• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

Valkyrie Kid Approaching 1500 Courses Played

This probably deserves its own thread, but I don't really know where to post it.

Just checked out a couple of The Valkyrie Kid's reviews, and it looks like he is about 50-51 courses away from having played 1500 courses (and considering the layouts he may have played that aren't listed on this website, maybe 1500 courses have already been played :clap:). Just really wanted to give a shout out to this individual. The longevity and sheer endurance of traveling to play 1500 different disc golf courses is something that amazes me!

Which brings me to one question, Valkyrie Kid, if you read this message, do you have any particular goal on how many courses you are wanting to play? 2500? 5000? 10,000? 1,000,000,000 (kidding)? Or do you just let it let it happen 'organically' and go from there? I would imagine a little bit of planning is involved, but I haven't eclipsed the 100 mark so I wouldn't know :|.

Just thought it would be nice to hear from a DGCR legend and get a little update on how things have been going! Stay safe and wishing you the best from one StL guy to another! :hfive:

Was fortunate enough to play several rounds with TVK when he visited The Mitten. He's as friendly and unassuming a person as I've ever met. Just a fun guy to play a round with.

My impression was that he goes wherever his heart and wife tell him to (but not necessarily in that order), and hits every course he can along the way. He really is a course bagging machine.

In search of gold

As other have said in various ways, I'm not stressing it, but I would like to reach gold status. I've got plenty of reviews (64) and more than 96 percent helpful (270-10). The issue is that most of my reviews are of courses with low traffic and few reviews. Nineteen of my reviews are for courses with 5 or fewer reviews and another 17 have 6-10. Only two of my reviews have as many as 10 votes. I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?

As other have said in various ways, I'm not stressing it, but I would like to reach gold status. I've got plenty of reviews (64) and more than 96 percent helpful (270-10). The issue is that most of my reviews are of courses with low traffic and few reviews. Nineteen of my reviews are for courses with 5 or fewer reviews and another 17 have 6-10. Only two of my reviews have as many as 10 votes. I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?

There's a name for that, and it's called:
Mndiscg Syndrome.

Dude spent years writing quality reviews for dozens of out of the way courses that don't generate a bunch of thumbs, just because they're not the most popular courses.

Yeoman's work!

*boycotting hi-five smilies to help stop the spread*

Last edited:

I'm averaging 8.1 votes, but if you exclude a few common types I'm probably in your neighborhood. I've picked up a ton of votes on reviews of: top 10 courses, new courses where I was either the first reviewer or at least the first TR, and truly terrible courses. I'm probably averaging 15 votes each for these types of reviews.

As a low level gold reviewer, I'm probably a good comparison. Unfortunately, just like fantasy football, it's not as much what you are doing as what you are working with. If you aren't reviewing high profile courses, you won't get the thumbs regardless of the quality of your reviews.

i think over 4 per review is pretty decent. i'm averaging 5.7 but i have 34 (out of 271) reviews with double digit thumbs up. of course, those are mostly destination courses or really popular local courses.

the occasional trip to a destination spot pays dividends. obviously you go for the golf but the votes are a nice bonus. Colorado, Rollin Ridge, Flip, Idlewild, etc. have scored me lots of votes.

i think TX reviews tend to get fairly few votes. seems like NC reviews get lots. where do y'all think review readers are the most generous?

I would generally recommend not reviewing middle of nowhere elementary and middle schools like I tend to do a lot. However, one of these got me like 8 thumbs up this past summer or the one before. Probably more than I got for Wildcat Bluff, Iowa's top course, so who the hell knows lol.

I'm averaging 4.375 votes per review. Is that really low?
No, that's actually pretty good. I was averaging around a 2 when i was at your review count.

where do y'all think review readers are the most generous?
everywhere, when the reviewed course is overseas.

I wonder if there's going to be a review uptick over the next two months. I think Cerealman is sitting on a backlog of 30 reviews. I personally have a backlog of 10 as I managed a final road trip before all this mess. I Hit a dgcr 4.0 course in south Atlanta. Threw with Thrembo in Port Charlotte, and played 4 courses on the way back Huntsville that will average a 0.75 rating score when I find time to write them.

Cheers.

I echo what some others have shared. Which courses you review is probably the biggest determinant of thumbs. I've reviewed a decent number of little 9-holes with just a handful of reviews, but they usually don't get many votes. The other thing is that a certain volume of reviews is necessary even for the most famous reviewers to get gold. Do a search through trusted reviewers and you'll find some with WAY fewer reviews than you that are gold, and maybe some with more that aren't. There's some randomness involved, and I do agree that the Texas and Oklahoma areas are not particularly rewarding as far as thumbs.

Sometimes I've been particularly surprised by number of thumbs. In the end, there's a decent amount of luck involved. Just put your best into the reviews and it pays off in the end.

I wonder if there's going to be a review uptick over the next two months. I think Cerealman is sitting on a backlog of 30 reviews.

This is true. I have a number of reviews that I want/need to write, but finding time with one-and-a-half-year-old twin girls is challenging. However, I'm currently working from home as of Monday, so maybe there will be a bit of time to squeeze in more reviews. :)

I've played several courses recently with ZERO reviews, so they will take priority.

I've been blessed to have a healthy average of 6.27 votes per review. Especially now that I take the time to provide more details, unlike the first couple dozen reviews I wrote back in the day, haha.

I echo what some others have shared. Which courses you review is probably the biggest determinant of thumbs. I've reviewed a decent number of little 9-holes with just a handful of reviews, but they usually don't get many votes. The other thing is that a certain volume of reviews is necessary even for the most famous reviewers to get gold. Do a search through trusted reviewers and you'll find some with WAY fewer reviews than you that are gold, and maybe some with more that aren't. There's some randomness involved, and I do agree that the Texas and Oklahoma areas are not particularly rewarding as far as thumbs.

Sometimes I've been particularly surprised by number of thumbs. In the end, there's a decent amount of luck involved. Just put your best into the reviews and it pays off in the end.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The gold would just be a side benefit for me. I am too cheap to pay for Premium, so I try very hard to contribute to this awesome site by doing things such as reviewing under-reviewed courses and updating course conditions.

And on the Texas/Oklahoma front, I also have quite a few reviews in Mississippi (I have family there), which probably gets even fewer thumbs than Texas/Oklahoma.

So this piqued my curiosity and I'm bored for obvious reasons, so here's my stats:

103 Reviews, 760 upvotes, 51 downvotes, 7.874 votes/review, 7.379 upvotes/review.

Number of Upvotes - How many Reviews with that many upvotes
2 - 4
3 - 6
4 - 10
5 - 20
6 - 10
7 - 13
8 - 9
9 - 9
10 - 6
11 - 6
13 - 3
14 - 2
15 - 1
18 - 1
20 - 1
21 - 1
23 - 1

Maybe Steve can do something with that info.

Feel free to go upvote my reviews just to throw off my data!

I have more reviews with 5 upvotes than all my 10+ reviews combined. There's obviously more total votes in the 10+ category, and that's where you get some uniques.

I have more reviews with 5 upvotes than all my 10+ reviews combined. There's obviously more total votes in the 10+ category, and that's where you get some uniques.

That's also a sign they same handful of people are voting for your reviews no matter what. It takes a review of a big name course to get other people to notice and vote.

Latest posts