• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Essential MVP molds - building a bag.

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
Hi all. Getting back into disc golf after a 2 year layoff. I am wanting to build a new bag with MVP/Axiom. I wanting to start with multiples of about 5 basic molds to start. I am thinking that these slots will be in this format:

Slot (current Innova disc/OS-FH compliment/US compliment) - New MVP/Axoim disc

Here is what ive got so far. Can you recommend some comparable or better MVP/Axoim molds for me and then maybe the OS compliment to that disc?

Putting putter (mcpro aviar) - proxy (I prefer shallow beadless feel)
Throwing putter (aviar3/x3) - envy
Mid (roc3/rat/gator/caiman) - ???
Fairway (teebird3, tl3, leopard, leopard3) - ???
Distance (shryke) - ???

I also bag a sexton FB for FH drives - ???

I have a few other MVP molds in my stash like either a teleport or relativity and a volt I think. Recommendations are welcome and Thank You!

Yeah, I think its silly to randomly boot other brands' discs from your bag if they're still working. MVP doesn't make anything that's going to replace a Firebird.

I'd also have a hard time pulling a Shryke out of the bag. The Relativity is similar, as is the Catalyst. That said, the Shryke will fly as well as both.

It looks like you've got a pretty decent Innova setup. Why are you wanting to ditch all that for MVP?

I'm not saying MVP makes bad discs, but you won't find anything there that the Innova discs don't do every bit as well.

Some people just like certain things for their own reasons. My whole bag is MVP/Axiom except for one disc (a Stego).

Mids I would go with a proton and electron matrix for most duties. Pair in with a deflector for OS stuff.

I've been told a plasma fireball makes a decent sexybird. But, full disclosure, never thrown either molds. I throw a resistor for my OS fairway, but I know that's a bit slower than a FB.

Crave is a good teebird. I actually like mine better than any teebird. I throw a plasma one as my main fairway. I also rock a insanity/wrath combo for longer fairway/control duties.

My main distance driver has been a plasma wave. For my 330'ish of power it works great. Easiest distance I've gotten.

Distance (shryke) - ???

Hey right on man, I'll play this game.. If you are going pro gyro, plan on grabbing the best offerings and luckily that matches what you are looking for. Their lightweight stuff is unmatched. I love 155-160 ish drivers. If I had it to do over again....

So.. Envy/ Proxy great place to start! Do it! Two massively loved molds.. Nuff said. I'm Envy/Ohm/Spin but I'm crazy start with the best and work your way out.

Mid - meh I don't know, buy into the hype and get a Reactor and see where that takes you, the Envy / Proxy will surprise you for distance.

Fairway- dig out that Volt and see how it treats you, the fairway equivalent is the Crave that I bag and fission Volts both get tons o love. I'd say edge to the Volt if it's in your power zone. That's going to be a teebird or tl for you depending where it's at. Get a volt in fission in a lighter weight and you're a happy dude. 1 mold double duty.

Toss in a Relay, seriously, RELAY and stop spending for now..

I haven't thrown a Shryke, dig out your teleport and see, if you are looking for lower speed distance the PLASMA Wave is awesome, lots of love I think.. I bag it beside a neutron IME is a great stable complement, tons o glide.

FH I don't know, I'm not interjecting on that one.. I'm throwing a fission Tesla but definitely not a plasma and severely unqualified here. I do have a fission Photon or 3 that I love in super lightweight 143-155.. The 143 is a blast, think 150 Flick. Also not qualified for the fast discs. Fireball is the the FB clone I think

I'll just stop there.. For now

Last edited:
If streamline is included, the flare is like the beefiest firebird you can find. It's great for overhands, flex flicks, forehand rollers, skip shots, etc.

Fairway- dig out that Volt and see how it treats you, the fairway equivalent is the Crave that I bag and fission Volts both get tons o love. I'd say edge to the Volt if it's in your power zone. That's going to be a teebird or tl for you depending where it's at. Get a volt in fission in a lighter weight and you're a happy dude. 1 mold double duty.

Toss in a Relay, seriously, RELAY and stop spending for now..

There is much wisdom here, Grasshopper.

So you got your Envy/Proxy then I would go Pyro for a headless Gator type mid, Crave covers that stable/understable fairway, throw in a Flare or Motion depending on how much beefy you want(I go Flare all day it's a beeftastic disc) grab a Wave for the Shryke slot and maybe a Matrix or a Photon to cover some lines.

That is basically one run on sentence, sorry.

Hi all. Getting back into disc golf after a 2 year layoff. I am wanting to build a new bag with MVP/Axiom. I wanting to start with multiples of about 5 basic molds to start. I am thinking that these slots will be in this format:

Slot (current Innova disc/OS-FH compliment/US compliment) - New MVP/Axoim disc

Here is what ive got so far. Can you recommend some comparable or better MVP/Axoim molds for me and then maybe the OS compliment to that disc?

Distance (shryke) - ???

I have a few other MVP molds in my stash like either a teleport or relativity and a volt I think. Recommendations are welcome and Thank You!

