• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Expensive for the sake of being expensive

I seriously doubt that.
As someone thats been playing awhile, most dudes I know my age don't bother with spending an arm and a leg on replacing anything exactly cause its a losing game.
I don't see any point in hunting down CE, for instance, cause its rapidly degrading at this point, and the idea of "investing" in plastic seems ludicrous.

There are too many good new options out there for smart folks to enjoy and get exactly what they want for way cheaper. And much more replaceable than they ever were before.

In my experience, the people that are bidding up old school discs aren't the same people that threw them when they were knew, cause those folks are actually still throwing discs, not staring at them in a bin, lol. Seems like there is a definite age gap in the "collector" market, honestly, that skews way younger than what is the assumed age of a collector.

Old school dudes still know how to find what they need on the cheap, even if it is from a new company, just like they always did.
(For point of reference, I bought most of my first Innova from a bike repair shop, lol. There probably wasn't another place to buy discs for 300 miles at the time. I do still have my first Aviar and Zephyr though...)

Alright, man, you just keep telling yourself whatever you like about how all you older dudes are way smarter and more savvy than younger folks. Fwiw, I'm 34, but have only been playing 5 years so I'm guessing I'd be "young" in your (rather pejorative) view. Still, I've seen plenty of 40+ year olds buying and throwing older discs; they've often also got more disposable income to do it with than many people in their 20's. I have a friend in his mid 40's who plays in just about every local tournament in the area that has an advanced master's division, and he's got more CE/11x/whatever than anyone I know. I'd certainly never hold that against him though; he's a great guy and a lot of fun to play with. As has been said over and over in this thread, spend your money on and throw whatever makes you happy, but please don't criticize others for doing the same.

I seriously doubt that.
As someone thats been playing awhile, most dudes I know my age don't bother with spending an arm and a leg on replacing anything exactly cause its a losing game.
I don't see any point in hunting down CE, for instance, cause its rapidly degrading at this point, and the idea of "investing" in plastic seems ludicrous.

There are too many good new options out there for smart folks to enjoy and get exactly what they want for way cheaper. And much more replaceable than they ever were before.

In my experience, the people that are bidding up old school discs aren't the same people that threw them when they were knew, cause those folks are actually still throwing discs, not staring at them in a bin, lol

I get what your saying here. It does seem like there is a lot of "its awesome because its CE/11x/Ontario tooled whatever" and a fair number of people buying then actually have no idea why they were preferred runs in the first plade

Alright, man, you just keep telling yourself whatever you like about how all you older dudes are way smarter and more savvy than younger folks. Fwiw, I'm 34, but have only been playing 5 years so I'm guessing I'd be "young" in your (rather pejorative) view. Still, I've seen plenty of 40+ year olds buying and throwing older discs; they've often also got more disposable income to do it with than many people in their 20's. I have a friend in his mid 40's who plays in just about every local tournament in the area that has an advanced master's division, and he's got more CE/11x/whatever than anyone I know. I'd certainly never hold that against him though; he's a great guy and a lot of fun to play with. As has been said over and over in this thread, spend your money on and throw whatever makes you happy, but please don't criticize others for doing the same.

I'm pretty sure my comment didn't approach any of the BS you are accusing me of, and if your ear is aiming you in the direction if being oversensitive to the topic than it usually means you might be less informed than you think you are.
The point was, most guys that I know that have been playing for 20+ years are cheap and practical (often regardless of income too, btw), thats all.
But, you know, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my comment didn't approach any of the BS you are accusing me of, and if your ear is aiming you in the direction if being oversensitive to the topic than it usually means you might be less informed than you think you are.
The point was, most guys that I know that have been playing for 20+ years are cheap and practical (often regardless of income too, btw), thats all.
But, you know, whatever floats your boat.

Sorry, but I found your comment to be offensively age-ist, which is why I responded the way I did. I personally have met plenty of older disc golfers who do not meet your criteria, but maybe all the ones you know are very thrifty and only throw stock discs that they can buy on the cheap. Whatever, it doesn't matter; it's just my anecdotal evidence against your anecdotal evidence. If you read my personal example in an earlier post though, I was talking about replacing my 2013 AJ Teebird. I *do* know what I like to throw, and the disc I was trying to replace wasn't CE, 11x, or anything else that wasn't around when I started playing disc golf.

There are actually plenty of examples in this very thread of people who have been playing a long time defending their own right to spend whatever amount they want to buy older runs of discs that are similar to what they grew up throwing. You can read their comments yourself; I didn't just make that idea up out of the blue. Honestly, I'm also sure that some of your original comment was correct, in that there are plenty of younger golfers who hear CE talked up to the high heavens and want to try it out, so they bid up auctions to get it. It was the better-than-thou tone of your post and the idea that older golfers are just way too smart to pay higher than stock prices that annoyed me.

I buy X-out CE JLS for < $20 a pop. And throw the sh!t out of them. And they clean up in the shower so so nice.

I buy X-out CE JLS for < $20 a pop. And throw the sh!t out of them. And they clean up in the shower so so nice.

Lol, thanks for the humor David! I've got a 1.6 run JLS sitting on the shelf somewhere. Only CE-era disc I ever paid money for, and I don't even like it. Meet me for a round sometime and you can have it. Seems like a shame to mail it when we live in the same city.

just dont drop them ...

Soap+prison+rape_176fe5_4439762.gif

It's amazing how butthurt people are in this thread. :popcorn:

Haha, yeah fair assessment. Definitely my fault the last couple pages. Usually I try to limit myself to comments that might be reasonably construed as helpful. However, every now and then I react to something, and my fingers find the keyboard before my brain engages to tell them that it's pointless to fight with people on the Internet. Enjoy that popcorn, but I'll try to keep myself away from the butt hurt in future.