• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fusion Bag Review or Sorry Gorilla Boy

Would you buy a Fusion bag? Especially if you could not buy GB?

• Yep!

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No!! How. Could. You? I’m triggered!!

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
That is not true. The ridge roller bag has a built in seat and is fantastic. Great build quality and functionality. It also can be bought with a matching pull cart if needed. I have owned the simian and the Ridge and it is a superior bag IMO.

That has 2 advantages to the Simian, and that is you are not limited as much with discs in the main storage and the fact it can be made into a cart. The main limitation seem to me to be the way the storage is set up on the second slot, the opening is limited to a degree.

No I would not agree at all. Sometimes it takes effort to maintain integrity- maybe even a shred of patience. Clearly Bagalane doesn't like to put in effort, but it's kinda sad when others make excuses for their prolific ripoff scum-of-the-earth thievery, especially in such a small sport.

Funny how good you can make a bag when someone else creates a paint-by-numbers and you spend $0 developing any of it. Lol

The knockoff could have used much cheaper materials to make the bag that is fails way too soon. I was afraid that was the case for a long time.

Not the only knock off Disc Golf bag, a USA company Infinite Discs took the Upper Parks small bag, the one that looks like a running hydration pack and added a single bottle holder to the bag to make it better. However Infinite Disc now has discs made by Innova that are nearly the same as old molds that Innova and or Innova side brands used to make so I am confused on whether or not to support the company. Now Infinite Discs has made an improvement to its knock off unlike what Bagalane did was a direct copy of the Simian.

I thought the company stopped making that bag? It was not available for a long period.

Nope, They actually just came out with a V2 of the bag with more colors. Seems like they are doing pretty well although I have no direct info.

That has 2 advantages to the Simian, and that is you are not limited as much with discs in the main storage and the fact it can be made into a cart. The main limitation seem to me to be the way the storage is set up on the second slot, the opening is limited to a degree.

The first one is a huge deal to me. I can fit 15 discs in the main compartment while the Simian only fits 12. The main benefit is the aluminum frame vs the PVC. It is much sturdier and smaller, so it leaves more options when designing. It is what allows for so much space on in the center sections. I will say, the shoulder straps on the Simian are some of the most comfortable on any bag I have tried.

I don't find that a limitation as it is not even offered in the Simian. It can hold 5-7 discs plus the rainfly, or a hoodie, or a bunch of towels. It's a pretty great little pocket IMO.

My question is...why are people up in arms over a GB knockoff?

Fade knocked off the Innova bag.
DD/Lat64/Voodoo/UP/Fossa/Others all knocked off a version of Grip.

Is the concern for knockoffs/ concerns for bags being made overseas/ or concerns that a small company hasn't been able to stay competitive?

If the bag works, the customer is happy, and the business made a profit; isn't that the business' ultimate goal? If the bag works, but customers can't get them, and business is not making a profit; maybe the business needs to be re-examined.

I want to support American jobs and American products, but if they are unable to meet the demands, why would anyone expect customers to wait for the business to get their act together? We are not talking about a limited number of Ferrari's, where the value will go up, we are talking about disc golf bags, where the value will only go down.

Not the only knock off Disc Golf bag, a USA company Infinite Discs took the Upper Parks small bag, the one that looks like a running hydration pack and added a single bottle holder to the bag to make it better. However Infinite Disc now has discs made by Innova that are nearly the same as old molds that Innova and or Innova side brands used to make so I am confused on whether or not to support the company. Now Infinite Discs has made an improvement to its knock off unlike what Bagalane did was a direct copy of the Simian.

Just to clarify- Todd was the creator of the Stealth Bag and he actually didn't know that Upper Park Designs even existed. He worked with the factory to create an ideal bag that he would like to use, focused around the idea of a camel back with disc holders. The Stealth Bag has a lot of things different about it from the UPD bag. It's in no way a rip off, just another version of a slim bag. That's like saying a Ranger Bag is a rip of of a Grip bag because it has two backpack straps and holds discs the same orientation. Can only one slim bag exist and the rest are knockoffs?

As far as the Innova made discs- I don't understand what the issue is there. Discmania, Millennium, and Hyzer Bomb have the same deal we do with Innova. We use Innova's parts to create new discs that aren't on the market. Not sure why you wouldn't support a company putting out new plastic the same as Discmania. It was Innova's idea and offer to make this happen. :)

Anyway, just my take on the subject. Sorry to get long winded. We do thank everyone for the support they've given us!

but if they are unable to meet the demands, why would anyone expect customers to wait for the business to get their act together? .

