• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

Grabbed a used DX Eagle in pretty nice shape today for $4. Looking forward to discovering another classic mold.

Help! I need some help picking out a Eagle for forehand/overstable duties. I currently carry Icon Patriots (understable), Star TLs (stable) and Flat Champ Glow Teebirds (overstable). Teebirds work for fade backhands but my OAT'y forehand just doesn't jell with them. They turn and only have enough fade to get back to the fairway, I need more finish. A buddy who plays way better than me always says I should get a Eagle for those 275'-300' kind of forehand shots. I need a disc that will always finish with a fade without being a total meathook. I bag a flat Star Firebird for my really overstable forehand shots.

I prefer flatter/shallow discs and grippier plastic for forehands (firebirds, destroyers, zones) for grip and comfort. I'm guessing max weight, Champ X mold is my best bet for a workhorse Eagle. True? Do Eagles have a much variation in dome as Teebirds? Do most prefer no dome, some dome or pop-top? Any chance a Star one will be be overstable enough?

Last edited:
I had a Champ Eagle. It was really beefy. Didn't care for it much, I like the DX better. The DX aren't really overstable though.

Correct answer: Work on your forehand.

Help! I need some help picking out a Eagle for forehand/overstable duties. I currently carry Icon Patriots (understable), Star TLs (stable) and Flat Champ Glow Teebirds (overstable). Teebirds work for fade backhands but my OAT'y forehand just doesn't jell with them. They turn and only have enough fade to get back to the fairway, I need more finish. A buddy who plays way better than me always says I should get a Eagle for those 275'-300' kind of forehand shots. I need a disc that will always finish with a fade without being a total meathook. I bag a flat Star Firebird for my really overstable forehand shots.

I prefer flatter/shallow discs and grippier plastic for forehands (firebirds, destroyers, zones) for grip and comfort. I'm guessing max weight, Champ X mold is my best bet for a workhorse Eagle. True? Do Eagles have a much variation in dome as Teebirds? Do most prefer no dome, some dome or pop-top? Any chance a Star one will be be overstable enough?

Circle stamp Champ Eagle is the most overstable Eagle X I've thrown. They're at the innova pro shop and provably other places too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 30
I used to flick all the time and then started having elbow pain and totally quit. I have now worked on form and worked the flick shot back into my game. I do not flick wide rimmed discs well anymore. I have found that it was my form that was the problem. I flick sparingly but I have found that an overstable teebird flicks nice and straight and even a stable eagle i get a nice s curve out of. I went to banshees as my overstable disc and they really flick nice. Dead stright with a late strong fade.

I don't think he wants a circle stamp champ, mine is Banshee beefy even after using it for thumbers for months. It is shorter than all my other eagles, range wise it goes as far or just further than my mids.

Regular run champs are normally the most stable of the production run eagles, although I have a pretty beefy star (167g) that is as stable as my max weight champ (regular run). If you like star the gummy ones seem to be less stable than firmer ones.

I don't notice much dome variation in eagles (although the circle stamp champs are much domier than normal runs). PLH is more important in picking stability for an eagle, as well as firmness (for star anyways).

I've been using a found dx eagle from 2000 (says the tourney stamp) and I'm liking it a lot. Thrown some bombs and it's good in the wind. I use it for a water disc but I'm thinking maybe the new ones fly differently, and I should keep this one safe.

My bottom stamp Star (spike hyzer stamp if you really want specifics) is the most overstable Eagle I own. It's pink and has been my "risky hole" disc for awhile. I don't know why it's so beefy compared to my other Eagles but it's got a flat top with tall shoulders and probably a high PLH.

G* Eagle X question:

Where do they fall in the Eagle plastic spectrum? Curious about stability and durability. I'm curious on any opinions at all.
Thanks.

My G*EL was flippy and floppy, hated it. So my best guess is that G*EX fly stable straight with a fade at the very end... like a teebird.

My HyzerBomb Veterans fly very similar to the beat in 11x EagleX. It's nice, very nice!

Good tip on the Veteran. Best disc name ever.

But, what about G* Eagles? Where do they fall, stability wise, with the other plastics.

The Innova store site reviews the g* Eagle-L as a bit more stable than the champ version so I can't imagine the g* Eagle-X being any less stable that the L but who knows... new plastic, new ratings.

My G* L's were at least as stable as my Champ L's. Never tried the X's because I heard the domes were high.

Grabbed a few L's and some were ok, my lightest one 167g (I think) in blue had mega dome.

If you wanna try one out I'm pretty sure Infinite Discs has some, and shipping is reasonable if you just buy one unlike the pro shop. I did look at them in person and they were more domey than production star and champ if that matters to you.

I thought the floppy gstar plastic would make an L less stable than a normal champ L.

I thought the floppy gstar plastic would make an L less stable than a normal champ L.

Yeah it would seem that is a reasonable assumption, but at 300-330' they fly the same as my champs or just a hair more stable. They are only slightly less worn in than my champs but not far off.

From my experiences so far, G* Eagle X's fly exactly like the numbers suggest. Touch of turn with hefty fade out of the box at 325-350'.

i was at GGGT today and saw a pair of champ eagles that seemed similar to the description people were giving of the 11x. they were incredibly flat. i mean board flat, FAF, almost concave. could not see through them, either; they were like star. they weren't old stock with new stamps either. i can't even begin to imagine how OS those things are.

Latest posts