• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever play in a tournament?

Have you ever played in a DG Tournament?

• Yes

Votes: 113 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 26.1%

• Total voters
One of my favorite things at tournaments is when they mix up the divisions for the first round. You never know who you might get to play with. I got to play with Ken Climo at a 1st round at Duck Golf one year. It was quite a thrill for an Advance Am (That's what we called them back then) to play with a World Champion. Another one of those "never forgetters"

That sounds AWESOME! Sounds like a great memory. I think I would be second guessing all my shots in front of a champion. :eek:

Basically, the tier breakdown is as such...

D-tier: Designed for areas that are new to disc golf and this is their very first PDGA sanctioned tournament.
C-tier: An event designed to be a local draw.
B-tier: Regional draw
A-Tier: a semi-national scope
NT: National Tour. Sort of the "mid-major" events that most of the touring pros make it to.
Major: Am Worlds, Pro Worlds, USDGC, etc...

With each level, there is an expectation of a certain amount of prize money and a no-compete radius where you can't schedule another tournament within so many miles of that event. for the A-tier and above, you are required to be a PDGA member.

Basically, the tier breakdown is as such...

D-tier: Designed for areas that are new to disc golf and this is their very first PDGA sanctioned tournament.
C-tier: An event designed to be a local draw.
B-tier: Regional draw
A-Tier: a semi-national scope
NT: National Tour. Sort of the "mid-major" events that most of the touring pros make it to.
Major: Am Worlds, Pro Worlds, USDGC, etc...

With each level, there is an expectation of a certain amount of prize money and a no-compete radius where you can't schedule another tournament within so many miles of that event. for the A-tier and above, you are required to be a PDGA member.

Thanks! I was just to lazy to go look it up.

I generally play in a few tournaments a year. I live in NC so there is one pretty much every weekend so I can take my pick. As for this year I think I might be done with tournaments even though my home course in Hickory's tournament is next weekend. Seems every year school starts I put disc golf on the back burner.

I've never played in a tourny, but I plan on playing one sometime soon.. I just don't want to have to drive an hour to go to my first one. lol.

I generally play in a few tournaments a year. I live in NC so there is one pretty much every weekend so I can take my pick. As for this year I think I might be done with tournaments even though my home course in Hickory's tournament is next weekend. Seems every year school starts I put disc golf on the back burner.

That also happened to me but it wasn't school. It was life and work that kept me away from the game for 10+ years. The odd part was I didn't even realize it happened. So don't let that happen to you. Keep on the back burner but at a low simmer. Good luck!

I've never played in a tourny, but I plan on playing one sometime soon.. I just don't want to have to drive an hour to go to my first one. lol.

Back in the day we would travel 4 & 5 hours to play events. Then, if you gathered enough points you got an invite to the Worlds so there and you got points just for playing. There were a couple of years we were traveling every weekend and playing in all sorts of weather. Hope you get to one soon. Once you play one the hunger will grow and that hour might not seem so bad.

I guess I'm a tournament "junkie". We have 14-16 tournaments on the State series here in S.Carolina, and I usually make every one. There are also about 4-6 every year in/around the region that I also tend to play....in fact one coming up in 2 weeks....Border Wars which is SC vs. Ga in which it is bring your own partner doubles. It breaks down in divisions, pros vs. pros, Adv. ams vs Adv. ams...etc....The state that has the most wins takes home the trophy. We play one course in Ga. <Toccoa>, the one course in SC <Seneca>. A LOT of fun to be had...it's still a tournament, but a much more laid back style.

I guess I'm a tournament "junkie". We have 14-16 tournaments on the State series here in S.Carolina, and I usually make every one. There are also about 4-6 every year in/around the region that I also tend to play....in fact one coming up in 2 weeks....Border Wars which is SC vs. Ga in which it is bring your own partner doubles. It breaks down in divisions, pros vs. pros, Adv. ams vs Adv. ams...etc....The state that has the most wins takes home the trophy. We play one course in Ga. <Toccoa>, the one course in SC <Seneca>. A LOT of fun to be had...it's still a tournament, but a much more laid back style.

They easily become addictive.

Anyone within a few hours drive needs to check out the NC Homegrown Tour. It is one day events a private courses all around NC (mostly in the Triangle area, but we played Brackett's Bluff this year). One or two per month, $20 buy in, multiple divisions, great selection of plastic and merchandise for payout. The merchandise if particularly cool- I'm not anywhere near good enough to play pro but have plenty of plastic, so I have gotten a set of pint glasses, a couple of shot glasses, a stash mini, some t-shirts, and a towel. Plus they get CFR plastic. But the best thing is they are all on private courses, so you don't need to look over your shoulder for people with no sideburns. In other words, the duck flies at midnight. Anyway, check out a Homegrown event, you'll be glad you did.

I forgot, also no extra fee for non-PDGA members and a points race for each division (I think) for a basket at the end of the year. And you get to play your first round with your friends if you sign up early enough, and they mix divisions the first round so I have gotten to play with a few sponsored pros, including Jeremy Koling.

Last edited:
Anyone within a few hours drive needs to check out the NC Homegrown Tour. It is one day events a private courses all around NC (mostly in the Triangle area, but we played Brackett's Bluff this year). One or two per month, $20 buy in, multiple divisions, great selection of plastic and merchandise for payout. The merchandise if particularly cool- I'm not anywhere near good enough to play pro but have plenty of plastic, so I have gotten a set of pint glasses, a couple of shot glasses, a stash mini, some t-shirts, and a towel. Plus they get CFR plastic. But the best thing is they are all on private courses, so you don't need to look over your shoulder for people with no sideburns. In other words, the duck flies at midnight. Anyway, check out a Homegrown event, you'll be glad you did.

Back in the day RADL was one of the biggest clubs in the country. Got my RADL mini.

i commuted from richmond to every radl monthly but one the first year i played tournaments because there was little or nothing going on in va.

i commuted from richmond to every radl monthly but one the first year i played tournaments because there was little or nothing going on in va.

Back in the day we had to depend on flyers or word & mouth to hear about tourneys. Technology has made that an easy chore now. :D