• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Esoteric thoughts...

hawgdriver

Eagle Member
Do you ever do fieldwork and have a kind of rumination about the how and why of throwing discs? I almost called it an epiphany, but an epiphany gives the impression that it's an "ah-ha!" moment, but this is more like..."hmmm. I wonder if ______" -- just thinking about it differently, with curiosity. You might be wrong, but it's interesting enough to want to explore the idea some more.

I had that kind of thought the other day about BH technique. I've been experimenting a bit with planting my right foot forward based on a tip from Simon in his Eagle/Simon clinic vid on y/t. His tip is to alter your footwork so that instead of planting in direct line with your momentum, or toward the basket/target, you plant at something like 45° to the left of that (i.e., you will be closing your hips to the basket even more).

Ok so here's the esoteric part. First gotta give some quick background on a math thingy called the "cross product". Cross product is a 3D operation, it tells you the direction a field acts upon a moving particle. Think about an electron speeding down a particle accelerator, with magnets keeping that electron going in a circle. Let's say you got an electron going straight ahead, a magnetic field coming in from the right side, and Maxwell's equations say that the resultant force vector with be in the direction of the cross product--straight up to the sky, so the electron would bend upwards. Check out wiki for pictures--the 'right-hand rule' (point your fingers in direction of movement, then curl your fingers into your palm as if the field was pushing them like wind--your right thumb points the direction of the force of that interaction).

Wow, this is way more bizarre than I expected, I guess esoteric is right. Ok, so with that background, what I was thinking about was "I wonder if a great throw is really just when the cross product of the downward force of weight transfer and the sideways force of bracing are maximized?"

It kind of makes sense, because the result is a force that pushes you backwards--giving the necessary resistance to the forward force vector being channeled into the disc.

Idk, it's probably total bs, but something about the 'feel' of that idea makes sense to me.

Then I get to thinking about...well, if my center of gravity can be described as a moving point particle, and there are these muscular/momentum/gravity things happening at various locations displaced from that center of gravity in x, y, and z coordinates...maybe there is something to it? All these various torques (torque is a cross product of axis of rotation and a force), and you are trying to get them all to add up to a crush throw.

Anyways, sorry. You'll never get those two to three minutes of your life back. But if you think there's something to this esoteric thought, or it makes you think of another, I'd love to hear it. Or hear a similar esoteric thought of your own.

I like your creativity in thinking about this. But, you might be mis-applying mathematical/physical terminology.

Think more newtonian.

I like your creativity in thinking about this. But, you might be mis-applying mathematical/physical terminology.

Think more newtonian.

The vector cross product is what causes the spinning disc to fade, or a gyroscope to resist tipping but at 90 degrees from the force. So there is some application, but that doesn't seem applicable to learning the feel of a throw.

The vector cross product is about forces rather than momentum, and that's also an interesting thought. Momentum doesn't do anything and can't be transferred - only forces cause movement. But knowing that doesn't help the throw either, and thinking about momentum sometimes does help.

It's a way to keep your new discs newer -- just throw them faster, they'll age slower.

But if I throw faster than you, will my discs cause your discs to travel slower, relatively, and therefore cause my discs to appear newer?
If I throw them even faster, will they reappear in my bag 6 months ago?
Do the Quarks in my disc operate the same establishment as someone else's?

It's a way to keep your new discs newer -- just throw them faster, they'll age slower.

David tees off, throwing his disc at near-light speed to prevent aging. Disc hits the first available tree and the resulting explosion obliterates the disc, Stoney Hill, and several nearby towns.

Another theory bites the dust . . . :D

The vector cross product is what causes the spinning disc to fade, or a gyroscope to resist tipping but at 90 degrees from the force. So there is some application, but that doesn't seem applicable to learning the feel of a throw.

The vector cross product is about forces rather than momentum, and that's also an interesting thought. Momentum doesn't do anything and can't be transferred - only forces cause movement. But knowing that doesn't help the throw either, and thinking about momentum sometimes does help.

What was being discussed was the cross product between two forces specifically, and that's the pitfall being brought up. What does the cross product between two forces mean?

There's an implication that perhaps it needs to be maximized. But think of the following example: There are two forces acting on an object. In one case they're both acting in the same direction, and the other they're directly opposed. The first scenario maximizes acceleration while the other minimizes acceleration. In both cases the cross vector between the forces is zero. In the case where the cross product is maximized, where the forces are at right angles, there is no impulse in the direction of the pseudovector. So what is the interpretation here?

This is all to say you need to be careful with interpreting the direction of pseudo-vectors and what they mean.

I would add that angular momentum is a cross product involving momentum. Its relevance here in disc golf is that the direction is mathematically tied to why discs fade left or right depending on how you throw them.

I suggest you rephrase that.

I would add that angular momentum is a cross product involving momentum. Its relevance here in disc golf is that the direction is mathematically tied to why discs fade left or right depending on how you throw them.

Well, yes, but the relevance we most commonly think of is the transfer from link to link in the kinetic chain.

Mathematically knowing the momentum of any link will tell you the amount of acceleration of the next link (or the prior link if it goes wrong) that can result.

The point that I am trying to make is that momentum is a descriptive quantity, not a force. The next link in the chain can only accelerate when acted on by a force, and if we really want to know what is going on we need to talk about forces, not momentum.

Of course that doesn't help us throw.

I'm serious about this!!!!

Really doe...if all we are doing as a throwing engine is generating max torque, there's definitely some cross product action going on.

What is weird about my concept is that there's this 'lateral' aspect to it, rather than just purely the halt of forward motion as force pours into our brace foot. I'm, like...trying to split the vector that is really just a superposition of everything. But there's tons of muscles and there's a "thru time" aspect. Idk. This thought legit occurred to me, wtf.

Just weird conceptualization. And it works for me, but I think about $hit in weird ways so whatevs. Probably nonsense, but it's my nonsense so I get it.

I'm serious about this!!!!

Really doe...if all we are doing as a throwing engine is generating max torque, there's definitely some cross product action going on.

What is weird about my concept is that there's this 'lateral' aspect to it, rather than just purely the halt of forward motion as force pours into our brace foot. I'm, like...trying to split the vector that is really just a superposition of everything. But there's tons of muscles and there's a "thru time" aspect. Idk. This thought legit occurred to me, wtf.

Just weird conceptualization. And it works for me, but I think about $hit in weird ways so whatevs. Probably nonsense, but it's my nonsense so I get it.

This word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

But whatever works haha. I won't say I fully understand what you are trying to get across here, but my interpretation of it distills to "the move is dynamic", which I do agree with lol.

As long as it's coplanar, don't worry about cross products, just draw the free body diagram.

A point that gets missed: linear motion into an anchored brace point will only produce rotation if the linear motion of the center of mass is off center.

But the brace point is not necessarily anchored in 2D.