• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First timer..

JSL5000

Hi guys -- I've been reading these forums and taking a look at some of the unbelievable dyes you guys are creating and it really inspired me to give it a try. What a great hobby to pursue, alongside an even better hobby. :)

I spent a good couple hours shopping for supplies and finally put my first disc to dye! (and another and another..) All in all, I was pretty happy with the results, but I realized pretty early that patience is key, and I'm not always the most patient person.. I probably should have started over on a couple, but you live, you learn. :cool:

Bottom left is a FLX Buzzz with the Batman dye. I didn't get it as clean as I'd like and it's a little off center, but still happy with it overall. I still might remove the rest of the Discraft stamp, can't decide.

Bottom right is a Star Valk. This was the first disc I dyed. Wanted to start with something simple. I was a bit worried about the dark blue disc, but the scarlet dye took to it well and produced a nice dark purple. It was pretty clean for my first dye. I might jazz it up a bit..

The top left is my putter, a white Wizard. I was hesitant to try and dye it, since I've heard how hard it is to dye cheap plastic, but I figured that Rit stuff would have to hold eventually.. The green turned grey and the black turned dark grey, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Only problem is I realized after I made it that 1-up isn't such a great term in golf, as it is in Mario Bros. :) I'm anxious to try this with a white Star disc.

Top middle is my 11x Champ Teebird. I bought it from some kid for 5 bucks a couple months ago and it's been one of my favorite discs since. I always loved the bright green. I put the black outline of the 4-leaf clover on first, then the coloring inside. Then I put on the black rim later. Now I will really cry if I lose it. :D

Back right is a tie-dye Wildcat that I found. I put the Minnesota Twins logo on it. First I made it all red, then I put on another sheet of contact paper and cut out the "T" and dipped it in black. Happy with the result, but I had a boo-boo in the "C" oh well. I would probably go with a slightly smaller version next time.

I definitely realized I need to slow it down and once you dip, there's no going back. I think I might be hooked! :eek:

By the way, thanks for all the great advice and discussion!

Attachments

• firstdyes.jpg
    firstdyes.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Thanks. I'm hoping once the "newness" factor wears off, I will have the patience to spend a lot of time on a single dye. When you guys do something more complex, do you trace the design onto the contact paper and cut directly on the disc? I ran in to trouble when I tried to do lettering.

I am not a big hockey fan, but I do cheer for the Wild to do well. Their logo is pretty nice too...

Thanks. I'm hoping once the "newness" factor wears off, I will have the patience to spend a lot of time on a single dye. When you guys do something more complex, do you trace the design onto the contact paper and cut directly on the disc? I ran in to trouble when I tried to do lettering.

I am not a big hockey fan, but I do cheer for the Wild to do well. Their logo is pretty nice too...

I always cut the first off the disc. If I need to re mask for some reason I'll cut on the disc.
Lettering IS the hardest tihing to cut.

Latest posts