So much microwave society right here. Not very long ago, waiting for custom items was expected. Now, if amazon prime can't get it to you in 24 hours, the world is ending :doh:

Microwaves

Yeah if you read earlier in the post I was willing to wait but the answer I got was no bag now don’t know when bag will be available with no sense of urgency whatsoever. Not being willing to wait had nothing to do with it. I would have much rather given GB my business. I did say that I needed the bag now not when he could get around to it, but if you are waiting forever....

I get what you are saying and that is why Amazon is so successful. I am old enough to remember ordering stuff and waiting for weeks or months for it and if you can get what you want I think that’s okay if it’s okay with you.

As stated in this case it would have been okay. The GB owner unwittingly drove me away with his IDGAF attitude. That had nothing to to do with impatience expect for impatience for BS for which I do not and will not apologize.

Further, neither should anyone.

The bag is still great and showing zero wear I regret nothing.

Happy discing!!

I have posts in other threads. I have reviews of courses on here since 2012. I just have never been that active on here because some of y'all twist off too easy like now. You sir should get your facts straight before you rant and rave about someone you don't know. Parking lot of life indeed. I bet you stumble through that lot quite a bit. Why so hatefull?? You're triggered aren't you? Sorry I had an opinion different from your own. Like I said maybe you're right Do Work. Maybe you're right. Dang it I said I would ignore haters.

Shills review courses too.

So much microwave society right here. Not very long ago, waiting for custom items was expected. Now, if amazon prime can't get it to you in 24 hours, the world is ending :doh:

You're right that was not long ago, but times change.

Not very long ago we use to plow fields with mules. Now we do it with modernized tractors with GPS systems that allow for less human error and more crop production. Put the mule breeders out of business, but I don't see anyone wanting to go back to the good ol' days there.

If you want something custom, you wait for custom. A GB bag is not custom. It is not created specifically for my wants and needs. If a manufacturer was willing to do this the price would be high, but I would pay and wait bc it's EXACTLY what I want. A simian is bag that many people have that is exactly the same, except for colors. If I don't care about colors, why would I wait and pay more?

Is my dollar not going to help a person, family, or business? Or is it just because they are in another country? I don't know the owner of GB, so why would I care more about him than some other person I have never met? Is it just because he's American? If that's the case, there are lots of American companies I choose not to support for a multitude of reasons. What makes this special?

Is my dollar not going to help a person, family, or business? Or is it just because they are in another country? I don't know the owner of GB, so why would I care more about him than some other person I have never met? Is it just because he's American? If that's the case, there are lots of American companies I choose not to support for a multitude of reasons. What makes this special?

You had a great idea; design something, make prototypes yourself, invest your hard earned money, time, and sweat into building a business. You launch full production and release a quality product that has more demand than you can supply.

I see your product's success, buy one, ship it to another manufacturer, and have them recreate it exactly so I can then sell your product under my label. I profit on the back of your hardwork and initial investment.

I lower my prices to continue to steal your potential customers that want your product but before you can ship it to them. Your profits sink, mine soar. My initial investment is paid off much quicker than yours.

I reinvest my new profits into more ads and product placement. More and more customers see and buy your product from me because my price is lower and I have reviews saying it's the same product at a lower cost.

You aren't making a profit anymore. You close up shop. The people you employed are laid off. Their families and yours has lost an income stream they counted on.

A year goes by, I'm still making profit on your product. With you out of the picture, I have no competition, I raise my prices to be higher than your original price. I cut back on quality at the factory to cut costs even more and maximize my profits.

Why should YOU care? Because you are just like everyone else. Anything that happens to them can happen to you. If you support the exploitation of another human being than your saying it's okay. Will you still think it's okay when it happens to you?

FWIW I just emailed Chris (Gorilla Boy) and he said I could have a Simian in a couple weeks tops. I don't know why he was allegedly rude to you OP but in my email it was just to the point minus the pleasantries...You could have one in less than a month if you wanted.

You had a great idea; design something, make prototypes yourself, invest your hard earned money, time, and sweat into building a business. You launch full production and release a quality product that has more demand than you can supply.

I see your product's success, buy one, ship it to another manufacturer, and have them recreate it exactly so I can then sell your product under my label. I profit on the back of your hardwork and initial investment.

I lower my prices to continue to steal your potential customers that want your product but before you can ship it to them. Your profits sink, mine soar. My initial investment is paid off much quicker than yours.

I reinvest my new profits into more ads and product placement. More and more customers see and buy your product from me because my price is lower and I have reviews saying it's the same product at a lower cost.

You aren't making a profit anymore. You close up shop. The people you employed are laid off. Their families and yours has lost an income stream they counted on.

A year goes by, I'm still making profit on your product. With you out of the picture, I have no competition, I raise my prices to be higher than your original price. I cut back on quality at the factory to cut costs even more and maximize my profits.

Why should YOU care? Because you are just like everyone else. Anything that happens to them can happen to you. If you support the exploitation of another human being than your saying it's okay. Will you still think it's okay when it happens to you?

