• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Round of 2014

I took advantage of a day off work and drove up to PA to play a round at Whispering Falls. The weather was pretty awesome, it was around 30 degrees with no wind and the sun was halfway shining.

Awesome! Are you still in Thailand? If so, there are what... 5 time zones ahead of you? So unless someone in the Pacific played at midnight, you could have had the first round of disc golf in the world this year. :clap:

I was a little late, getting on the course at 12:40 EST. I still might have been the first round played in the USA this year.

yep, we're gmt+7 however someone in australia or nz may have played a round ahead of us, they have us beat by at least 3 hours. someone from japan could have played as well, but it is much cooler there now.

My first round in 2014 was pretty sweet. Six under, no bogies. Two 2-putts. This is at my fav local course, Farmington Park. Great weather: 51, kinda cloudy. A bit soggy on the course. There was standing water in a few spots but I never landed in any of it. Made a few outstanding shots and nothing really stoopid. That's a win in my book.

Then I stopped by a neighborhood pitch and putt on the way home for a quick 18 and shot four down. That's a stroke or so under my average, so that's OK. Took a bogey this time (my only 2-putt).

I think I've found my mantra for 2014: Play comfortable. Avoid the big mistake.
This comes from a ball golfing book by Raymond Floyd. I was keeping this in mind today and I'm finding that this is really solid golfing advice.

hmm... i think i'll go edit my sig

Met a new guy on the course today, just his 3rd time playing. He asked for tips on his bag, so I took a look at what he had. His wife got him 7 discs for Christmas, she found them at goodwill for $1 apiece. They included an 11x teebird, an 11x firebird, an 11x eagle, and a circle stamp shark. I told him what a sweet find that was and how much they were worth, and he gave two of them to me and said thanks for playing with him and giving him a few tips. I didn't play well, but awesome day!

Awesome! Are you still in Thailand? If so, there are what... 5 time zones ahead of you? So unless someone in the Pacific played at midnight, you could have had the first round of disc golf in the world this year. :clap:

I was a little late, getting on the course at 12:40 EST. I still might have been the first round played in the USA this year.

Wait a minute. Isn't the first time zone in Greenwich? I could be totally wrong, but this got me thinking.

we're gmt+7 here, so my son and i were playing a glow round at midnight/jan 1 while those on the u.s. east coast were just sitting down to lunch.

I wasn't able to get out to the local course until about 4 pm central time. :wall: I wanted to take more of an advantage of the 64 degree day we had in Texas. This was the first round I played with my new set of discs that I got for Christmas other than the practice field throws. The MVD of the day was most definitely my KC-Pro Roc! :thmbup: Absolutely fell in love with the Roc Today.. :D

I went today at 1 on my home course. It was about 35 degrees with a slight wind. We played doubles on our winter course, due to Christmas lights being up at the park, they take out 5 baskets. I got an ace on a 150-160 ft. tunnel shot hole. It was my first ace in 2½ years. The bad thing is since I hadn't played in 2 months I didn't put my dollar in the ace pool (didn't think I'd even get close to a basket). Oh well who needs an extra 100+ just after the holidays having 3 kids.

I got a chance to play a new local course today with a colleague. The temp was about 42 degrees, which isn't bad. However, the wind was a constant 20-24 mph. I'm glad I had my Trident.

Just bumping the thread as I like the stories.

Plus, maybe I'd get out again tonight for some more glow golf if it wasn't supposed to reach single digits.

I haven't gotten to play yet this year and last year I played January 1st...

I don't really even have the motivation to play in the cold yet.

I forgot to post. Hit Harry Meyers at 7am New Year's Day. At warm 33 degrees. Shot 13 over. Really bad since I have been avg about 57-58. 2nd round shed the coat and gloves and hit the target 57. Great way to start the year!

Darren

Played my first round of 2014 at the annual Headache Bowl, January 1st, at Woodland Park in Collinsville, IL (just outside STL). I was the first to tee off on my card on Hole 10. I was watching the TD prepare to blow the horn at the pavilion, so I was ready to go. About 5 seconds after the horn, I release my drive and, you guessed it, ACE! It wasn't technically my first throw of the year, but DAMN does it make for a good ACE story! I think that one might top my previous favorite ACE story...stacking my disc on top of another ACE at an Ice Bowl for Back-to-Back ACES!

Played my first round of the year on the second. Shot pretty good and also hit my 3rd ace on the 17th hole. Was cool cuz it was getting dark so u could barely see the flight.

Got out for my first round today. I could have played last week but wanted to get first round of the year on my home course. Conditions were miserable (rained the whole round), so I didn't shoot great, but it was good to be out. Maybe I'll get out tomorrow as well - it's gonna be cold here in NC (25 degrees as a high).

The pictures of people playing in the snow are pretty but am glad I don't have to deal with that. DGing in shorts in January is cool :thmbup:

a little late to the thread but whatever.

My disc golf anniversary is New Years day (1-1-2005 was my first round of disc golf ever) so I have to play a round every new years. It helps that I have a girlfriend that likes disc golf. This year we were in Charlotte for the Avett Bro's. show. My buddy Gabe lives a few blocks down the road from Renaissance and my hotel was on that side of town as well so that was where we played.

Standard round at Renny. It ate my lunch as it always does. I have never shot par on Renny Gold and New Years day was no different, a +6, 76. The best part of the day was my first birdie of 2014 was on hole number 14:thmbup: