• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

Alright, so I stumbled across this in the "Up and Coming Good Reviewers" thread in a list of people who'd been shouted out in the first 11 or 12 pages:

-----------

Dave242 - 276 - 1905 thumbs (needs 1648 thumbs to go straight to diamond)

-----------

Is there a magical number up there that pushes you straight to diamond? I assume it isn't actually 3,553 as that math would suggest, maybe 3,500 or 3,550?

It's always 1000 with the unique votes requirement. This particular case falls under the following part of the formula though:

"In addition to the above requirements, your unhelpful vote count must be less than 45% of your total helpful vote count to qualify as a trusted reviewer."

So doing the math with the numbers at that time, Dave would need that amount of votes to get to 45%. Normally the percentage part isn't really an issue for people on diamond track.

Alright, so I stumbled across this in the "Up and Coming Good Reviewers" thread in a list of people who'd been shouted out in the first 11 or 12 pages:

-----------

Dave242 - 276 - 1905 thumbs (needs 1648 thumbs to go straight to diamond)

-----------

Is there a magical number up there that pushes you straight to diamond? I assume it isn't actually 3,553 as that math would suggest, maybe 3,500 or 3,550?

Dave is from the golden age when we were throwing around negative votes consequences be ****ed. We were living for today, never thinking a day would come and our votes would be seen publicly. That, and a lot of the perpetual negative voters 'left' the site. If Dave was turning out the same reviews today, he'd still get his fair share of negative votes, but he'd be in the 80 - 90% positive vote range.

It's always 1000 with the unique votes requirement. This particular case falls under the following part of the formula though:

"In addition to the above requirements, your unhelpful vote count must be less than 45% of your total helpful vote count to qualify as a trusted reviewer."

So doing the math with the numbers at that time, Dave would need that amount of votes to get to 45%. Normally the percentage part isn't really an issue for people on diamond track.

Oh wow. I hadn't looked up his thumb ratio :thmbdown:

Dave is from the golden age when we were throwing around negative votes consequences be ****ed. We were living for today, never thinking a day would come and our votes would be seen publicly. That, and a lot of the perpetual negative voters 'left' the site. If Dave was turning out the same reviews today, he'd still get his fair share of negative votes, but he'd be in the 80 - 90% positive vote range.

Yup. I haven't had a downvote since 2019.

We all chickened out (or manned up?) and stopped giving negative votes once they were made public. I also like to think I no longer get angry/upset when someone writes a review/gives a rating I disagree with.

or choose to not vote at all. I read one this morning that wasn't particularly helpful, but didn't merit a down vote either.

Maybe I take the concept of "helpful" too literally...I read some where I think "That's interesting, but not particularly helpful."

I've haven't been downvoted much, but I think it's funny that 4 out of 5 of my downvotes for reviews written since 2020 are from one person. Half of mine are also from the few reviews I did in 2010-2011, and were pretty earned on my part.

Dave changed his review style up at some point to include more than just his rating rubric. Those initial reviews included zero information about the course he was reviewing. If he was still churning out his "reviews" in the original style, I'm sure they'd get more down votes than up.

Don't get me wrong, I though he brought an interesting perspective, but it mostly came through in forum posts and not in reviews.

We all chickened out (or manned up?) and stopped giving negative votes once they were made public. I also like to think I no longer get angry/upset when someone writes a review/gives a rating I disagree with.

I actually like reading the differing views. Sometimes I read something about a course I've played that I did not see the first time.

I'll still downvote the reviews with no substance that target courses though.

I'll still downvote the reviews with no substance that target courses though.

I read a bunch of short ones recently where I was left asking "Yeah, but what is the course like TO PLAY???"

Descriptions of tees, baskets, signs, garbage cans and bathrooms all have their place, but when the majority of the review is about stuff that's listed in course descriptions I want to tear the little remaining hair I have out of my head...

I read a bunch of short ones recently where I was left asking "Yeah, but what is the course like TO PLAY???"

Descriptions of tees, baskets, signs, garbage cans and bathrooms all have their place, but when the majority of the review is about stuff that's listed in course descriptions I want to tear the little remaining hair I have out of my head...

"Play"?

Oh, wait, this isn't publicparkbathroomandgarbagecanreview.com? :\

Shucks. :D

I don't usually like to blow my own horn, but... I just got my 1500th upvote! Thanks to everyone who has voted on my reviews and hopefully I have helped other DGers as I continue my quest to conquer Florida and beyond!