• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Faction: Craft Disc Revolution

When is The Faction going to start making some US discs for noodle armed geezers? I LOVE the idea of supporting up-and-coming companies but I really can't use a lot of the current discs.

When is The Faction going to start making some US discs for noodle armed geezers? I LOVE the idea of supporting up-and-coming companies but I really can't use a lot of the current discs.

You may find that you really enjoy a Ptero (Stable/Flex Fairway) or a Serpent (ultra straight driving putter for me)

I did an ace race style event with SERPS and Scales and it was very well recieved, would highly reccomend.

Check out the Lithium mid-range - flies slightly under/neutral. Also, our Chromium (soon to be PDGA approved) is also a neutral flier (9 speed, but easy to throw). And the Plutonium is a nice, neutral p&a that is easy to throw too...

Congrats. I will warn you that your site is pushing your products way to the right on mobile.

Edit: does this mean the end of fossil wizards?

Mobile issue has been resolved :wall: - all should be working well now...
Let us know if there are any other issues you experience with the relaunched site.

Thanks!

I don't see a shopping link when I go to the main site. If I search for it through Google, that link takes me to a page with them all pushed to the right. This is using Chrome on Android.

Also, our Chromium (soon to be PDGA approved) is also a neutral flier (9 speed, but easy to throw).

Man that sounds interesting any thoughts initial flight numbers? And when they will be available? Non-premium plastic option?

My bag is finally settled but I might be interested in something between the Heat and the OLF which this sounds like it will be.

Also I wouldn't hate it if Faction came out with a Viper competitor (super overstable but yet glidely fast mid/ slow fairway). ;)

Last edited:
Man that sounds interesting any thoughts initial flight numbers? And when they will be available? Non-premium plastic option?

My bag is finally settled but I might be interested in something between the Heat and the OLF which this sounds like it will be.

Also I wouldn't hate it if Faction came out with a Viper competitor (super overstable but yet glidely fast mid/ slow fairway). ;)

Initial flight for the Chromium looks to be 9/5/-1/1
Should be PDGA approved within 1-2 weeks.
Will be available on website then as well.
Currently only done in our Hydra blend - we actually have a small batch in our Hydra Ice blend too (and not only clear, but some colored ice too). The hydra in this run are also very swirly in many cases, so the colors look great.

Darn edit window - The FactionDG.com site seems to be working good for me. It's the http://elementdiscs.com/store/c35/discs.html page that I found through Google that is pushing to the right still.

Yeah - that page has been taken down (the old store that was directly on the ElementDiscs.com site) - google may probably be leading you there on accident. Eventually that will drop off from google - i'll see about doing some redirects for those bad links - kind of annoying, but kind of out of our hands until google 're-indexes'

And yes, go directly to www.factiondg.com

Initial flight for the Chromium looks to be 9/5/-1/1
Should be PDGA approved within 1-2 weeks.
Will be available on website then as well.
Currently only done in our Hydra blend - we actually have a small batch in our Hydra Ice blend too (and not only clear, but some colored ice too). The hydra in this run are also very swirly in many cases, so the colors look great.

Is the Hydra more a Star like Armor or is a Champion style?

Any plans for a base or pro style plastic one day?

Yeah - that page has been taken down (the old store that was directly on the ElementDiscs.com site) - google may probably be leading you there on accident. Eventually that will drop off from google - i'll see about doing some redirects for those bad links - kind of annoying, but kind of out of our hands until google 're-indexes'

And yes, go directly to www.factiondg.com

That's what I figured it was, thought I'd let you know anyway.

Alright! Proto 8! (Keith, have a name picked for it yet?)

I'll start with the very first impression upon opening the package... WOW! Beautiful swirly pink plastic! I'm a sucker for swirly/streaked/pearly plastics and this is a swirly pink like Discmania would kill to get. None of the puke-green mess that so many of the swirly Innova/DM come out as, these Proto 8s are gorgeous! I mean, look at the pictures... They're nice.

The plastic is a firm Star type blend with good rigidity and still soft enough to retain great grip. I'm not sure if it's just the release medium from the injection molding or if it's the poly blend, but they almost have a waxy feel - as if you mixed KC Pro and Star. Very good feeling plastic.

Now, the feel of the mold. Damn. All I have to say... Damn. It has a tweener mid/fairway bottom wing, but with a really nice blunted nose that nestles into your hand wonderfully for both backhand and forehand grips. Moreover, the where the bottom wing meets the inner flight plate is rounded over. So instead of an abrupt 90° angle, you have a very smooth transition. This, combined with the blunted wing, makes for the most comfortable forehand grip I've ever had. It nestles up to the pad of my middle finger underneath and gentle settled into the thenar space between my thumb and index finger. It's just begging for a big rip on a forehand flex.

