• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Putter and Why?

What: X link Ridge
Why: Does everything well out of the box, rubber composition means this will never change.

Cryztal Challenger for putts, D Challenger for drives. Why? Predictability.

Pro Ryhno. Just feels good in my hands and seems to work better than any other putter I've tried so far.

IONs, definitely. I usually have one medium driving and putting, and one soft first run if it's an especially touchy shot. Currently I've switched to a regular soft though, the mediums get slippery in ~40 degree Fahrenheit weather.

I also carry a firm Ridge when it's windy or I want the disc to drop down faster.

What: X link Ridge
Why: Does everything well out of the box, rubber composition means this will never change.

Not completely true. Several of my Ridges along with my friend's Ridge have developed a concave top. It is not drastic, but it is noticeable. It also does not affect the flight much, but it does knock some of its low speed stability out of it while adding a little glide.

I have/ had five of them of them and even the X-Link firm has developed this concave top. The Firm is the least noticeable though. If I were to buy more Ridges, I would go after the Firms because of this. I have also noticed that my Summits and VPs have not developed this top, so apparently it is in the design and not necessarily the rubber material.

I like my Aviar, but learned the hard way why I need something heavier. Ten feet out for a birdie, gust of wind grabbed the thing and blew it out. Rolled about twenty feet away.

Of course, I drove with it on the next hole (just for grins), and the wind got under it and took it about 250 feet, almost into the basket. So I'll probably keep carrying the 150, but I need something heavier, too.

I switch back and forth. I'm usually using either Challengers (pro D for putting, a Cryztal for driving) or S or SS wizards with good firmness and a pencil-eraser like material to them. Both are good for fighting Oklahoma wind, but I like the feel of the Wizard plastic and its slightly lower profile a little better.

Ridge in X Link or Firm

I can do good approaches and drives with it, much like my Ion. A bit less glide and feels a bit grippier.

I gotta say my WizardSSS. It does everything I ask of it from anny putts to straight putts to even shorter drives. Alot of other folks on this forum will agree with me. I still abso-freakin-positively-lutely love my beat to h3!! Pro-Rhyno though.

I made the switch from Aviars to the Soft Banger GT this summer. There's just something so magical about that thumb groove.:thmbup:

I like the pure. grip line for approach shots and zero for putts. they hold a line pretty good and you can put some mustard on them.

Pro Ryhno. Just feels good in my hands and seems to work better than any other putter I've tried so far.

This exactly. Tried the Banger GT which does ok. But I keep one Pro Rhyno 174 and a DX Aviar 175 for anny putts and short range approaches. These two can cover nearly everything 80-100ft in for me. Easy to find cheap dependable plastic.

Last edited: