• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

If you ever think a champ eagle isn't up to that Banshee slot just cry a little and fork over the cash for a JL circle stamp. I replaced my Trident with it (I do like tridents, but I'm a mold minimalist as well) and so far it has held that job well, it holds the same lines but is more HSS than my Trident (GL and worn I will admit).

If you look at the profile of a circle stamp next to a star or regular champ they don't look like the same disc. Circle stamp has a much taller and beefier nose (as well as higher PLH).

shot another round today with the dx eagle as one of my primary drivers - the teebird is the other. yep, still bombs. yep, still shapes beautiful lines the teebird can't. obviously the teebird does things the eagle can't, too. but oh well. i bag them both and i love them both.

eagles are awesome. i didn't even throw my star or champ today; i had no interest. i tagged a couple trees and the stability hasn't really changed, so i think there's just bad initial damage and then it stops showing so much until it's truly "beat".

of course, i've been also been hitting fewer trees while throwing these so that helps too. ;)

To me, the Teebird was always a small rimmed "distance driver" and the Eagle is the Money, birdie making, shot shaping disc. It just goes to show how well these "old" molds stand the test of time.

agreed on the eagle, it is great for shaping lines. there are definitely holes where i look at it and say "teebird" though. any sort of straight tunnel shot, i'm throwing a dx teebird.

the eagle can take care of the rest though. :) i prefer it as a distance driver to the teebird since i get that distance driver flight-pattern from the eagle. it's going to take me a while to get used to how i should throw a perfectly straight drive for distance, haha.

and it's official. i killed it today with the eagle doing a decent amount of legwork. first i threw by myself and second round i was in a group of people i played leagues with this year and i had always used them as an example of how i wanted to throw, a barometer of sorts. i was outdriving them with my eagle. they are still much more consistent than me, but i bested my personal course best at acorn by 3 strokes. not all of it was the eagle - the teebird played a big role too, and my putting. but whenever i throw the eagle i feel i just can trust it. it's a great distance driver. never though i'd be confident throwing dx plastic. but i just don't seem to hit many trees when i throw the eagle. ;)

Nice job. It's comfy in the hand, and to me, always seemed like a good shot was about to happen.

oh man

I haven't thrown an eagle in years. I think i need a mini lesson in Eagles. What are the decent ones right now? Champs?

I'm pretty deep into the teebirds, but I assume the advantage of the eagle is more control.

oh man

I haven't thrown an eagle in years. I think i need a mini lesson in Eagles. What are the decent ones right now? Champs?

I'm pretty deep into the teebirds, but I assume the advantage of the eagle is more control.

They are all pretty decent. That's what makes them kind of special, Innova hasn't found a way to dick around with the mold yet. You just have to check the lip for Eagle Ls, they're still out there.

oh man

decent ones? i dunno; i just started this whole thing. i love the dx. my star is nice too; it started out OS but i've smacked some trees pretty hard and it's seasoning nicely into something shape-able. the champ is OS for me, can fight a headwind but nothing too crazy. i will be using it for utility as well.

they both give you a ton of control - the advantage of the eagle is shaping lines vs. locking into them with the teebird, a little more forgiveness from the eagle in certain situations and some from the teebird on straight lines. i don't want "forgiveness" from the eagle on a straight fairway tunnel where i have room for none - i've never seen a driver so straight on a line as the teebird. from the first second i threw them i knew exactly where each one would be used. the eagle weaves through trees in the woods and holds long hyzerflips/hyzers and also functions as my max distance driver right now, i like the turn and fade, very reminiscent of a traditional distance flight so it translates well for me on long throws.

people say the teebird goes farther though, but right now we still have a couple feet of snow on the ground so i can't really get any good field work in.

i think it'd be silly to say one can replace the other. sure, it "can" work, but eh. the teebird makes some things so simple and the eagle makes others just as simple.

Last edited:
i think it'd be silly to say one can replace the other. sure, it "can" work, but eh. the teebird makes some things so simple and the eagle makes others just as simple.

Get a Star Eagle X around 165-170, a lively weight, and beat it in a good deal. Then tell me you need a Teebird. ;)

eagle to snake around wooded areas
teebird to drill it down the center

:)

The Eagle and TeeBird could share a spot in the bag, but if you're looking to for less overlap a Valkyrie might a better solution. They can hit that those TeeBird-like shots and add a bit more distance than the TeeBird.

The Eagle and TeeBird could share a spot in the bag, but if you're looking to for less overlap a Valkyrie might a better solution. They can hit that those TeeBird-like shots and add a bit more distance than the TeeBird.

I would suggest a Viking over a Valkryie.

BrotherDave said:
Get a Star Eagle X around 165-170, a lively weight, and beat it in a good deal. Then tell me you need a Teebird.

beat eagles ARE a thing of beauty. getting them there can take some time.

I would suggest a Viking over a Valkryie.

not to get completely off the rail, but yea a Viking is more TB'ish than a Valkryie.

i started with eagles and made the switch to TB's at the beginning of last season. the strong finish on the eagles were messing with me.

I've been thinking about giving the eagle a try for a couple months. Today was the day I pulled the trigger.

Picked up 2. 1 new 175 pre-flight DX and 1 170 "twelve time," not 12x, champ out of the used bin. The DX is fairly flat with nice PLH. The champ feels fantastic and is an easy 9/10. Neither are ELs.

I am a big fan of TBs and have 3-5 in the bag at any time. Some of my local courses have gone thru a bit of redesign and it would be nice to have something with a little turn and fade for some of these holes.

The weather here has been crap, so no testing today. Hope to get out after work tomorrow and give them a whirl.

I've been thinking about giving the eagle a try for a couple months. Today was the day I pulled the trigger.

Picked up 2. 1 new 175 pre-flight DX and 1 170 "twelve time," not 12x, champ out of the used bin. The DX is fairly flat with nice PLH. The champ feels fantastic and is an easy 9/10. Neither are ELs.

I am a big fan of TBs and have 3-5 in the bag at any time. Some of my local courses have gone thru a bit of redesign and it would be nice to have something with a little turn and fade for some of these holes.

The weather here has been crap, so no testing today. Hope to get out after work tomorrow and give them a whirl.

:clap:

i will also mention that with some experimentation i was able to get my eagles to fly teebirdish lines, but i still wouldn't take my dx teebirds out of the bag.