• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Favorite discontinued discs/molds/plastics?

DeanMoriarty

Do Not Disturb
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Mine would have to be the RFF plastic from Gateway. Love the grip and love the softness/flexibility. I'm getting a Lunar plastic Wizard in the mail in a week so pretty excited about that.

Dynamic Discs Lucid Witness. I loved that disc. It was a 'go to' disc when I started playing (2019). Lost two of them (separate rounds) and when I went to get another I found they were OOP. The disappointment was real.

Vibram soft Summits for playing catch with is the only disc I am truly bummed out about. Lost last one about 3 years ago and can't bring myself to current price. I keep expecting a new pressed rubber maker or Vibram to come back.

Vibram soft Summits for playing catch with is the only disc I am truly bummed out about. Lost last one about 3 years ago and can't bring myself to current price. I keep expecting a new pressed rubber maker or Vibram to come back.

Keep your eyes on eBay.. every once in awhile I see a soft Summit going for less than $50 which I still think is ridiculous to pay but hey, these are unprecedented times.

FLX Buzzz, Banshee in general (EXP-X shouldn't exist...just produce the damn Banshee), OG Tank, didn't the Tursas or Fuse get discontinued?, DX BB Aviar, Medium Wizards, FLs, SLs, P-PDs, Nebulas (Bro-D shoutout!!!), Drones in most plastics, Surge SS, Avenger, APX, Cyclone, Gazelle, ummmm...should I keep going?

Did an FLX Comet ever exist?

FLX Buzzz, Banshee in general (EXP-X shouldn't exist...just produce the damn Banshee), OG Tank, didn't the Tursas or Fuse get discontinued?, DX BB Aviar, Medium Wizards, FLs, SLs, P-PDs, Nebulas (Bro-D shoutout!!!), Drones in most plastics, Surge SS, Avenger, APX, Cyclone, Gazelle, ummmm...should I keep going?

Did an FLX Comet ever exist?

ppd hurts i forgot about that one

Does anyone know what happened with UB Discs? Pretty sure I have an all-black no stamp Lex putter I got back in 2007.. I guess I'll have to post a pic in that one thread that helps identify discs.

I also have a 1080 Radius putter I got back when I first started playing and had zero idea about discs. Still to this day one of my go-to putters. I'm not sure if 1080 made anything other than that Radius putter.

Salient Liquid plastic is probably my all time favorite. Unfortunately it was ever only really useable in the backdraft.

I also miss Elasto/Fluid plastic and it's a bummer I never got a Harp or Stag in that plastic.

I also have a 1080 Radius putter I got back when I first started playing and had zero idea about discs. Still to this day one of my go-to putters. I'm not sure if 1080 made anything other than that Radius putter.
They didn't even make that putter. The 1080 Radius straight-up were Gateway Warlocks made by Gateway; the plastic blend was different than a usual Gateway plastic and I think they had a different core piece made so the tooling was different, but in practice it was just a Gateway Warlock.

They didn't even make that putter. The 1080 Radius straight-up were Gateway Warlocks made by Gateway; the plastic blend was different than a usual Gateway plastic and I think they had a different core piece made so the tooling was different, but in practice it was just a Gateway Warlock.

I've read that on that one site that catalogs all the defunct disc brands.

Isn't there another company called Reptilian Discs that is basically Gateway?

Suspects, especially the Lucid-X plastic ones. Discovered them too late and currently I'm only bagging one. The few that go on sale are $50+ around here used, even more for new ones.

Star Aviar Driver, R-Pro Roc and Roc+

I've switched to Diamond Wizards, so it's not a total loss. As for Roc's, I have a healthy (lol) supply and enough 30yrs to last me a lifetime.

Favorite = Aero. Not only one of my favorite discs for putter rounds but I used to buy these in bulk to give to newbs.

Most used = Discraft Impact in ESP plastic. My most used woods disc. When I've exhausted my back ups it will re-replaced by a champ Leopard.

There are currently no Lightning discs for sale at GGGT. Maybe it's just a matter of the production issues that everyone is having, but if they've gone OOP I'm going to miss the Upshot.

I've read that on that one site that catalogs all the defunct disc brands.

Isn't there another company called Reptilian Discs that is basically Gateway?
The subtle difference between 1080 Disc Golf and Reptilian is that Reptilian has a groove top that is a different mold piece that they put on the Wizard to make the Scale and the Magic to make the Serpent. They also have a flat top they use on the Warrior to make the Gila. You can't just replace a Gila with a Warrior, the Warrior is less OS. You can straight up replace a Radius with a Warlock (although the Radius has this weird cult following and all the Radius throwers SWEAR that you can't) because it's the same disc.

The 1080 Disc Golf concept was to approach all the manufacturers (which at the time was like five) and release an existing mold in a new plastic under a different name. Gateway was the only manufacturer that would go for the idea, so at some point if became clear that the Radius was the only disc they were going to be able to make. The idea just lost steam and they shut down.

Which is too bad since the Radius was a huge East-coast cult putter there for a little bit. They probably could have pushed a few more runs of that disc, but there was clearly a limit to how far they could go with the original concept they had. Reptilian shows that they could have adapted the concept and worked with Gateway on some new discs, but hindsight is always 20/20.

There are currently no Lightning discs for sale at GGGT. Maybe it's just a matter of the production issues that everyone is having, but if they've gone OOP I'm going to miss the Upshot.
I just had this conversation a few weeks ago:

Other Dude: What was that?

Me: A Lightning Upshot.

OD: What do those do?

Me: It flies like a beat Polecat.

OD: *blink* *long pause* Who the Hell would throw a beat Polecat?

This guy!

Latest posts