• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

East Coast Wooded Monsters

One of the main questions I have is, will the touring Pros hit 3 or 4 of these courses in a row? Three of them did 2 back to back. Will more, less or none do 3+ back to back to back.
They should, but don't know if they will. It would seem to make sense for them financially being on the way from the Vibram to the USDGC. I was surprised Steve Brinster pulled out of the DDGC this year, I don't think he is scared of the wooded monsters. You would think the PDGA/touring players would want to have a series going from the Vibram to the USDGC down the coast. I'd like to see an A in Pittsburg, and also Charlotte between them.

Schedule this year:
Aug 22 - Vibram Open
Aug 31 - PA States @ Quakers Challenge - this is a C tier but could be an A.
Sept 7 - Yetter @ Tyler
Sept 14 - DDGC @ Iron Hill/Brandywine
Sept 21 - Not much on the calendar in the Mid Atlantic, this was the Patapsco Picnic which was cancelled
Sept 28 - Hunt @ Deer Lakes - another C tier
Oct 2 - USDGC

The monster at fighting creek from the purple tees is indeed a beast that is probably the greatest test of distance driver line accuracy out there. And I've played the beasts on this list.

That course demands driver shots off the tee but punishes any excessive fade or turn

It's funny that the front 12 are called open

How have those ending wooded holes turned out my goodness they were tough n tight back in the beginning when I played it lol

the course has been renumbered in such a way that you cross the parking lot twice in the round so you can replenish your supply of liquids and food. Our long round lasted 5 hours. 2 players had 11's on their cards. It's not the length, it's the rough that surrounds the open holes. The woods holes have been cleaned and cleared and although some of them are still quite long they do not have rough like the "open" holes. The pictures on this site seem to show the update along with pics of the walking paths. There are also new bridges.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3523

So far two back to back has been the most anyone has tried. Mike Solt wants to add in Nocky before the Yetter. That's the question, will enough touring pros come to make up for the locals lost. Do you cater to the locals or touring Pros? Your right John, this is the debate. If you can't get a large group following this type of back to back to back golf, it probably will hurt attendance. Brinster had to pull out because of so many weekends in a row. As a TD I'm asked by locals how to get touring Pros into town. If I'm trying to raise outside sponsorship I need a gallery to sell to possible businesses.

It was just a B-Tier, but the Green Mountain Championship was sandwiched between Vibram and Yetter this year. The GMC was held on a brand new course with plenty of distance and woods played over two days.

Brinster, Wysocki, and Nikko played in all three of these events.

Edit: Just noticed that the DDGC was the weekend after Yetter, that made four weekends in a row on tough wooded courses for Wysocki and Nikko

So far two back to back has been the most anyone has tried. Mike Solt wants to add in Nocky before the Yetter. That's the question, will enough touring pros come to make up for the locals lost. Do you cater to the locals or touring Pros? Your right John, this is the debate. If you can't get a large group following this type of back to back to back golf, it probably will hurt attendance. Brinster had to pull out because of so many weekends in a row. As a TD I'm asked by locals how to get touring Pros into town. If I'm trying to raise outside sponsorship I need a gallery to sell to possible businesses.

years ago they tried to do WVO followed by brandywine followed by yetter and attendance really suffered at brandywine in particular.

I was surprised Steve Brinster pulled out of the DDGC this year, I don't think he is scared of the wooded monsters.
I heard he didn't play because he was injured.

I followed the lead card for the whole final round. Watching Ricky, Nikko, and Paul play Iron Hill was very impressive. They were throwing ridiculous lines that mere mortals like myself only wish that I could hit. They did actually throw alot of drivers, but they are freaks of nature.

They said they will be back next year, so hopefully more big names will also show up to take on the Hill.

Yes

Orange Crush is very much in this category of courses, more so than a course like Moraine, which, while wooded, provides much more of a reprieve than OC, which is literally cut through the woods for the entirety of its 18 holes. From the shorts, it's some brutal disc golf. The longs make for easily the hardest round I've ever seen.

