• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

The older metal flake teebirds(I believe 2015 and before) are much more stable than normal stock run champion teebirds. It's basically a teebird flight with the ability to handle headwinds like a firebird. They are absolute money. They take FOREVER to beat in and then stay in the sweet spot for a really long time. Needless to say, that's the only teebirds I throw.

From what I've heard, the newer metal flakes are straighter than normal stock runs, but I have no personal experience with the newer ones.

I cannot speak for the color glows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got really interested in finding the differences between Metal Flake Teebird's a few months ago since I was looking to find a replacement for a 170g I had been throwing heavily for a few years and is now a dead straight flyer. From what I can tell there are 3 different types of MF Teebirds...

1 - Slightly gummy ones with tiny flakes, the two I have like this are from 2012 which I believe are first runs since MF started to appear in late 2011. I don't know if all of them from that time are gummy, just the two I have are. I started throwing one of them recently and it its got some nice glide to it with a good finish.

2 - Stiffer run with a ton of tiny flakes. The one's I have found are stamped from 2014 so I consider them second runs. Out of the 5 I have, 3 are board flat, and 2 have a mild dome to them. I have yet to throw the ones with dome's but the board flat ones are extremely beefy, as much as the Brinster's if not more.

3 - Stiff with less flakes of a larger size. They're more recent and the type of flakes you will see in any of the newer MF runs out there and I just group them together as 3rd runs. They just seem to fly like a standard Teebird to me.

So I got really interested in finding the differences between Metal Flake Teebird's a few months ago since I was looking to find a replacement for a 170g I had been throwing heavily for a few years and is now a dead straight flyer. From what I can tell there are 3 different types of MF Teebirds...

1 - Slightly gummy ones with tiny flakes, the two I have like this are from 2012 which I believe are first runs since MF started to appear in late 2011. I don't know if all of them from that time are gummy, just the two I have are. I started throwing one of them recently and it its got some nice glide to it with a good finish.

2 - Stiffer run with a ton of tiny flakes. The one's I have found are stamped from 2014 so I consider them second runs. Out of the 5 I have, 3 are board flat, and 2 have a mild dome to them. I have yet to throw the ones with dome's but the board flat ones are extremely beefy, as much as the Brinster's if not more.

3 - Stiff with less flakes of a larger size. They're more recent and the type of flakes you will see in any of the newer MF runs out there and I just group them together as 3rd runs. They just seem to fly like a standard Teebird to me.

Ya, I've never thrown the older gummy ones, just the "2nd Run" super stiff ones. They are so good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 are the Teebirds I am talking about.

I just picked up my first Teeb tonight! I'm super excited to test this disc out in the slot of my lost explorer. And honestly I'm hoping it's makes me fall in love because having a disc that is both super dope, and plentiful is a good idea, right? IDK any comparison from anyone of Teeb and Explorer would be cool.

I just picked up my first Teeb tonight! I'm super excited to test this disc out in the slot of my lost explorer. And honestly I'm hoping it's makes me fall in love because having a disc that is both super dope, and plentiful is a good idea, right? IDK any comparison from anyone of Teeb and Explorer would be cool.

You just said that you we're picky about a mold that just released finding weight/color ext.? Good luck falling down that rabbit hole man.

You just said that you we're picky about a mold that just released finding weight/color ext.? Good luck falling down that rabbit hole man.

Really just finding the same weight and color (I like pink, white and blue discs in my renag 174-176g.) And it seems I've had no trouble accidentally running across the Teeb in the "right" color and weight, more so than I intentionally can find the explorer, and it seems that rivals are out there, just not a lot so going Teeb seems right. Speed seven, easily replaceable in any color, weight. Maybe I'm wrong but I gotta try.