The fairway and mids were my problem with trying to make a full overmold bag. The fairway drivers are flat and sometimes concave. Not much consistency or fun to throw imo.
Also what i learned is the champion like mvp/axiom plastic (proton) seemed to be the more US of the plastics. The neutrons (star type plastic) seem to be more OS or true to the flight numbers.

Putter:
Atom- feels small and shallow rimmed. Easy to throw on all angles.
Envy- a must for a mostly OS putter mold
Mid:
idk yeh, try a Reactor, i havent yet but you may like it.
Entropy: may be rat/gator like?
Fairway:
Volt is a great straight line beautiful disc. Def dig that one back out. Dont ignore streamline the *Lift and *Drift should cover the rest of the slots.
Fireball- OS firebird like disc
Streamlime Flare- firebird alternative
Distance:
Catalyst- bomber of a disc but can feel a little strange in the hand.
Mayhem- farthest disc i have thrown, it keeps impressing me with its sneaky distance. In Proton its more US.

I got really frustrated with the inconsistency of MVP/Axiom when i tried to throw all gyro and only have a few molds left in my bag.

I got really frustrated with the inconsistency of MVP/Axiom when i tried to throw all gyro and only have a few molds left in my bag.

I find that interesting. I found MVP to be among the most consistent. This is why I never really bought tons of backups. If I lose a disc, I can just hop online and order a new one, and so far they've been identical. I know I couldn't do that with many other manufacturers. Are they perfect? Probably not, no. But dang good imo. I haven't found a reason to complain. I'm also admittedly not that good, and therefore, might not be able to discern subtle differences. But across the several molds I bag and have done this, I haven't been disappointed.

I find that interesting. I found MVP to be among the most consistent. This is why I never really bought tons of backups. If I lose a disc, I can just hop online and order a new one, and so far they've been identical. I know I couldn't do that with many other manufacturers. Are they perfect? Probably not, no. But dang good imo. I haven't found a reason to complain. I'm also admittedly not that good, and therefore, might not be able to discern subtle differences. But across the several molds I bag and have done this, I haven't been disappointed.

It was mostly the distance/fairway drivers. Fairway,There were noticeable differences in where the rim met the flight plate. It drove me insane trying to buy based off the flight numbers.
The distance drivers , some were domey and some were flat. Made wild changes in the flight from disc to disc.
Spent wayyyy too much money trying to get 2 similar discs.

I'm not a big fan of the MVP/Axiom discs and I've tried a bunch of them.

I do currently bag the Envy (two actually) as I still think it may be the best throwing putter ever.

I have a few discs that I did enjoy enough to keep and put in my stash but most of them I gave away. The keepers are the Ion, the Volt, the Servo, and the Inertia. I think I kept an Amp as well.

I get wanting to put together a bag with just one manufacturer. I briefly did it with Discmania and once (mostly just for fun) with Discraft. That being said, I much prefer to rock a mixed bag. Unless some company wants to pay me to bag their stuff exclusively, I will just throw whichever discs happen to work best for me regardless of who makes them.

It was mostly the distance/fairway drivers. Fairway,There were noticeable differences in where the rim met the flight plate. It drove me insane trying to buy based off the flight numbers.
The distance drivers , some were domey and some were flat. Made wild changes in the flight from disc to disc.
Spent wayyyy too much money trying to get 2 similar discs.

Hmm. Interesting. Most of the multiples I've bought are drivers. Insanity, wrath, and volt being the most numerous. The only difference I ever noticed was from going from proton/neutron to plasma. Plasma being more domey. Otherwise, there was one really bad stretch in my disc golf career where I bought like 6 insanities in one month. All proton. All absolutely identical.

Not saying you are wrong in anyway at all. I just find it interesting that one of the reasons I am super loyal to a brand, another player has different experiences.

Hmm. Interesting. Most of the multiples I've bought are drivers. Insanity, wrath, and volt being the most numerous. The only difference I ever noticed was from going from proton/neutron to plasma. Plasma being more domey. Otherwise, there was one really bad stretch in my disc golf career where I bought like 6 insanities in one month. All proton. All absolutely identical.

Not saying you are wrong in anyway at all. I just find it interesting that one of the reasons I am super loyal to a brand, another player has different experiences.

This was a couple years ago. Maybe they cleaned it up going in-house but i bought at least 40 different discs from mvp/axiom.

Here's my final observation of MVP drivers. They WILL give you good distance, but you'll have to earn it. I've never thrown any driver of theirs that was floaty or provided easy distance. I don't feel like the discs have remarkable glide.

Drivers like the Octane, Relativity, and Catalyst will bomb, but be prepared to throw them hard. If you let up on them even a little you'll notice pretty significant distance loss.

Here's my final observation of MVP drivers. They WILL give you good distance, but you'll have to earn it. I've never thrown any driver of theirs that was floaty or provided easy distance. I don't feel like the discs have remarkable glide.

Drivers like the Octane, Relativity, and Catalyst will bomb, but be prepared to throw them hard. If you let up on them even a little you'll notice pretty significant distance loss.

Would agree with that, the Mayhem might be the one exception. Those will flip and run if you get a domey one.