• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flat Tops

I3ooI3oo

Birdie Member
What do you do to prevent the air bubbles when dying flat or concaved disc? I have had issues getting a bubble because the disc edges are higher than the center of the disc.

An air bubble is a sure way of messing up a good design.

What do you do to prevent the air bubbles when dying flat or concaved disc? I have had issues getting a bubble because the disc edges are higher than the center of the disc.

An air bubble is a sure way of messing up a good design.

I've used pastry stones to press a disc into dye and to keep the disc from floating the rim above the dye. Put the pastry stones in the disc when it's lying upside down in the dye. Another trick is to support the edges of the disc with a bowl, put the dye in a bowl and pour hot water into the disc to help set the dye.
Obviously, all these approaches have their limitations and will not work all the time for all patterns.

Are you talking about the air bubbles created after applying the vinyl to the disc?
I would think you could actually puncture a hole to squeez that air out, that apply a patch to it afterward. I don't see any problems as long as the patch is stuck well in place

No I am referring to a disc that is the opposite of a domy disc. A disc where the center of the disc is depressed instead of being domy. So when you set it in the dye the center of the disc catches a air bubble. like when you take a glass upside down and submerge it but less extreme.

How about you put the disc right side up on the counted and put dye in it. Then when the dye is set, dip it to get the outer part

Put the disk in the dye at and angle one side at a time. This will keep air pockets from forming.

Put the disk in the dye at and angle one side at a time. This will keep air pockets from forming.
That would work if I was masking the edges but on this one I am not.

I guess I will deal with this one... An figure it out before I do another Flattop disc.

If there are real bad air bubble I will cut the vinyl right on top of the air bubble then remask where I cut.

When I dip a flat disc I will pick it up and redip about 10 times. It seems to put a pretty good "layer" of dye on the plastic. This will prevent air bubbles from forming.

Or... you can pour boiling water in the disc and wait until it cools. It gives the disc a little more dome.

This is all I got. I'm pretty anal and just watch my disc the whole time it's dyeing.

Last edited:
OR... (now that I fully understand the problem, I think) you could completely submerge the disc, leaving the dome side up so the dye touches every part you want. If you do this make sure you don't have it on the stove as it'll burn the disc. you'd also have to cover the bottom / every single part of the disc you don't want dyed (which could be a royal pain in the ass!)

you need to make handles on the underside with either scrap tape or vinyl- then as stated before, set in at an angle, one side at a time. Then immediately life it out and redo it. bubbles don't form as much if the disc is already wet.

Latest posts