• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally a shoe that tops the KEEN Marshal/Nasu/Kozo

VIVOBAREFOOT Hybrid

Zero drop- barefoot golf shoe.
Looks like they have a new version now, I can't vouch for it. Can still find the original at various online shops. I still have very little wear on my first pair after a year of abuse. Not cheap but I wouldn't even consider anything else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmvh8av1Q60

Both pair of Merrell's I owned that "claimed" to be waterproof leaked like I jumped in the pond feet first. I won't spend the $$$ on Merrell's again. I have had really good luck with the Hi-Tech brand. I always find them on sale dirt cheap, they last, and are actually waterproof.

Same for me.

Everyone is different and will wear out shoes in different fashions, I still stand by my original post that these Merrell Capra Sport are the tits for disc golf. I have been in retail sales dealing with clothes and shoes for over a decade and nothing has impressed me as much as this shoe.

What model is that? You are cleverly covering it up in the photos....

889. I have the brown version. They have been great for over a year, though I am just a weekender so others would probably put more wear on them than me. First time having a shoe with a Vibram sole and they hold up much better than a normal NB one. Whatever shoe I buy next will have a Vibram sole for sure.

I use the Merrell Moabs and they're amazing. Im a big dude and put a lot of use on them and still haven't had a pair fall apart

I wish I could find a pair of New Balances that don't get destroyed playing disc golf. NB is all I wear, with the exception of my DG shoes. I have a pair of Vasque that I have been wearing for the past couple of months and they are holding up amazingly well. I would think that anything without a toe cap that fully wraps around would be sketchy...

I use the Merrell Moabs and they're amazing. Im a big dude and put a lot of use on them and still haven't had a pair fall apart

I have to second the Merrell Moabs. I have the Moab GoreTex and have been using them for disc golf only since i got them in Jan 2014 and they are still 100% water proof and are in great condition. Soles still have plenty of meat left on them for at least another season or two (if not more).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B0VFT8...lid=1NZ237WFP4TV8&coliid=I3IPU21FE3R9YR&psc=1

Your experience in retail maybe valid, but your new to Merrells, which are cheaply made garbage thats falls apart quicker than the 6 dollar plastic sport shoes at Walmart.
Glad they found a sucker to poney up 160 dollars for thier 10 dollar shoes.

I play bare footed sometimes! Sometimes I wear Teva sandals and other times I wear my wing tips (lunch break). I don't think shoes make the player. I think small under aged and under payed children do.

Your experience in retail maybe valid, but your new to Merrells, which are cheaply made garbage thats falls apart quicker than the 6 dollar plastic sport shoes at Walmart.

I dunno dude. I put my last pair of moabs thru the wringer for 2 solid years before they needed to be replaced. My keens were always <1 season before they bit the dust. I'm on my second pair of moabs because the first held up so well.

:hfive::hfive:

VIVOBAREFOOT Hybrid

Zero drop- barefoot golf shoe.
Looks like they have a new version now, I can't vouch for it. Can still find the original at various online shops. I still have very little wear on my first pair after a year of abuse. Not cheap but I wouldn't even consider anything else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmvh8av1Q60

What's that like, playing in minimalist shoes like that? I've wanted to give it a shot for a long time, but they're all too pricey for me to justify the experiment that may not work out.

What's that like, playing in minimalist shoes like that? I've wanted to give it a shot for a long time, but they're all too pricey for me to justify the experiment that may not work out.

I use a SOLE footbed. It removes some of the barefoot feel but leaves me with the zero drop. The main advantage with Vivo's for me was the wide toe box. Allows my forefoot to naturally spread out and function in a normal capacity. That and the zero drop have eliminated any ankle twisting I was getting on a regular basis. You are correct on the price though, it is a lot to justify for an experiment. From the website- " Your foot has all the technology you need. Our shoes let your feet do their thing." I couldn't agree more.

I've owned keens, merrells, tevas, hi-tec, Columbia, north face, and saloman.

Didn't matter the brand, the shoes that lasted the longest all had one-piece soft rubber sole, meaning the sole was all one piece from toe to heal and had soft rubber. (which pretty much eliminates all keens, because their rubber is very hard)

So that's what I look for and I found that some merrells do not have solid one-piece soles (even when branded vibram, if I remember correctly).

Lately I've had luck with Teva Kimatahs and Teva Gannetts. They boast the "Spider365 rubber outsole" which is extremely comparable to anything Vibram makes. Actually, the tread pattern is better than moabs and the rubber is nice and soft.

First off, we have been selling Merrell for 10 years, keen for the last 5 or so, I have plenty of experience with a lot of shoes/brands. I wore Moabs for years and still think it's an excellent shoe for disc golf! It sounds like you had a bad experience with a pair, how long did they last before falling apart? Did you take them back to the retailer you bought them from or contact Merrell about it? If so, what was the outcome?

Last edited:
Ok.. this thread for DE-railed time and time again..

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS... Merrell Capra *

-other experiences with this show specifially... they look amazing, curious on discussion regarding this shoe only. Sizing... etc.
Normally I buy 13w with merrell.. I have not found that size listed. Last shoe purchase I made was Keen Marshalls in size 14 and they were amazing, tons of toe room which I need but almost too loose around the ankle. I have no problems wearing a thin sock if need be when purchasing a smaller size rather then continues re tightening from a larger bulkier shoe. I have used Merrell Moabs, which I agree they did the job well, but I tore the toe immediately from light toe drag and not until 1-2 years of use did the bottom sole start to fall apart and degrade to nothing.. With that being said I am ready to try out Merrell again!

-or just buy another pair of Marshalls ;)

ive had capras for about 5 months. shoes are really great, and getting more abuse lately due to weather(really sloppy wet and/or snow and the like) water proofing has shown no signs of leaks even w/ water half way up the sides. i have really bad toe drag on the ball of my off foot, and these were built extra thick in that spot. usually see the linging of the shoe, or even my sock by now. they are showing a bit more wear on the sole of my plant foot, but concrete pads will do that. the sizing seems right on for me, but i could see them being thin for u wide footed people. extra cost, yup. extra grip, got it. fit like a glove, yes siree. best kicks ive hadin awhile.

thats what I am talking about. Much appreciated!
With previous shoes it seems I get worried about sizing and will size up.. then have to constantly tighten the laces or rig them in a manor where they keep my ankle tight... but loose around the toes. I think I will just impulse purchase a size 13 and give them a try. Thanks alot.

merrrlls are nice and the only KEEN shoe i have used was some urban bike shoe.]

now it is all vibram fivefingers (even in the winter) or some other minimalist shoe.

i just ordered some Merrell Capra Sports in black and grey from fleabay. It was only $110 and free shipping compared to $130-140 on other sites. I've seen some decent reviews on them for DG, what do you guys think?

I think I have finally found the answer to the question, "what is the ultimate shoe for disc golf". For the last couple years I have worn KEEN's and had good experiences with them, but they all broke down quick and all 6 of the Marshalls ended up with cracked soles in 2-6 months. I now have 12+ rounds in the Merrell Capra Sport Gore-Tex and it's by far the best shoe I've worn for disc golf. Not cheap at $160 retail, but well worth the money. Anyone else tried these before?

Great to hear somone loves these shoes. I just picked them up to replace my 2 year old Moabs (which by the way are still waterproof). I loved the look of these as they are much sportier looking than my Moabs. Really looking forward to getting these out on the course.

Also, great idea posting a picture of the tread patter. If anyone else is interested in a closer look these, check out this vid.

https://youtu.be/XhmIbORJqrU