• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check?

Maybe I am not shifting my weight properly, because I am trying to do the counterclockwise turn, that those golf videos are showing?
Your feet should be resisting turning/spinning. You feel those torques/pressures attempting to move/spin your feet out from the movement/momentum of your body winding up. You need to maintain that pressure inside all the way up your posture, not tipping you over/out of balance in any direction. You should always be in control of your weight/balance and ready to move it quickly in the direction you intend.

What do you feel in your rear leg when shifting weight, is it just pushing forward from toe, or you trying to resist something? I know it is hard to put it in words, but what should I be thinking with my rear leg? Maybe this could help me.
Plantar flexion/instep leveraging everything forward through ankle, knee and hip.

In an x-step or hop I think of it like catching a wave with the squat then stride and ride. You have to catch the wave/weight first and then ride it. You can't paddle out too far ahead of the wave or wait too long to paddle. Most of your weight is the water and organs inside you(about 80% of your weight), they can move around separate from your skeleton. When you move/accelerate forward, your weight actually lags and loads back against your rear side, your water and organs get squished back like you do accelerating inside a race car. This is why you need to brace or firm up your rear side and move with rhythm, and also on the front side coming through.

The front side brace is almost like breaking/stopping the race car, but instead turning it and speeding up as a re-direction/clearing back to counterweight the throw and allow the momentum to sling through like a catapult or trebuchet. Think Batmobile turning at full speed via grappling hook to light pole, the centrifugal force/acceleration experienced during that turn is massive. The cars chasing fly by and spin out as there is no brace to turn against. The front foot is the grappling hook, and your knee/hip extend behind the grappling hook like the rope to turn/clear the car/body back. If the rope is not taut behind the grapple/ahead of the turn, it will snap, or jerk, or stop instead of turning the vehicle smoothly.

Sidewinder what do you think about this, how important is the front leg and shoulders positioning just after disc is released.

Should I be worried about this, or both versions are fine?

8kJ4AFn.png

I use a longer more linear swing like Wiggins and GG. McBeth and Will use a more rotational swing.

These are hitting ~230 feet. I widened my stance again, since I have quite long feet and I was going over my front foot with body.

Moser jump

Last edited:
These are hitting ~230 feet. I widened my stance again, since I have quite long feet and I was going over my front foot with body.
Long legs has nothing to do with it and you are throwing from a horsestance and swinging down over the top. You have no internal hip rotation/squeeze between the knees. Your body is also turning without your arm back and forth and too way too early both ways. Need to turn into the backswing much much later on the Moser attempt. In the standstills you need to keep turning back further at the plant.

Long legs has nothing to do with it and you are throwing from a horsestance...

By horsestance you mean it is too wide? Yeah possibly, I will try to shorten it again. Just trying out different things, because I am stuck at one point. :/

...and swinging down over the top...

What do you mean swinging down over the top?

Your body is also turning without your arm back and forth and too way too early both ways.

So first part I should do full reachback and not rush it. But the second part, I know I have the issue that I am turning my shoulders and my hand is not in sync or late. I think this is because I have the idea in my mind that I should initialize everything from bottom and go up and then at one point I have spinned my hips and shoulders opened without hand moving enough further.

I roamed around in youtube today and came upon this video. Is this correct?

By horsestance you mean it is too wide? Yeah possibly, I will try to shorten it again. Just trying out different things, because I am stuck at one point. :/
Watch the Power of Posture again, your femurs are not internally rotated into your pelvis.

What do you mean swinging down over the top?
High reachback and leaning over your leg(not balanced) and swinging downward toward the ground.

So first part I should do full reachback and not rush it. But the second part, I know I have the issue that I am turning my shoulders and my hand is not in sync or late. I think this is because I have the idea in my mind that I should initialize everything from bottom and go up and then at one point I have spinned my hips and shoulders opened without hand moving enough further.

I roamed around in youtube today and came upon this video. Is this correct?
Kind of. Your arm is too loose from your body, it needs to be more taut/connected. Swing something heavy around, don't over-swing it.

I tried not to open shoulder and head myself, but let my body rotation do it. Also I tried to not accelerate from full reachback, but try to speed up during hit.

Upper body looks nice, but lower body seems weird.

