• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Epic shots at the USDGC

Epic, but not in a good way: Barry Schultz's gator-arm putt on a drop-in during the final round in 2005.

No details:
Barry eagled #4 in Round 2 of 2003.
MJ eagled old #16 in Round 1 of 2003.
Tony Ellis had aces in consecutive rounds in 2003 (#7 Rd 1, #17 Rd 2).
Eric Roadhouse eagled 888 in Round 1 of 2004.
Sonny Ashby eagled new #15 in 2004.
Justin Madore eagled 888 in 2005.
Chris Greenleaf eagled #2 in 2005.
Geoff Bennett eagled #4 in Round 1 of 2006.
Joe Rotan eagled #8 in Round 1 of 2006.
John E. McCray eagled #8 in Round 1 of 2006.
Linus Astrom eagled 888 in Round 1 of 2006.
Robbie Bratton eagled 888 in Round 3 of 2006.
Coda Hatfield eagled 888 in 2007.
Devin Frederick eagled 888 in 2007.
Tyler Horne eagled #15 in 2007.
Jim Myers aced #14 in 2007.

Sorted by hole #:
Chris Greenleaf eagled #2 in 2005.

Barry eagled #4 in Round 2 of 2003.
Geoff Bennett eagled #4 in Round 1 of 2006.

Joe Rotan eagled #8 in Round 1 of 2006.
John E. McCray eagled #8 in Round 1 of 2006.

Justin Madore eagled 888 in 2005.
Eric Roadhouse eagled 888 in Round 1 of 2004.
Linus Astrom eagled 888 in Round 1 of 2006.
Robbie Bratton eagled 888 in Round 3 of 2006.
Coda Hatfield eagled 888 in 2007.
Devin Frederick eagled 888 in 2007.

Jim Myers aced #14 in 2007.

Sonny Ashby eagled new #15 in 2004.
Tyler Horne eagled #15 in 2007.

MJ eagled old #16 in Round 1 of 2003.

Tony Ellis had aces in consecutive rounds in 2003 (#7 Rd 1, #17 Rd 2).

Last edited:
I remember hearing stories of Stokely throwing a drive to the ditch on hole 5, then being hindered by the footing in the drainage ditch proceeding to drive the green from a STAND STILL. Not sure how accurate it is but would love to hear from the old timers.

Epic, but not in a good way: Barry Schultz's gator-arm putt on a drop-in during the final round in 2005.
Was that the 1 ft drop in on hole 5 that bounced off the rim and fell to the ground?

This should be added to the epic list: 2013 Chandlier Fry played #13, hole 888 at 6 under par. He 3'd it twice and 4'd it twice. No one has ever done it and no one will ever do that again.
Incredible! He went 4 4 3 3. Do you have any details on the eagles?

Incredible! He went 4 4 3 3. Do you have any details on the eagles?

Threw a Glow Champion Firebird off the tee. He threw a flex shot down the road. Might have parked it once and hit a putt once. It was unbelievable.

Can't remember what he threw his upshots with.

Dana,

What can you tell us about your ace on hole 1 in 2010, R2? That's pretty epic and must have been exhilarating!

I don't have complete scores, but at the moment that is the only ace I have recorded for hole 1.

Dana,

What can you tell us about your ace on hole 1 in 2010, R2? That's pretty epic and must have been exhilarating!

I don't have complete scores, but at the moment that is the only ace I have recorded for hole 1.

It was pretty awesome, there is footage of it on youtube. Skipped in with a glow Buzzz. There is one other ace during USDGC on hole 1, it was by Roger (the ratings guy), not sure what year.

Side note: Val Jenkins aced it during the Presidents Cup a few years ago. I believe someone may have aced it during 97 Worlds, not sure on that and not sure what hole # it was then.

Was that the 1 ft drop in on hole 5 that bounced off the rim and fell to the ground?

Not hole 5, hole 15 (the old clown's mouth hole). Not only did it fall to the ground, I believe it rolled away down the hill. If memory serves, he didn't hit the comebacker either. I also believe that made him the last player ever to hole out on that version of the hole. It was changed to its current incarnation in 2006.

It was pretty awesome, there is footage of it on youtube. Skipped in with a glow Buzzz. There is one other ace during USDGC on hole 1, it was by Roger (the ratings guy), not sure what year.
I don't think Roger Smith (ratings guy) has ever been there. Perhaps you're thinking Roger Cansler from California?

Not hole 5, hole 15 (the old clown's mouth hole).
I once saw a video where Barry also missed a 1 ft drop in on hole 5. Anybody know what year that was?

I don't think Roger Smith (ratings guy) has ever been there. Perhaps you're thinking Roger Cansler from California?
Yup, it was Roger Cansler. 2005, R2.

Hole 10 gets eagled fairly frequently but we did have an "exciting" eagle this year. Phil Arthur in round 4 (I believe) eagled it with a fairway ace. he skipped in a driver on his second shot from between the 2 large trees in the lay up area. had to be from around 300' out.

Hole 10 gets eagled fairly frequently but we did have an "exciting" eagle this year. Phil Arthur in round 4 (I believe) eagled it with a fairway ace. he skipped in a driver on his second shot from between the 2 large trees in the lay up area. had to be from around 300' out.

I was caddying for a friend in Round 2 and a guy in his group splashed the chains hard with a SKIP from the layup area. Huge skip on that elevated basket.

Two other guys in the group had already hit bricks and pole with their approaches.

I was caddying for a friend in Round 2 and a guy in his group splashed the chains hard with a SKIP from the layup area. Huge skip on that elevated basket.

Two other guys in the group had already hit bricks and pole with their approaches.
damn it Grodney...you should of said wasup.

Latest posts