Just got my first teebird yesterday! G Star Teebird 163 and it flies great and far! Nice upgrade over my star leo! Looking forward to learning this disc in and out.

hoping it's makes me fall in love

I've noticed you seem to make up your mind and "fall in love" with a disc before actually throwing it. Explorers and teebirds are essentially the same for the most part. Teebirds are best when they're broken in a bit. So give yourself more than a week to figure the disc out.

I've noticed you seem to make up your mind and "fall in love" with a disc before actually throwing it. Explorers and teebirds are essentially the same for the most part. Teebirds are best when they're broken in a bit. So give yourself more than a week to figure the disc out.

Don't fault the guy for loving to be in love. Some retailers are probably loving him.

Well I said I hope it makes me fall in love not that I was in love with it, and I was dead right about the prophecy, plus I've got the cash to burn int trying what I can during my experimentation finding my molds phase. So I don't make my mind up before I do anything. I've only checked the teebird a few times and so far your right it's pretty much like the explorer, more HSS IMO but that could just be the two discs I had and nothing more, so again hopefully the teebird makes me live it mainly for the fact that's it's more plentiful that the teebird clones (or would seem that way to me)

I've noticed you seem to make up your mind and "fall in love" with a disc before actually throwing it.

Sounds a lot like online dating!:D

Yeah, you have to stick with some of these molds beyond the honeymoon stage before you can really give them the "I'm in love" talk.

Sometimes, it's the discs that you didn't initially fall in love with that become your most cherished. :thmbup:

Premium plastic Teebirds are power hungry, if you don't throw 300+ft, they don't fly well and just dump. But DX and G* birds rock!

The Explorer I saw flew more like an Eagle-L than a Teebird. Not that that's a bad thing. Then again, sample of one.

Yeah, you have to stick with some of these molds beyond the honeymoon stage before you can really give them the "I'm in love" talk.

Sometimes, it's the discs that you didn't initially fall in love with that become your most cherished. :thmbup:

Premium plastic Teebirds are power hungry, if you don't throw 300+ft, they don't fly well and just dump. But DX and G* birds rock!

The Explorer I saw flew more like an Eagle-L than a Teebird. Not that that's a bad thing. Then again, sample of one.

I agree. Champion Teebirds need some pretty legit arm speed to flex out and glide at all. If you don't get them up to speed they will stall out in a hurry. I love that though. I can hammer away on a champ Teebird and not worry about it flipping. Very reliable fairway driver.

A TL, or Eagle L may be the way I go in the long run but I've got the time and money to search, maybe the explorer again maybe it'll be the rival idk yet. Thanks for that comparison though may have to look for an X out eagle L next

A TL, or Eagle L may be the way I go in the long run but I've got the time and money to search, maybe the explorer again maybe it'll be the rival idk yet. Thanks for that comparison though may have to look for an X out eagle L next

FD is also a really good more neutral complement to the Teebird. Same plastics, similar speed and range, and more in the -1/1 range so you can shape turnovers/annies a bit easier and throw them on tunnels that shouldn't end very left whereas the Teebird is for tunnels that shouldn't drift right.

FD is also a really good more neutral complement to the Teebird. Same plastics, similar speed and range, and more in the -1/1 range so you can shape turnovers/annies a bit easier and throw them on tunnels that shouldn't end very left whereas the Teebird is for tunnels that shouldn't drift right.

Thanks for the savvy.

^^^^
Agreed!
For a noodle arm, a Champion Teebird is a better Banshee!

Whoa whoa whoa. As someone who currently dropped Banshees (have almost a decade of experience with them) and is only carrying Teebirds...there's no such thing as a better Banshee. One of the most underrated molds ever.

Stupid Brinsters and Champ glows being so overstable:wall:

Right, and they should.

I didn't mean to dog on you. I'm guilty of it too. I love trying new discs.
I agree that the teebird is more of a true 0 HSS compared to the explorer. I think champ TLs can be pretty stable as well, but lack that true 0 HSS, so a beat teebird usually worked better for me. If you stick with a teebird long enough to get it straight, it's hard to replace.

Latest posts