• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Epic shots at the USDGC

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I track all kinds of statistics for the USDGC and a new category that I just added this year is "Epic shots". This list includes all aces, but it doesn't necessarily include all eagles, esp those on frequently eagled holes like hole 10. The inspiration came from watching JohnE in round 4 on hole 5 throw in a skip shot of about 300 ft for his birdie.

Here's what I have so far:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]All-time best hole score: Tim Skellenger, in 2008, round 2, scored the only 2 ever on hole 12, 901 ft. In 2008 this hole was a par 5 so his score was a Double Eagle (Albatross), but in later years par was changed to 4.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2012, R4: hole 2, par 4. Will Schusterick had an eagle 2
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2012, R4: hole 13, par 5. Ricky Wysocki made an eagle 3
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2013, R4: hole 5, par 5, Paul McBeth eagle 3.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2014 R4: hole 5, JohnE McRay from about 300 ft- throws in a long birdie that skipped in and might otherwise have gone OB in the water.
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Aces. Although aces are eagles, they are such thrilling, magical, and rare shots that they are tracked separately from the other eagles.

Do you have any suggestions for other epic shots from 2014 or previous years?

Rare eagles will be included if they can be described. I'm thinking that McBeth's 2013 round 4 eagle on hole 5 would fit, if anyone can describe it.

Wut? People were throwing Epics at the USDGC? Day-um! :D

McBeth went roller off the tee on 5 and then smashed over the water and then hit a long putt.

McBeth went roller off the tee on 5 and then smashed over the water and then hit a long putt.

this is what the caddie book reads for 2014

1LB9beL.png

jeez.

Anybody have any details on this hole?
2008, R3: hole 8, par 4. Valarie Jenkins eagle 2

Does anyone have any epic shots before 2008 to add?

Wiggins got an Eagle 3 on 888 this year too, only he didn't can it from the long side of the fairway like Ricky did.

I think maybe two players have "aced" hole 17 for a 7 or 9 on their third or fourth rethrow.

P. Brown's cut roller for his second shot on hole 4 this year in R3 that went around the mando and landed within 8 ft of the pin might have been as good as McCray's 100 ft skip shot.

Does anyone got a picture of McBeth's hole 5 off the tee roller?
Hatchet Harry on youtube: "2013 USDGC Disc Golf McBeth shoots -15 Wysocki Climo Lizotte MPO Open flight Holes 1-9". McBeth's tee shot on Hole 5 starts at 8:35, but you can't see it very well. Hole 5 runs from 8:35-13:45.

Big Germ's ace throw over the water at this years Throw for Pink, only one to ace over the water...
It was certainly an epic shot that mere mortals could not execute.
...But, as far as going in the basket, didn't they have many more baskets than normal to make the "bow" pattern? That would give him more chances than usual to make it in.How many baskets do they usually have set up?
Regardless it was still ultra cool to see the shot go in the basket!

Wiggins got an Eagle 3 on 888 this year too, only he didn't can it from the long side of the fairway like Ricky did.
If you are referring to 2014 in addition to Wiggins, only Gurthie (R4) and Koling (R1) eagled #13, not Ricky.

Do you have hole-by-hole archives? I heard tell of an open player from WA or OR going -5 or -6 for the tournament on 888 within the last 3 years, but I'm only seeing the final scores.
In 2013 McBeth was -8 on hole 10 for the tournament.

If you are referring to 2014 in addition to Wiggins, only Gurthie (R4) and Koling (R1) eagled #13, not Ricky.

No I think he knows it wasnt this year but he threw it in from the treeline not throwing it onto the island and making a putt. Plus Wysocki's was more epic because he did it in the final round in front of the crowd.

Robbie Bratton drove the green on hole 18 before the dock. I believe he even made the putt. THAT is epic.

Might've been in practice, but WHO CARES? I'm not positive on the details on that one.

OLD hole 16, when it was a par 4 550 foot hole across from the beach hole. In 2003, Kenny throws a roller to about 65 feet. Barry throws a roller to about FIFTY feet. OB left and right. In the final round. EPIC.

This should be added to the epic list: 2013 Chandlier Fry played #13, hole 888 at 6 under par. He 3'd it twice and 4'd it twice. No one has ever done it and no one will ever do that again. I witnissed 3/4 rounds.

Hole 10 is a weak hole in my opinion and a 2 there isn't all that impressive.

Latest posts