• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check?

Do I understand correctly, that I must keep my disc hand loose, just making sure my 90degree corners dont collapse, and actually start pulling at "hit zone"?
My grip tension is firm/taut/controlled, so as the speed picks up the grip tension picks up to maintain tautness/control.

It's hard to explain what happens at the hit as perceptions come into play and we are talking about something that happens in a few milliseconds. I tend to think of it more as pushing or snapping a backhanded jab punch with the arm, but the hand is pulling the edge of the disc forward.

This is my recent form, I have been reading HeavyDisc form crash course and trying to break things up. http://www.heavydisc.com/p/the-form-crash-course.html

Things I am trying to do different:

1. Wide rail reachback
  2. Head not looking backwards but trying to keep it straight or peeking at target
  3. Keeping hand lower in reachback

Sorry for uncut videos.

From side

From behind

How does it look like?

Your feet are moving around you instead of striding/gliding you forward balanced and stacked. Turn your head away from the target with your body and get your rear arm into your body!

Thanks you for your response.

Your feet are moving around you instead of striding/gliding you forward balanced and stacked.

How do I fix that? I think it is a issue that is hard to explain/fix by text and I can't get my head around it. What is the key component I should be thinking to fix it?

. Turn your head away from the target with your body.
I was just trying to do the opposite thing, like McBeth does, that I do not turn head away, but try to keep it straight or peek at target.

gmY7xRk.png

Get your rear arm into your body!

Will fix that in next video, I know this has been my issue for a long time.

How do I fix that? I think it is a issue that is hard to explain/fix by text and I can't get my head around it. What is the key component I should be thinking to fix it?

From video I understand that I should be trying to shift into front leg and not going around the front leg, but rather behind the front leg? So far I have been trying to start the throw from ground up, that I start spinning rear leg, hips and shoulders. But should the motion be more like pushing straight forward towards front, not spinning with rear foot at all? Or it should actually be spinning, but spinning more into front leg and going behind, not as I do, that I spin around front leg?

From video I understand that I should be trying to shift into front leg and not going around the front leg, but rather behind the front leg? So far I have been trying to start the throw from ground up, that I start spinning rear leg, hips and shoulders. But should the motion be more like pushing straight forward towards front, not spinning with rear foot at all? Or it should actually be spinning, but spinning more into front leg and going behind, not as I do, that I spin around front leg?

I looked through both videos again now, and saw you mentioning Hogan Power Drill there. Is this related to spinning out?? I hope it is, because the way these videos explained it, it finally clicked.

When you take your x-step behind with the left foot you push yourself to the right tee side with the right foot instead of pushing/moving straight down the tee pad. So your left foot is planting to far to the right behind your right foot, you basically just want to glide straight forward to your target line with your body moving straight, not stepping around the line and moving your body left/right of the line.

I was just trying to do the opposite thing, like McBeth does, that I do not turn head away, but try to keep it straight or peek at target.
Keep in mind, just because one video shows something or person does something, doesn't mean you should, look at what most the other pros do especially those that are built more like you and pay attention to what line they are throwing in videos. McBeth seems to be very flexible and already has distance to spare and has tightened up his form in recent years for accuracy. The EO2013 quad video is a short downhill hole, so none of those guys are actually throwing very far. You must loosen up for distance, then you can tighten things up for accuracy. This is McBeth loosened up for distance, his head probably goes close to 45 degrees past perpendicular to the target:

There should be no spinning, only leverage forward.

I looked through both videos again now, and saw you mentioning Hogan Power Drill there. Is this related to spinning out?? I hope it is, because the way these videos explained it, it finally clicked.
Yes, those are related to the Butt Wipe.

There should be no spinning, only leverage forward.

This is a little hard for me to understand, not being a native speaker. If I am not thinking of spinning my left foot nor hips, how do I leverage myself forward? I understand or am aware of 2 ways, spinning body from ground up and pushing body towards target. :)

When you take your x-step behind with the left foot you push yourself to the right tee side with the right foot instead of pushing/moving straight down the tee pad. So your left foot is planting to far to the right behind your right foot, you basically just want to glide straight forward to your target line with your body moving straight, not stepping around the line and moving your body left/right of the line.

so shorter x step?

This is a little hard for me to understand, not being a native speaker. If I am not thinking of spinning my left foot nor hips, how do I leverage myself forward? I understand or am aware of 2 ways, spinning body from ground up and pushing body towards target. :)
Your hips rotate when you walk forward. Do you try to spin them to walk or is that just something that happens in order to move forward?

Do this lateral ladder drill, but crossover the opposite way like a normal x-step.

so shorter x step?
That wouldn't be a bad idea.

oooh, I think I misunderstood you completely, I thought when you were talking about spinning you were talking about everything that happens after this position :

gmY7xRk.png

but after everything you were talking about my x step, now it makes complete sense :doh:

when you read my text about spinning and moving forwards, I am thinking everything that happens after the position in image. this what I have had problem with, whether I spin my left leg hips and shoulders or I push forward etc. wow haha

Yeah I was mostly talking about your actual x-step, not throwing stance.

Although you still really don't want to try to spin your hips during the throw. Watch David Wiggins hips(pelvis), his pelvis doesn't really go past perpendicular until well into the followthrough. Your femurs/thigh bones rotate inside the hip joint independent of each other to create torque through the pelvis. If both your femurs are rotating the same direction then there is no torque/leverage from the ground up. The rear femur should be externally rotating into the plant while the front femur internally rotates during the throw to release the arm forward. See how Wiggins uses his front leg to post up on, and the pelvis rotates into the front femur/leg during the throw. He doesn't really open up his front hip, it clears the pelvis out/back.

Your femurs/thigh bones rotate inside the hip joint independent of each other to create torque through the pelvis. If both your femurs are rotating the same direction then there is no torque/leverage from the ground up. The rear femur should be externally rotating into the plant while the front femur internally rotates during the throw to release the arm forward. See how Wiggins uses his front leg to post up on, and the pelvis rotates into the front femur/leg during the throw. He doesn't really open up his front hip, it clears the pelvis out/back.

So you mean something like this? Although here both femurs rotate internally. I know Heavydisc has been talking about this also.

CLG73CS.jpg

Or you mean just a little further into throw, then rear femur turns internally and front turns externally

gyyxfNt.jpg

So you mean something like this? Although here both femurs rotate internally. I know Heavydisc has been talking about this also.

CLG73CS.jpg
Kind of, but they are not both internally rotating in the ^ pic. The rear femur has externally rotated and the front femur is posted so the pelvis rotates internally into it and clears it.

How is my xstep now? Tried to make it better. Any other suggestions.

Things I tried here:

1. Straighter Xstep
  2. Shorter xstep for better weight transfer
  3. Not drag my toes on the ground during follow through (2 pairs of broken shoes already)
  4. Tried to move rear hand closer to body ( work in progress )

Eh, your weight is not shifting forward as your rear foot is still weighted during your swing and rear heel spins out, and you jump off the front leg during the swing because you are not balanced on the front leg - one leg drill.

At what point should my weight be on the front leg? When I am fully reached back and starting to pull forward, should all my weight be already on my front foot? I am trying different things, but the weight shift issue has been with me from the start. I am not sure if I am doing it completely wrong or I am just missing some very crucial detail in my form.

At the moment my weight has fully shifted to front leg during the hit or power pocket.

My left leg is spinning inwards, because I am initializing the throw from hips, so I turn my hips towards target and also leg turns towards target.

Latest posts