• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Emporia, Kansas to Host 2013 Worlds!

Yeah I'm not sure where the no water thing came from. There are three ponds in Jones park, one large pond at the middle school, several at each ball golf course, and one large pond and river running through Peter Pan. Most people who play here actually complain about all the holes that require an approach or teeshot to clear water. I just watched the parks dept. pull several tons of algae out of peter pan along with a ton of plastic. We got water and trees and a few hills just like every other midwest state. It's not western Kansas it's the flint hills. Some of you watch too much wizard of oz.

A large field of Ams close to 600 survived heat indexes above 100 at Tulsa in Am Worlds 2006 so I'm guessing Emporia will likely not be any hotter. KC in 1999 may have been the most stifling Am Worlds from what I've heard. It's the Juniors you have to watch out for in high heat indexes more than any other age including most seniors.

Personally I have no problem where world's is. I think DD is the perfect main sponsor for worlds considering how much they do for the area and the game itself. KC has a lot of support from the locals, lots of courses, and amazing BBQ to boot. Do I wish it was on the west coast...YES. But that is only due to making travel easier and it would cost less money. But that is really the only reason. I always love playing in new areas no matter where that might be and believe it or not...I have always wanted to go to play those courses in Kansas. Glad to hear that someone took the initiative to run it and I wish everyone who is running it much luck.

All Am divisions that have Advanced or Junior as the first word in their official name. No Intermediate, Rec or Novice divisions. But those players can qualify to enter their Advanced division.

Heat index sounds worse than tornadoes whats the typical weather like during the time worlds is supposed to be? I'm interested to see what attendance is in 2013 vs 2012. So much hate from you KS people. Lighten up its the interwebs

Heat index sounds worse than tornadoes whats the typical weather like during the time worlds is supposed to be? I'm interested to see what attendance is in 2013 vs 2012. So much hate from you KS people. Lighten up its the interwebs

The weather around here is so unpredictable. It could be 80 and fairly cool, but it could also been 110 with a heat index of 120.

Most likely it will be 92 with a heat index near 100. Very humid around here.

So much hate towards you KS people. We non-Midwestern folks have to impose our self-righteous snobbery upon you to make ourselves feel better because folks in our neck of the woods with our awesome mountains, beaches and five star shopping and cultural attractions were too lazy to put up a bid.
FTFY.

I mean, lighten up its just the interwebs after all. :)

One thing I can assure you there won't be at 2013 Am Worlds regardless of the weather. 20+ mile drives to your next course and/or snarled traffic getting to it. Having all six courses, your lodging, restaurants, tourney HQ, players party, etc. nice and compact will help everything flow smoothly.

play in enough events to get the points required for an invite, which depends on what division you are eligible to play

I should of went the the Rochester one I qualified it would of been closer. Thx for the weather type update info locals!

how big of an issue is lodging going to be in emporia if 500-600 people are attending? I am just wondering since I have never been there and am not aware of the hotel situation there...

how big of an issue is lodging going to be in emporia if 500-600 people are attending? I am just wondering since I have never been there and am not aware of the hotel situation there...

I did a quick Priceline search and 12 hotels showed up for Emporia, KS.