Then comes the flight. I initially drove to a course about 4 miles away from my office just to get in some field work and test a few open holes. To my delight, this flew even better than I was expecting. It's a little faster than the OS mids that I typically bag (Prodigy M1, Discmania MD3) with comparable glide. However, it definitely beats both on stability. I have had a hard time finding an overstable mid that really suited what I was looking for. On a high spike hyzer both the MD3 and M1 would flip up more than I wanted and never held that hyzer angle as I wanted. This lead me to using a Kaxe or Andro-C in their place for that shot. First tests with the Element Proto 8 gave me just what I'd been looking for!

When thrown flat, there is just a hair of high-speed turn. And I mean a freaking hair. Ripped flat at full power, the total lateral play was about 10' total off the straight line I put it on. Then it bit in with a decently aggressive fade. Nothing overbearing, but a good, reliable cut. When put up on a high hyzer, it barely flattens at all. I threw about 10 shots back and forth on this line and had MUCH less play in the flight than I had with most OS mids besides the glideless bricks like Drones and Justice that just want to seek the ground as quickly as possible.

I ended up using this for my Tuesday league this week and threw it off the pad a few times - twice parking ~300' holes with the effortless control I was getting out of this disc. It is truly a great control mid/driver for moderate arms.

I would put the flight ratings fresh out of the box around a 6/5/-.5/3 Very, very handy disc that kicked some other mids right away. I'm now bagging the Proto 8 (which needs a better name) the Lithium, and a Prodigy M4 as my mids and they cover every slot I need. One step closer to Factionizing my bag! :thmbup:

All in all, the Proto 8 is a definite winner and I look forward to how Element/Faction progresses with it.

Last edited:
Alright! Proto 8! (Keith, have a name picked for it yet?)

I'll start with the very first impression upon opening the package... WOW! Beautiful swirly pink plastic! I'm a sucker for swirly/streaked/pearly plastics and this is a swirly pink like Discmania would kill to get. None of the puke-green mess that so many of the swirly Innova/DM come out as, these Proto 8s are gorgeous! I mean, look at the pictures... They're nice.

The plastic is a firm Star type blend with good rigidity and still soft enough to retain great grip. I'm not sure if it's just the release medium from the injection molding or if it's the poly blend, but they almost have a waxy feel - as if you mixed KC Pro and Star. Very good feeling plastic.

Now, the feel of the mold. Damn. All I have to say... Damn. It has a tweener mid/fairway bottom wing, but with a really nice blunted nose that nestles into your hand wonderfully for both backhand and forehand grips. Moreover, the where the bottom wing meets the inner flight plate is rounded over. So instead of an abrupt 90° angle, you have a very smooth transition. This, combined with the blunted wing, makes for the most comfortable forehand grip I've ever had. It nestles up to the pad of my middle finger underneath and gentle settled into the thenar space between my thumb and index finger. It's just begging for a big rip on a forehand flex.

Then comes the flight. I initially drove to a course about 4 miles away from my office just to get in some field work and test a few open holes. To my delight, this flew even better than I was expecting. It's a little faster than the OS mids that I typically bag (Prodigy M1, Discmania MD3) with comparable glide. However, it definitely beats both on stability. I have had a hard time finding an overstable mid that really suited what I was looking for. On a high spike hyzer both the MD3 and M1 would flip up more than I wanted and never held that hyzer angle as I wanted. This lead me to using a Kaxe or Andro-C in their place for that shot. First tests with the Element Proto 8 gave me just what I'd been looking for!

When thrown flat, there is just a hair of high-speed turn. And I mean a freaking hair. Ripped flat at full power, the total lateral play was about 10' total off the straight line I put it on. Then it bit in with a decently aggressive fade. Nothing overbearing, but a good, reliable cut. When put up on a high hyzer, it barely flattens at all. I threw about 10 shots back and forth on this line and had MUCH less play in the flight than I had with most OS mids besides the glideless bricks like Drones and Justice that just want to seek the ground as quickly as possible.

I ended up using this for my Tuesday league this week and threw it off the pad a few times - twice parking ~300' holes with the effortless control I was getting out of this disc. It is truly a great control mid/driver for moderate arms.

I would put the flight ratings fresh out of the box around a 6/5/-.5/3 Very, very handy disc that kicked some other mids right away. I'm now bagging the Proto 8 (which needs a better name) the Lithium, and a Prodigy M4 as my mids and they cover every slot I need. One step closer to Factionizing my bag! :thmbup:

All in all, the Proto 8 is a definite winner and I look forward to how Element/Faction progresses with it.

I really appreciate this great in-depth look at the Proto8. It is on it's way to PDGA approval (should be approved this month or November)! Lots of locals here are very excited to have this thing approved for 'official use' in the future!

... Um. I may have accidentally used it in a C-Tier... Forgot about that approval. WHOOPS! Luckily, I suck enough than no one would care if I was only throwing by spitting watermelon seeds down the fairway. :D

That proto 8 kind of sounds like my E Warrior...J Cass any chance they'd be close flight wise?