• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever play in a tournament?

Have you ever played in a DG Tournament?

• Yes

Votes: 113 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 26.1%

• Total voters

G Bud

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Okay Goof balls. Here my first try at this. There seems to be a lot of talk and even more questions about rules and tournament play. SO let's see how many of us have delved into the world of competitive DG. Now let's be honest and talk about real tournaments with divisions & rules and the like. Not out playing skins with your friends. I know I can never get enough tournament play. What say you?

Good idea for a poll. It will be interesting to see the results, though I suppose most people who read these forums and signed up for the site are fairly big into DG.

I've never played a tourney, but this is the first year I've gotten serious about DG. My goal is to enter one next year, once I hopefully become more consistant and confident in my game.

I've recently started playing competitively with a couple buddies and it makes it a lot more fun and exciting, that's for sure!

played for nine months before my first tourney, and never looked back. casual rounds just dont compare. although it does raise the expense level quit a bit, but you end up with a lot more cool plastic and you will know a lot more people. highly recommended.....

Tourneys are fun, even if you suck worse than normal.

I really enjoy playing in tournaments. You meet some really interesting characters and some great people. Sometimes they fit into both of those categories at once. There is denfinately more pressure in a tournament but I feel that pressure forces me to up my game and play better which is great for someone like myself that has a high competative drive.

Nice!! I found the head game was the hardest to over come. (and still is)

I really enjoy playing in tournaments. Also, the more I play, the more locals you run into over and over, and the friendships develop. I have made may friends at tournaments, and my wife met the girlfriend of one of the guys I met, and now she and my wife are very good friends.

I really enjoy playing in tournaments. Also, the more I play, the more locals you run into over and over, and the friendships develop. I have made may friends at tournaments, and my wife met the girlfriend of one of the guys I met, and now she and my wife are very good friends.

You right, good people on the tour and it brings folks from all over together for the same purpose. I got in to touring in 92 because my girl is an actor and she went out on the road for like 6 months. Told her while she was gone I was going to jump into the sport with both feet and I've been a tournament junkie ever since. Gathered enough points for the AM Worlds invite that year. Her tour ended in San Diego for two weeks and since I had never been on the left coast I hooked up with her, discs in hand. Because of that I got to play Morley Field and played a round with Snapper Pierson. Two things I will never forget.

I played in the first tournament at Giles Run in Virginia. Someone talked me into playing in the recreational level, but I think I should have stayed with the beginners. in both rounds I played with a guy from my area in NY and we both live in the same area of Maryland, but chose that wekend to play in Virginia (lot of coincidences)

I played in the first tournament at Giles Run in Virginia. Someone talked me into playing in the recreational level, but I think I should have stayed with the beginners. in both rounds I played with a guy from my area in NY and we both live in the same area of Maryland, but chose that wekend to play in Virginia (lot of coincidences)

I played my first tournament in 12 years there last Fall. What a great course and outstanding for tournament play. I hope the hook up was worth the beat up.;)

local weekly 5 dolla tourneys count?
or we looking for real tournaments? with officials , organizers, prizes etc

I like playing in tournaments for the competition aspect. It's amazing how much pressure i felt lining up to shoot off the tee, upshots, and ESPECIALLY putts during my first tournament. It is a whole different experience than playing ready golf with 5 people constantly chatting and/or drinking. I like the quiet etiquette of a tournament; you don't have to feel stupid for asking somehow to be quiet.

Also, it is always inspiring (sometimes frustrating) to see better players and how they shoot. Most people are friendly and supportive regardless of your division or skill level. And, if you shoot bad, maybe you'll hit the ace pot or CTP. If not that, buy a raffle ticket!

I like playing in tournaments for the competition aspect. It's amazing how much pressure i felt lining up to shoot off the tee, upshots, and ESPECIALLY putts during my first tournament. It is a whole different experience than playing ready golf with 5 people constantly chatting and/or drinking. I like the quiet etiquette of a tournament; you don't have to feel stupid for asking somehow to be quiet.

Also, it is always inspiring (sometimes frustrating) to see better players and how they shoot. Most people are friendly and supportive regardless of your division or skill level. And, if you shoot bad, maybe you'll hit the ace pot or CTP. If not that, buy a raffle ticket!

One of my favorite things at tournaments is when they mix up the divisions for the first round. You never know who you might get to play with. I got to play with Ken Climo at a 1st round at Duck Golf one year. It was quite a thrill for an Advance Am (That's what we called them back then) to play with a World Champion. Another one of those "never forgetters"

hey yeah i want to get involve with tournys as well... but when it says PDGA C tier... does that mean i need a PDGA # and if so how do i get one..

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a member to participate on the PDGA tour. But if you plan on playing a bunch of them it may be worth the membership fee. The tier thing is just the level of the tournament like in BG they have the 5 majors and then the lower tier tournaments.

hey yeah i want to get involve with tournys as well... but when it says PDGA C tier... does that mean i need a PDGA # and if so how do i get one..

Go here to join pdga. you can join as an amateur player and play pdga a,b,c tier events at your appropriate skill level (advanced, intermediate, rec)
http://www.pdga.org/join?

Most tourneys let you play if you're not a pdga member, but they tack on an extra $10 or so. If you're going to play more than one tournament its probably worth it to register with pdga to save the $10 every time plus you get a membership pack with a disc, and a mini. I think its a pretty good deal.

Latest posts