always heard to just fill the bottom of the disc with dye instead of floating it in the pot, but I haven't tried it yet.

Only bottom dyed disc I've seen really was that guy who used acetone rit mixture on sponges and he did the ENTIRE disc. looked freaking sweet.

\/\/

It depends on the kind of dye your are trying to lay down...

I have also found that on star and esp plastic, the underside of discs are different in texture that sometimes makes it difficult for contact paper/vinyl to stick. In addition the shape underneath makes it even harder to seal out bubbles and bleeds. That said, more intricate stencils are very hard to do underneath. I myself have only done very small dyes underneath such as names, weights, small symbols... I applied the dyes using hot dye. I would paint it on, rinse with hot water, and keep painting hot dye on until it was the color i wanted it. I let the dye sit for about 2 minutes before rinsing it, after which I assumed it was too cold.

I had a thought the other day that I might float the disc in clear warm/hot water while I applied the hot dye on the back, thus keeping the disc and the dye warm...

This is a star destroyer. I used rit dye heated on the stove until it started steaming, put my vinyl down and ladled the dye into the disc. Let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes and this is what I got.

Attachments

• DSC03837.jpg
    DSC03837.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 105
This is a star destroyer. I used rit dye heated on the stove until it started steaming, put my vinyl down and ladled the dye into the disc. Let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes and this is what I got.
When you pulled it out did it make that chimey noise you hear when link picks up an item?

Only bottom dyed disc I've seen really was that guy who used acetone rit mixture on sponges and he did the ENTIRE disc. looked freaking sweet.

\/\/

Thanks! :p

My next disc is going to be a top/bottom dyed disc. I'm doin some detailed koi fish on the bottom and, since the disc is clear, intend to do my stencil work right through the disc. After that i plan on either completely submerging the disc or like one of the guys above me just ladeling some inside of it so that it still floats.

Here is a disc that did...

make7.jpg

upyours.jpg

You will notice a TINY amount of bleeding around the patent numbers on the bottom dye, i have since perfected that technique and can dye them without bleeds on the bottoms.

The client wanted the disc to look like a 7up can, so the top i used an Acetone process to acheive the watery green colors.

This was a fun dye, expecially since it was a white disc. :)

Acetone dyeing discs are definitely some of the most fun ones that I do. I'm considering doing that koi idea I have free hand with acetone. if pulled off could create a really cool looking disc