• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Floaty touch upshots

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Guys,

I putt with Daggers and have resigned to bagging multiple putter molds to cover throwing. Looking for good options for a floaty, touch upshot slot for pinched anny upshots in the woods.

Not a fan of driving the Dagger, but in theory a lightweight one that was absolutely thrashed would probably fly like a lid and cover this slot nicely. Eventually my thrower daggers could hit this point but I'm not going to count on it.

On one hand, I've been thinking about bagging a floaty, understable mold to pair with whatever S/OS driving putter I choose - think an aviar driver + aviar PnA, or a lucid/fluid judge + a beat up prime judge. This method may give the advantage of more consistent feel. I would add a zone as well.

On the other hand, I have been considering just going with an archetypical floaty upshot disc like a lid or a nova, and pairing it with an unrelated S/OS driving putter, i.e. a pair that does not feel or throw similarly. Think of bagging like, a polecat + envy + zone, or a spin + shield + zone. The advantage here is that I could just choose the best options out of the box and not pay attention to same manufacturer or similar rim feel. The other side of the coin is that I might not develop the same consistency as the guys throwing/putting a bunch of wizards.

Thoughts? :hfive:

I ended up going with your second option. I normally prefer to use a Harp FH for upshots, but if I'm forced to throw a floaty BH upshot instead, it's usually with a Sonic. I'd rather not smash them into trees (the new ones still have that problem with cracking on the thumbtrack), so I bag a Lucid Deputy for short turnovers/annys.

The APX is good for that. Some people don't care for the feel in the hand of them, but they can hold an anny line and they have a lot of glide for a putter.

Polecat
Proxy
Zone

I can do with just Polecat/Zone, but the Proxy comes in handy for driving sometimes over the Polecat.

Zephyr. Not only is it the floatiest anhyzer putter you can get, it's hilarious to see the looks you get when you pull out a 16" pizza to throw.

Realistically, a slow floaty disc is a fantastic tool to keep in the bag. I love the Dart. A bit faster than I'd like for the touchy floaty shots (it actually feels/flies more like a understable mid) The Gateway Magic does this shot very well. It doesn't come out of the hand as fast as a Dart, has a very neutral flight, and has good glide. The Nova is a stellar disc, but it's so deep it wasn't comfortable. Sonics are very good, too, but again, they feel weird in my hand. Same with Bangers. Looking for that slow floaty disc is a challenge for me because most of the ones that fit the slow/glide feels weird to me and most that feel good are too fast/aren't floaty.

For me, the Nova does it best, but for feel and performance, I stick with a Dart or a Magic. If you can get used to a Zephyr, it really is the original Nova, as well. I actually have a 165g Star Zephyr that seems to have a parachute. I love trick shots with that thing.

Approach

I prefer the Sinus for a stable approach disc, but keep a Magic putter for floating/anhyzer approach shots.

I just want to add the Discraft Putt'r to the conversation. To me it is the most comfortable of the lid type discs. Unfortunately they have not run a premium version for some time but if you find a domey X soft they are still nice.

Zephyr. Not only is it the floatiest anhyzer putter you can get, it's hilarious to see the looks you get when you pull out a 16" pizza to throw.

The looks are a big part of the reason that I carry one a Zephyr! That and floaty straight shots. I can't say as I've needed a floaty anhyzer disc, but I'm sure it could do it!

I bag a lid for this, usually a Polecat but sometimes a Lightning Upshot, which is a little more US. The Upshot feels a bit deeper to me, so you might prefer it if you like Daggers.

If you want to try different versions of the same mold, the Pure might work. I have a Megasoft Pure that's considerably more US than my Hard, Medium, and Soft Pures.

<snip>

On one hand, I've been thinking about bagging a floaty, understable mold to pair with whatever S/OS driving putter I choose - think an aviar driver + aviar PnA, or a lucid/fluid judge + a beat up prime judge. This method may give the advantage of more consistent feel. I would add a zone as well.

Thoughts? :hfive:

This is precisely my strategy: Fuzion Warden for straight with a (beat) Prime Warden for understable and floaty. And add in some Suspects (Fuzion and Prime) for more stable duties, both FH and BH.

I prefer the consistent feel of using the same molds in different plastics to achieve the desired flights. YMMV...

...Think of bagging like, a polecat + envy + zone...

This is close to what I bag for throwing and approach putters. Instead of a Polecat though, I beat in a base plastic Envy for the flippy slot. I've got a Titanium Zone for OS, and a Neutron Envy that sits between those two discs. I'm happy enough with these discs as throwers that I'm actually trying to putt with Electron Envies too, although it's quite uncomfortable thus far...I much prefer beaded putting putters. Trying to give it a go though for some extra mold consistency.

By the way, Electron Envies beat in super quick. No patience required.

idk i use an ion and i cover all my putter needs and mid needs too

someone on here used to throw a 130g lightening upshot and its that floaty approach that a gentle flick of the wrist can provide 200ft and in

or you know you could flick something too instead of an anny

idk i use an ion and i cover all my putter needs and mid needs too

someone on here used to throw a 130g lightening upshot and its that floaty approach that a gentle flick of the wrist can provide 200ft and in

or you know you could flick something too instead of an anny

I would choose to flick a Zone when I have the space/lie. Sometimes though I need a patent pending with little power available, or some kind of weird tunnel backhand with 0 fade. But yeah.

I don't love the idea of bagging like, a very narrowly applicable disc like a lightweight lid or what have you, partly I think because if I'm pulling it out it means that I've ended up in a sticky situation.

Building my bag is all about this difficult balance between packing a bloated swiss army knife with a million doodads for every possible edge-of-the-bell-curve situation, or packing a single hunting knife that I get really familiar with for the middle of the bell curve typical types of shots, that might leave me in the lurch for weird one-off types of shots. :doh:

Latest posts