• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters

Three Putt

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
REVISE YOUR X-MAS LIST!!! New Speed 13 Driver from Innova, the Groove

As a public service, we have complied a greatest hits list of Innova Goove hatred. Please refer to this before starting any more threads about the Innova Groove.

From the discgolfsweden site, which for some reason always breaks news on new discs before any U.S. site...

08-11-20 - Groove is in the air

A new driver from Rancho Cucamonga, California will be airborne soon, the Groove is a speed 13 slightly turning power driver. It is aimed at less powerful throwers as a complement to the Boss with a straighter flight and in lower weight, it goes down to 164 grams in Champion material.

Preliminary figures for the flight rating are; Speed=13, glide=5, HSS=0-2 and LSS=2.

The Boss in Champion plastic is scheduled to be run during December, to be released early in 2009. It will probably appear as a fundraiser in Star plastic first.

I'm assuming where it says "Boss" in the last paragraph is a typo that should say "Groove."

I'm guessing if they can get a Boss-type disc down to 164 g in Champ plastic that they put a Monarch-type wing on it, which may also explain the lame "Groove" name. Anyway, a Boss with Monarch glide might be a huge distance disc for weenie-arms. It might also be a touchy-flippy-inconsistent POS. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Nice,
I had heard they were working on this, I just didn't think it would have happened so quick. Hopefully they will release the Destroyer & XCaliber in Champion Plastic as a factory release & the Boss in Star soon.

I'll have them in stock when they are available.

Jason

Honestly, it sounds too good to be true. Even if it is true, how far should this trend go? Speed 17 drivers that are putter-straight? :rolleyes:

Honestly, it sounds too good to be true. Even if it is true, how far should this trend go? Speed 17 drivers that are putter-straight? :rolleyes:

Yeah, at some point the constraints of physics get in the way. I'll look forward to reviews of the Groove after people start throwing it...

Nice,
I had heard they were working on this, I just didn't think it would have happened so quick. Hopefully they will release the Destroyer & XCaliber in Champion Plastic as a factory release & the Boss in Star soon.

I'll have them in stock when they are available.

Jason

Is the factory release of the Destroyer and Xcaliber in champ planned by Innova?

Here is a quote from Dave D at Innova about the groove:

"The groove in the Groove is similar to the notch in the Monarch. Testing is still going on. The Groove is not like the Monarch. It seems to be just a driver rather than a driver/roller like the Monarch. My big arm testers couldn't roll any farther than they could air, however they could air it quite far. I see it as a complement to a Boss or Destroyer that flies fairly straight when thrown on a slight hyzer. Upwind requires more hyzer. Nose angles are critical to accuracy. This disc won't be available until next year."

From what ive gathered the boss seems to be about as fast is it can be as far as disc standards are concerned. The 2.5 cm rim on the boss is the maximum width for a rim if it is going to be approved by the PDGA. On the other hand there is an aerobie disc (possibly the epic) with an asymmetric and very thick rim that is approved by the PDGA. So it could be a weight ratio dilemma instead of actual rim width.

can anyone clear this up?

understable ish speed 13., that means we can forget all about the destroyer?

I just looked at the PDGA's discussion boards - ask dave D - and there is mention about a controlled process of stabilizing the discs to taste. in champ and star i believe.

http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=862850&page=0&fpart=64&vc=1

anyone know anything about this? the mention of a change to the teebird, both frightens and interests me.

From what ive gathered the boss seems to be about as fast is it can be as far as disc standards are concerned. The 2.5 cm rim on the boss is the maximum width for a rim if it is going to be approved by the PDGA. On the other hand there is an aerobie disc (possibly the epic) with an asymmetric and very thick rim that is approved by the PDGA. So it could be a weight ratio dilemma instead of actual rim width.

can anyone clear this up?

