• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floaters?

What discs float form innova and discraft?

and are they any good?

Why cant they make a Teebird that floats?

From Innova I use the Dragon, but it only weighs 150g. The other from Innova that I can think of right off hand is the Hydra. It is a little bulky for me. But for long distance over water, I prefer the Quest AT's Odyssey line. The Odyssey Power Driver for overstable and Odyssey Ultra Long Range Driver for understable can come in the 175 range. These actually really fly a long way anyway.

I'll have to check out Quest then. The Dragon is OK. It is light. It goes pretty far for me and is pretty controllable unless the wind really kicks up. It plays pretty neutral for me. It certainly won't replace my Valkyrie, Wraith, Sidewinder or JLS. OK, it's not a great disc... but it does float.

And the Hydra... For me it plays way too overstable for a short range disc. It loves taking headers straight into the ground/water for me. So in the right situation, a big anhyzer release and left turning end, it can work.

I got mine as a set on ebay. It was pretty cheap for the two of them. And I think that the Hydra only comes in 175g while the Dragon, as mentioned before, is 150g only.

thanks blang, its seems universally accepted, more or less, that the hydra is the best floating midrange. im not too fussed about driver, i will stick with innova. 150 dragon, not too sure that would actually be useful.

I jsut wish they would make a floating teebird. Surely they can inject the same plastic for a dragon/hydra into the teebird mould.

thanks blang, its seems universally accepted, more or less, that the hydra is the best floating midrange. im not too fussed about driver, i will stick with innova. 150 dragon, not too sure that would actually be useful.

I jsut wish they would make a floating teebird. Surely they can inject the same plastic for a dragon/hydra into the teebird mould.

I'm sure they could but that would be bad for business. To Innova, lost discs means increased sales revenue.

I believe all the DGA "steady ed" line float. They are mostly putters but IMHO they are very straight with lots of glide and useful for approaches (especially controlled anny). These are soft, rubbery discs. If nothing else, they are fun to throw in the pool.

I believe Quest has about 5 or 6 that float. As for the dragon, I saw a 154 the other day which I thought was weird since I thought they only made 150's as well. Maybe it was mislabeled. I wish it were at least 165 cause all the dragon does for me is flip over which makes it useless over water.

Yea, I have found the dragon to be too light to do much good with. It always seems that its windy when I actually need to throw a floating disc ... and try throwing a 150 dragon into a headwind ... As for the hydra, I've never liked it much. To tell you the truth, I still havent found a floating disc I really like.

I believe all the DGA "steady ed" line float. They are mostly putters but IMHO they are very straight with lots of glide and useful for approaches (especially controlled anny). These are soft, rubbery discs. If nothing else, they are fun to throw in the pool.

Yep...they all float...know for a fact. And they float in the air a good long way as well. My friend and I played our home course last weekend with blowfly only.<short tees>. He ended up shooting 6 under, I shot 5 under. We both birdied 3 300' holes.

I wish it were at least 165 cause all the dragon does for me is flip over which makes it useless over water.

Yea, I have found the dragon to be too light to do much good with. It always seems that its windy when I actually need to throw a floating disc

This can be somewhat fixed with technique. I think the idea is to throw with a lot of spin but not as much speed. I know a guy who threw a dragon over the lake at Winthrop (500+ft). Also, I made an ace this past weekend with a 148 leopard that I had found the day before by throwing it very smoothly and relatively straight. So don't write a disc off just because if you huck it, it turns over.

Yep...they all float...know for a fact. And they float in the air a good long way as well. My friend and I played our home course last weekend with blowfly only.<short tees>. He ended up shooting 6 under, I shot 5 under. We both birdied 3 300' holes.

Awesome. I keep a blunt gumbputt in my bag. It's always fun to bring it out on downhill holes and glide it 300' to the pin. It just makes people angry :D

This can be somewhat fixed with technique. I think the idea is to throw with a lot of spin but not as much speed. I know a guy who threw a dragon over the lake at Winthrop (500+ft). Also, I made an ace this past weekend with a 148 leopard that I had found the day before by throwing it very smoothly and relatively straight. So don't write a disc off just because if you huck it, it turns over.

I do throw the dragon with less speed, but I personally havent been impressed with the disc. My buddy has one and he loves it. I used to (and still do periodically) throw light discs (my first disc was a 150 leopard) but I have to say, I prefer a disc with a little more heft to it.

On this subject of floating discs ... does Discraft have any floating discs? and has anyone used the 150 Pig from Innova? (that is their newest floating disc)

I also would avoid evaluating a disc based on one throw. The reason you don't see many advanced players throwing Dragons and Archangels is because those are two of the least predictable discs ever released. It's impossible to score consistantly when you don't have predictable discs.

I also would avoid evaluating a disc based on one throw. The reason you don't see many advanced players throwing Dragons and Archangels is because those are two of the least predictable discs ever released. It's impossible to score consistantly when you don't have predictable discs.

I second that. I would love to see that guy throw 500 feet with a dragon.

I also would avoid evaluating a disc based on one throw.

Agreed. And to be honest I don't throw anything under 169 that often. I am much more consistent with heavier discs (it allows for a little more technique error I think). I don't ever throw "floating" discs across water. I think the best shot you could make is the disc you trust the most and if you really really don't want to lose that disc (first of all, that's kinda sad its just plastic and you could take it out of the bag and put it in a safe) then don't play the hole or play reaallly safe around if possible.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me when I hear people say "this disc won't work." I also dislike when people say "that's too much disc for my arm" or something like that. Just because you can't throw a disc 450' straight as an arrow doesn't mean that it doesn't have a purpose and can be used.

It's funny that the 148 leopard I tried to give away on the first tee to a friend of mine who throws light leopards but she said she had plenty and that I should keep it. I hit the ace during that round and now it's not in the bag. The only throw that disc has seen during one of my rounds. :rolleyes:

sorry for the thread drift... back to floating discs!

has anyone used the 150 Pig from Innova? (that is their newest floating disc)

This sounds like a cool disc. Anybody know if it is still an overstable pig at this weight? Is it still pro plastic?

Agreed. And to be honest I don't throw anything under 169 that often. I am much more consistent with heavier discs (it allows for a little more technique error I think). I don't ever throw "floating" discs across water. I think the best shot you could make is the disc you trust the most and if you really really don't want to lose that disc (first of all, that's kinda sad its just plastic and you could take it out of the bag and put it in a safe) then don't play the hole or play reaallly safe around if possible.
I agree with all of that. I'll just point out that the fact that the Dragon only comes in light weights isn't why I recommend against it. I don't think it's a predictable mold.

I guess it just doesn't make sense to me when I hear people say "this disc won't work." I also dislike when people say "that's too much disc for my arm" or something like that. Just because you can't throw a disc 450' straight as an arrow doesn't mean that it doesn't have a purpose and can be used.
Perhaps, but more often than not it does mean that there's another disc that will perorm better. Most pepole using really fast discs for overstable discs would probably see more control out of slower, overstable discs with minimal distance loss. They'd also be more predictable in the wind.