• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] ESP Zone vs. FLX Drone

Which is more consistent inside 150'... Zone or Drone?

• ESP Zone

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • FLX Drone

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters

JFink2011

Bogey Member
Obviously the drone has more speed/distance... But if you're only 150' away which one do you throw? Which one is more consistent?

Zone

That's an easy one for me, but I dropped drones from my bag because I could pretty much cover all of my overstable shots with a pred and a zone.

I use the Zone up to 150', Drone after that. Zone is more of an small upshot and putting disc and the Drone is for stupid overstable shots up to the Firebird.

I use the Zone up to 250'. After that Im gonna throw the fireckn.

I tried a Drone and just didnt feel it was worth while to have in the bag.

unless there is a stupid amount of wind or i need a skip on the finish - zone, all day. it's much easier to control at low speeds and the finish is much more predictable/accurate.

the drone is in and out of my bag depending on the course and conditions - it's great on tight, shorter wooded courses and when the wind is insane, i will use it for some upshots in place of the zone. but the zone never leaves the bag.

i would also recommend trying a pro d zone if you like the esp. they beat up quick if you play wooded courses but maintain the low speed fade for a long time, even when they get fugly and the plate gets wavy. plus they stick much, much better on faster playing surfaces.

Last edited:
faster doesn't mean further. i can throw zones almost double what I can throw that kind of drone.
D zones and drones all the way. if I'm 150 im just gonna throw my putter unless, yes the wind is crazy. the zone. but at low speeds and short distances. the Drone is way too hard to control

You either like there drone or you don't. I do and find no need for zones in my bag with the drone. I've know guys to putt with these in certain circumstances.

Dude the zone is the best upshot disc on the market. If I am anywhere within 300 feet I'm probably going with the zone

zone flies more true than a drone at slower speeds...'nuff said. both are fantastic, just do different jobs.

I keep trying to go back to the Drone for an overstable upshot disc but I can't get the distance or consistency that I can get from my Zones! I generally would use an ESP Banger GT for that 150' shot, but if it was super windy, I'd pull out my zone.

Question: Why do people say that Zones don't skip? My zones skip much more consistently than any drone I've ever thrown...

I Have a z drone and an esp zone in the bag depending on the wind and course here in Kansas City. I keep the zone in the bag at ALL times. I throw it like a midrange. It is the best upshot disc I have thrown as far as consistency. If you don't want to really muscle the drone it isn't as easy to guage distance as a zone at 75%. I use drone on 350ish gotta pop flat and dive left holes. I use the zone any and every chance I get and occasionally the zone will bomb past the drone anyway.

Drone wins. Zone is an okay mold at best. Doesn't exceed at anything, just mediocre for lots of things.

I keep trying to go back to the Drone for an overstable upshot disc but I can't get the distance or consistency that I can get from my Zones! I generally would use an ESP Banger GT for that 150' shot, but if it was super windy, I'd pull out my zone.

Question: Why do people say that Zones don't skip? My zones skip much more consistently than any drone I've ever thrown...

True dat!

Latest posts