The aerobie epic was grandfathered in under current PDGA disc rim standards ...
see this thread for more info on the epic and PDGA disc standards:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482

Innova "the GROOVE" initial observations

Went out today in the most miserable of any condition I have ever played. Fog, rain, 50 degrees, snow melting creating rivers of ice. Miserable. Then again I was disc golfing. Played with a local Innova dealer who had a test press of the new Innova Groove. Speed rated 13 and supposed to be more stable than a boss.

Initial impressions and observations.

-Feels like a boss in your hand. WIDE rim.
-The under side of a rim has a groove in it. I am assuming this is why they called it such.
-The weight was a 170, but I guess they are trying to get it into the mid/lower 160's.
-I would say watching everyone throw it, and the reseller who has a consistent throw, that it flies almost identical to a Destroyer.
-It held a straight line longer than a beast but still had a hard dive at the end.
-Never once saw it turnover more than flat. It wants to fade like a destroyer.

I was hoping that the Groove would be more stable to understable, but then again this was only a new test pressing of the disc.

Went out today in the most miserable of any condition I have ever played. Fog, rain, 50 degrees, snow melting creating rivers of ice. Miserable. Then again I was disc golfing. Played with a local Innova dealer who had a test press of the new Innova Groove. Speed rated 13 and supposed to be more stable than a boss.

Initial impressions and observations.

-Feels like a boss in your hand. WIDE rim.
-The under side of a rim has a groove in it. I am assuming this is why they called it such.
-The weight was a 170, but I guess they are trying to get it into the mid/lower 160's.
-I would say watching everyone throw it, and the reseller who has a consistent throw, that it flies almost identical to a Destroyer.
-It held a straight line longer than a beast but still had a hard dive at the end.
-Never once saw it turnover more than flat. It wants to fade like a destroyer.

I was hoping that the Groove would be more stable to understable, but then again this was only a new test pressing of the disc.

I thought the Groove was supposed to be an understable Boss similar to a faster Wraith?

I thought the Groove was supposed to be an understable Boss similar to a faster Wraith?

it's def more on the stable side as opposed to the overstable side compared to a Boss. In no way would I say this thing was anywhere near understable, and all I basically drive with is Wraiths.

it's def more on the stable side as opposed to the overstable side compared to a Boss. In no way would I say this thing was anywhere near understable, and all I basically drive with is Wraiths.

disc golf sweden/English/nyheter.aspx Says that Innova calling it "a faster Monarch" so I am a little disappointed with what you have experienced. I Also heard that the Boss was only supposed to be able to be used properly by a small power group yet many say they are not power throwers but have benefited from throwing the Boss. It is too bad that results may even differ between each run of the Boss, Grove or any other Innova disc, As a Wraith thrower that cannot use the Boss for backhand throws, I hope that future runs of the Groove might be less stable.

Press Release from Innova.

Groove is in the air. A new driver from Rancho Cucamonga, California will be airborne soon, the Groove is a speed 13 slightly turning power driver. It is aimed at less powerful throwers as a complement to the Boss with a straighter flight and in lower weight, it goes down to 164 grams in Champion material. Preliminary figures for the flight rating are; Speed=13, glide=5, HSS=0-2 and LSS=2.

so the glide is as fast as the boss with more fade. how is that much different than the xcaliber which doesnt seem to be too widely used.

Ok, I haven't own or tried throwing the Boss yet but do own several Wraiths and Destroyers.

Should I wait out for the Groove to come out or should I go ahead to buy Boss anyway? I like a little bit understable type of discs but not too understable that can be flipped too easy.

I'm on limited budget at the moment....it sucks!

See if I can answer a few more questions from what I experienced.

In no way did this the Groove resemble any flight characteristic of a Monarch(which I use sparingly due to easy roll overs). I never saw the groove go more than perfectly flat and straight through it's flight, than a hard dive to the left (rhbh). Pure Destroyer flight path.

As for getting the Boss. Love that disc for three purposes.

1. Super fast hyzer disc that is really predictable.
2. When there is a strong left to right wind (rhbh) the Boss will hold a line pretty far.
3. You just can't rollover this disc. I have tried but it always will come back.