• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check?

you dont ever really get turned away into a full reachback.

Footwork and body are not in sync. Try pulling through a little lower. Dont reachback early and drag the dics through but leverage the disc with power from the ground up. Need to have athletic posture and no flat feet. Keep on working at it from a standstill or single step throw and move back into the x step. Will be easier to feel the brace of staying a little more closed and be able to pull through lower without messing with footwork at the same time.

you dont ever really get turned away into a full reachback.

Footwork and body are not in sync. Try pulling through a little lower. Dont reachback early and drag the dics through but leverage the disc with power from the ground up. Need to have athletic posture and no flat feet. Keep on working at it from a standstill or single step throw and move back into the x step. Will be easier to feel the brace of staying a little more closed and be able to pull through lower without messing with footwork at the same time.

Thanks. I have been playing for 2 years but have hit a platoo. I would like to start from scratch and rebuild my technique, because I think I have taught myself wrongly.

I went out and practiced for 2 hours stand still, this is what I have, what do you think?

From side

From behind

Your setup stance is too wide, you take your front way knee back, but your front heel doesn't go/move with it, so your weight is not moving/shifting together. Your knee is just moving back and forth with nothing behind it, see Reciprocating Dingle Arm. Your rear foot is also spinning out instead of everting/moving forward.

I watched through all the videos and I think these will help me alot.
One thing that was completely new to me was that I should be inverting my left foot (rhbh) counterclockwise. I always tried to spin in clockwise.

I will get out again tonight and try to put everything into practice.

This is quite difficult. I went out and practiced another 2 hours.
When I am pulling the hand forward and my hips are turning right and right foot is turning right, it is quite difficult to turn my left foot counterclockwise. But I really tried to stop both my feet and turn them left.

This is what I got now, I am not sure if it went better, but this is what I am here for, I will not give up, until I get this.

Changes I tried to do:

1) Narrower stance
2) Trying to turn my left foot counterclockwise
3) Trying to brace into my right foot instep ( turn it also counterclockwise)

What do you think?

Still too wide stance. You aren't shifting your weight properly back, and your weight is stuck on the back foot during the swing. Your front heel spins toward the target in the start of your backswing, if your heel comes off the ground in the backswing it should go away from the target first, and then lead toward the target to start the forward swing.

Thanks for the comments, I will look these through today and get out the new videos asap.

Your front heel spins toward the target in the start of your backswing, if your heel comes off the ground in the backswing it should go away from the target first, and then lead toward the target to start the forward swing.

Must the heel come off the ground during the backswing or it can stay on the ground the whole time?

Too wide in your setup stance, before you do anything. Much easier to shift weight in balance with feet together like a pitcher starts, if you pick up one foot when feet together you are already 100% weight back if you make any forward stride.

During the throw your stance/knees are ducked out vs the pros who are squeezing between the knees. Their forward motion from x-step puts them into more dynamic angulation and only appear wider, but there is a major difference between your knees and the pros knees. The pros are internally rotated into their hips.

Ok, I tried to do the can crush and also not so wide stance.

I tried different things also. I think I saw from Dan Beto video that kipping the back leg up also helps to brace. This was the last thing I did before coming back home, but it added like extra 50 ft to flight.

How does it look? It still seems that something is off, but can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:
In your can crush attempts, you aren't using your weight(falling) to crush the can, you are trying to push your heel into the ground, your weight is still stuck spinning out on your rear foot and coming around instead of behind your front foot. Rear heel needs to move up/forward while front heel comes/falls down. Did you actually do the drill and crush any cans?

You are also swinging over the top and there's too much lag in your arm from your shoulder. Don't take the disc above your shoulder. Throw/swing something heavy around like a sledgehammer, you will not overswing it. Toss it using your whole body effortless with the arm, feel the weight of it pulling your arm wider from your shoulder socket.

In your Beto leg kick, you are going way over the top and jamming up your front hip/leg, instead of clearing it back out of the way and staying in a balanced athletic position. You are getting more of your weight off the rear foot this way, but going to hurt yourself by jamming up, and not be able to throw effective(nose down) on hyzer. You need to stay balanced between your feet and angulate dynamically like a skier.

Watch how I setup with a narrow stance(about shoulder width), but stride forward into a slightly wider stance. Also watch how the front knee moves and the height of my head during the swing vs yours, mine lowers into the stride and stays at same height, your head rises as soon as your heel plants, so you are standing up out of athletic posture/ forward compression between shoulders and knees(tilted spiral #2).

Did you actually do the drill and crush any cans?
Yep I did, it seemed simple when I just did the drill. When I go to the field, its much different, so many things going on.