It's a masterpiece of wooded disc golf for sure, with punishing technicality, challenging elevation, and even some serious distance. Exhibit A: hole 10, 612 ft from the longs.

adf638b6.jpg

Edit to add: props to SW for getting the OC mention in first. Linbrook is indeed in this category, but OC is on another level both in terms of technicality and refinement.

Agreed. Orange Crush is wonderful. But IMO it is as much a mountain course as a long wooded course. It has a different feel than the long wooded beasts. Elevation is huge, and length is not so huge.

I played Sontag in Rocky Mount, VA today, and would include it in a discussion of wooded beasts of the East. From the blue pads it plays pretty freaking tough. Too bad it is in the middle of nowhere. I plan on playing the over 8,000' Mountain Lake course tomorrow. I have heard good things, and it is in some pretty cool mountains with nice elevation and some steep slopes. We'll see.

Back to back to back weekends at the courses we are talking about is a lot golf and tourneys back to back to back weekends is a lot of money to ask for non touring pros but if you could get a large amount of pros to come to all 3 or 4 events would make it worth it. And if you could make it a small tour where points could carry over from event to event and an overall AM winner or other winners might be a draw.

So, is this thread all about Nikko's local route interview and the pro tour, or long,wooded courses ?

After about the 4th post, thread titles should be placed in parentheses to indicate that they state just more-or-less what's now being discussed. Usually less.

I heard there is no wooded courses in SC. :popcorn:

Because that's not really Carolina...

I'm starting to think 3 2day weekend tournaments is too much in a row....I forgot all about the demise of the MADC series and the economy is even worse now despite there being more disc golfers these days...tough tough decision

Actually, it's more of a monster shortage south of the border.

The wooded courses are short, the best courses are a mix of woods & open areas, and our other gold-par course (than Winthrop Gold) closed years ago.

And that "Carolina" crack is fightin' words. Let's battle it out. On second thought, let's send our college football teams out to settle it.

Actually, it's more of a monster shortage south of the border.

The wooded courses are short, the best courses are a mix of woods & open areas, and our other gold-par course (than Winthrop Gold) closed years ago.

And that "Carolina" crack is fightin' words. Let's battle it out. On second thought, let's send our college football teams out to settle it.

I think we should do basketball teams not football.:)

Yes, Bikinjack. Good call. The 'Cuse vs NC St + Clemson + So Car seems almost fair. On the other hand, some of the NC and SC high school football teams might crush the 'Cuse.

But then does SC even know how to spell basketball?

I'm happy someone mentioned Orange Crush. Amazing course. Still not the toughest wooded course I've played however. The Lucky 8 in Lavalette, WV easily beats OC. However, there are some drawbacks. It's a private course of pro Johnny Sias, so you'll probably want to get ahold of him before playing it. Since it's his private course, he's the only one that really works on maintaining it. That means the tees are in rough shape, there isn't really any signage, and sometimes downed trees/branches can get in the way.

So, insanely tough wooded monster, but not a place for with mass appeal.

I'm happy someone mentioned Orange Crush. Amazing course. Still not the toughest wooded course I've played however. The Lucky 8 in Lavalette, WV easily beats OC. However, there are some drawbacks. It's a private course of pro Johnny Sias, so you'll probably want to get ahold of him before playing it. Since it's his private course, he's the only one that really works on maintaining it. That means the tees are in rough shape, there isn't really any signage, and sometimes downed trees/branches can get in the way.

So, insanely tough wooded monster, but not a place for with mass appeal.

The thought of a wooded monster that "easily beats OC" makes me simultaneously giggle with delight and shiver in fear. That's gotta be one hardcore course.

I played Sontag in Rocky Mount, VA today, and would include it in a discussion of wooded beasts of the East. From the blue pads it plays pretty freaking tough. Too bad it is in the middle of nowhere. I plan on playing the over 8,000' Mountain Lake course tomorrow. I have heard good things, and it is in some pretty cool mountains with nice elevation and some steep slopes. We'll see.

Sontag is a very tough course.

Tell us about the mountain lake course. I want to play there but they just scheduled a tournament the same weekend as the Hawk Hollow event. I hope you have the time of your life.