Much better backswing turn into your rear leg, but your starting stance is just too wide 6" or so, your weight doesn't make it back into the rear leg. You should be planting about where your front is though, so you stride your whole body 6" or so into the plant and shift all your weight/balance together and more pressure into the instep/inside edge of your front foot and clearing your front hip back(Butt wipe drill). Your rear side is spinning around your front side instead of into it. Your rear arm/shoulder needs to come through inside your front foot more into the finish(Inside Swing Drill - keep turning through all the way into the finish so your rear shoulder stays inside the wall).

Should I be really forcefully pushing through my weight forward, or just shifting?

I also really tried the butt wipe drill, but it did not feel something I was not doing. I mean, I felt that I was doing the same thing, that at first front butt was off the wall, then both butts were touching and finally only front butt was touching. Maybe I am missing some crucial point.

Your rear arm/shoulder needs to come through inside your front foot more into the finish(Inside Swing Drill - keep turning through all the way into the finish so your rear shoulder stays inside the wall).

I looked the drill, but I still do not quite understand.

"My rear shoulder, so left shoulder, needs to come through inside my front foot more into the finish. Rear shoulder stays inside the wall."

Do you mean after the through, my rear shoulder should touch the wall?

Last edited:
Trying to get out of bad practices without disc. This time at home. Sorry for background noise.

Socks are not good. You are tipping over your front foot/leg(foot rolls over to outside edge, not staying on inside edge/arch - see understanding weightshift vid), not finishing balanced with the body/head stacked right on top the foot. Your rear shoulder/arm is not getting into your body and is finishing around your front foot, instead of inside it. The part of the drill I told you is not in the video, you have to keep turning into the finish so your left shoulder is closer to target than right shoulder. Your rear shoulder should rotate through where your front shoulder was(tilted spiral). Your rear shoulder is going way around to the left of where your front shoulder came through so your rotational axis is moving around instead of maintaining stability/center/tight axis.

finish_position.gif
Anthony_Kim_at_Finish_2.jpg

Removed the socks. This is me trying to get heel down last, push off toes, plantar flexion. Trying to keep the center on tight axis. Rear foot end on toe.

Your weight is still on the rear foot during your swing.

Doing the one leg drill

This is me trying to pretend my front leg is like a pole vault pole, to stop myself behind it. I got this idea from looking loopghost videos in youtube. Any better?

One-leg drill, you are setup over the top your front leg instead of inside it. You should not be pushing at all from the rear foot - keep toes on ground/heel up/ zero-weight. Just turn/pivot your hips staying inside your front foot. Your rear foot probably needs to move further back and behind you closed more so there's no weight on it and all your weight/balance is on the front leg/inside. Just do this in slow motion.

Second vid is a series of unfortunate events, mainly your rear foot begins spinning out in your backswing, easy to see at 15sec. Your rear arm/shoulder is going out and around a tilted spiral instead of rotating straight through it. Your rear arm/shoulder should be under your chin in the finish, your arm/shoulder is out to the side and over it. It's amazing you can't even stay balanced on your half-go swings, you are still tipping over on those, so your full swing doesn't stand a chance of maintaining balance on the front leg through the finish.

First of all, thank you for all your help sidewinder22. I know that I am kind of slow learner, but bear with me :) Some questions for clarification.

One-leg drill, you are setup over the top your front leg instead of inside it.

Do you mean this, that my bumm is over my front foot? If I go anymore left, I am already tipping my weight to my rear leg. I mean, I am not sure how can I be more "inside" of my front leg, without falling inside :D

Maybe push knee out, but then I feel weight on outside of my foot. When my knee is inside, I feel weight more inside of my foot. When knee is exactly over my foot, then I feel weight centered in the middle of foot :\

GSar0As.png

Second vid is a series of unfortunate events, mainly your rear foot begins spinning out in your backswing, easy to see at 15sec.

What do you mean that my rear foot is spinning out? Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I thought I must use my rear foot as counter balance to not spin around my body. This is something I am trying around 15-16sec

OfqH2mD.png

It's amazing you can't even stay balanced on your half-go swings, you are still tipping over on those, so your full swing doesn't stand a chance of maintaining balance on the front leg through the finish.

How should my leg be positioned? Should I try to create this curve in my leg? I this this is what loopghost mentioned also in his videos, that trying to create the pole vault pole.

earXSS5.png