You are also swinging over the top and there's too much lag in your arm from your shoulder. Don't take the disc above your shoulder. Throw/swing something heavy around like a sledgehammer, you will not overswing it. Toss it using your whole body effortless with the arm, feel the weight of it pulling your arm wider from your shoulder socket.

I tried with hammer, and I can feel the weight pulling, but with disc, I do not get this feeling. I only get it a little when my arm is extended and disc is far from me. It could also be related that I think I have tendency to pull the disc foward, but rather I should be thinking of moving/hitting with elbow instead. What muscles should I use to pull the disc forward, or what should I be thinking?
When I look pros videos I see that they are pulling it much lower, but when I try it, the disc flies very low and hits ground soon. Honestly I think why I am pulling it high, is 2 years of learning the bad habits.

In your Beto leg kick, you are going way over the top and jamming up your front hip/leg, instead of clearing it back out of the way and staying in a balanced athletic position. You are getting more of your weight off the rear foot this way, but going to hurt yourself by jamming up, and not be able to throw effective(nose down) on hyzer. You need to stay balanced between your feet and angulate dynamically like a skier.

I think why I am jamming up my front leg because I am trying to brace my weight against my front leg. I could spin it out of the way, but then I feel like I am losing all the momentum.

This is me trying to stay on level during the hole throw. From previous videos I had problems moving the weight on the front leg and spinning on back leg. Here I think I am overcompensating the weight transfer, and by trying to move weight to front leg, I move my body over my front leg. How should I initiate the weight transfer, which muscles should I be thinking about?

Here I am trying to stay on level with my head and also bring in the little step further that you mentioned. I am trying to brace to my front leg, as in the golf videos, so that my body would rotate around that invisible axis. This does kind of happen, but then I get stuck. I can feel it in my hip. Body tries to rotate, but my instep is stopping it, continous tries brings light discomfort or pain.

This is the best footage I got today I think. No distance though, similar to others.

All in all, disc does feel light in my hand. Today I tried to keep my front leg bent, not straighten it(to keep myself level). Also tried to incorporate the 1-step drive.

Lots of questions and issues going on because you are not balanced moving on to your front leg. Your head/upper spine is moving way forward and turning over the top the lower spine and past your front ankle. The tilt of you head and spine during your plant is balanced on your rear leg \ instead of / to the front leg. Need to lead shift with the lower spine forward first(see episode #335 vid above).

Trying to lead with hip..

I am trying to lead with my hip, to initiate the movement with lower spine, but I end up going over again with upper spine also like yesterday.

For ending I tried to do couple of with full and I am pleasently surprised, because I think it came out pretty good. Here I tried to do something similar sevan1 showed displayed in the youtube video, that you pull forward, but try to move both feet left to counter the spin

When looking at your video, you maintain your head perfectly between should and legs, looks so effortless. Also I see that your front leg does not turn toward the target before your disc leaves the hand, leave the screen. For me, as soon as I release, it starts to spin.

The last video with the X-step looked good, with a more natural timing. Honestly I would keep working with the X-step and then if you need to go back to standstill you'll hopefully re-incorporate that timing in the weight shift.

Usually peoples' weight shift is messed up which is why I like to suggest standstill, but yours is flowing. Plus with the X-step if you drift forwards past the plant you really know it.

Yeah in the standstills you are just spinning your feet out and not shifting your weight into and off the rear foot/instep(get your heel up/don't push from heel, or in the extreme keep rear heel off the ground). Your rear heel should be airborne before your front heel lands. You should be striding your front foot forward about 6" or so as your hips are moving so far forward. Or you can try taking a stride backward with the rear foot about 6" in the backswing loading to the rear foot/leg from a shoulder width starting stance. Everything should be mirrored in the backswing and forward swing(Double can crush/Bottles and Cans).

The x-step your balance is a little better and get more off your rear leg but still dragging weight and turning your body too quick/there should be more resistance to turning on the front side(move part 2)- so your balance shifts forward, and your body and arm move more together. There's also too much lag between your shoulder and elbow/hugging yourself. Keep your elbow/upper arm wide/forward.

Do Moser's hop and try to maintain your balance:

Yeah in the standstills you are just spinning your feet out and not shifting your weight into and off the rear foot/instep(get your heel up/don't push from heel, or in the extreme keep rear heel off the ground). Your rear heel should be airborne before your front heel lands.

Maybe I am not shifting my weight properly, because I am trying to do the counterclockwise turn, that those golf videos are showing?

What do you feel in your rear leg when shifting weight, is it just pushing forward from toe, or you trying to resist something? I know it is hard to put it in words, but what should I be thinking with my rear leg? Maybe this could help me.

Latest posts