So I should hurry up and get one of these before quality goes down the drain? :D Solid post B!

^^^This is the type of well-educated conversation we need on these forums!

Thank you. I did not mean my comments as a personal attack and I'm glad you saw that.

I wrote a lengthy additional reply (as I often do) and deleted it because I could rant for a page at least about the economic situation we are confronted with daily.

I think the great thing about these forums is that as disc golfers were apart of a close knit community (if we want to be). We don't have to approach the world on an island and can come here and share our experiences with each other. As a member of the community I think that gives us a responsibility to look out for each other.

I wish the owner of GB had the ability to legally pursue the maker of this knock off. But since that's another issue altogether (and another rant), we just have to make sure that we inform those who will listen of the reasons why they should not buy this bag but support GB instead.

To me, the poll is poorly worded:

"Would you buy a Fusion bag? Especially if you could not buy GB?"

Seems obvious that if I couldn't get a Gorilla Boy I'd have to look at other options.

Shill again? Really?

Was there an objective review of the BagLane Fusion Bag before I posted my review? No.

I know there wasn't because I looked for one prior to purchasing Satan's Awesome Disc Golf Bag.

So I posted one. Some of you get it. Some of you don't. Actually a lot of you don't. And that's okay that's what makes America great.

I'm the mean time I'm enjoying my purchase and the lack of ethics some of you perceive in my purchase is quite comical to me.

The reason I worded the poll the way I did is because of the nature of negative replies to this thread. Everyone so triggered because I exercised freewill and decided not to be bothered with an apathetic retailer. I thought it would go like this because that's what any discussion of this bag had been before that o could see. No one could ever discuss just the bag. Only the so called right or wrong of it. Whatever.

I also said I would ignore haters and I really haven't. It's just been too fun to flame the fire. You guys are so convinced you are all right. Maybe you are. Believe me I feel you I think I'm right too! Maybe I am. Maybe you are.

Further in the spirit of objectivity , while I do think the bag is great., it's not perfect. My one and only complaint is that if it falls over the discs do tend to spill out. The counter to this is that it almost never falls over unless I am really careless and set it down on a hill or something.

Brothers, Sisters, Happy Discing!!!

Thank you. I did not mean my comments as a personal attack and I'm glad you saw that.

I wrote a lengthy additional reply (as I often do) and deleted it because I could rant for a page at least about the economic situation we are confronted with daily.

I think the great thing about these forums is that as disc golfers were apart of a close knit community (if we want to be). We don't have to approach the world on an island and can come here and share our experiences with each other. As a member of the community I think that gives us a responsibility to look out for each other.

I wish the owner of GB had the ability to legally pursue the maker of this knock off. But since that's another issue altogether (and another rant), we just have to make sure that we inform those who will listen of the reasons why they should not buy this bag but support GB instead.

And this would be my hope as well. If we as disc golf community want to be seen as seriously as the golfing community, we need companies to be more...

More focused on protecting their investment. Patenting their products, taking action when need be, and realizing that the disc golf community isn't the small group of folks it was 10 years ago. We need them to develop with the times.

This was discraft's problem not long ago. Not enough innovation to stay current. Not enough presence to keep their brand strong. Not enough quality customer service to continue to sit up on the top with Innova. What do they do? They adapted and changed. Purged old molds, created new ones, hired a new marketing person, and now there is a resurgence.

I would have hoped that GB would have looked to do the same. Build their business into something more. Instead they seem content to stay where they are, take their small piece of the pie, and allow themselves to fall to the wayside. It's sad, because they do put out a quality product, but if they can't keep up with the rest of the disc golf world, they will go out of business.

If we as disc golf community want to be seen as seriously as the golfing community, we need companies to be more...

More focused on protecting their investment. Patenting their products, taking action when need be, and realizing that the disc golf community isn't the small group of folks it was 10 years ago. We need them to develop with the times.

I'm not a lawyer, nor have any experience in patent law, but I don't think you can patent a bag. He might have been able to patent the chair skeleton in the bag but patents only apply to innovation and a bag is a bag is a bag. Purses can't be patented for this reason. GB could trademark his brand and the bag's name but in this instance the name wasn't ripped off just the bag design. I believe this came up in the recent past with being able to patent discs. Not to mention you can't enforce US patent law in China.

I'm the mean time I'm enjoying my purchase and the lack of ethics some of you perceive in my purchase is quite comical to me.

The reason I worded the poll the way I did is because of the nature of negative replies to this thread. Everyone so triggered because I exercised freewill and decided not to be bothered with an apathetic retailer. I thought it would go like this because that's what any discussion of this bag had been before that o could see. No one could ever discuss just the bag. Only the so called right or wrong of it. Whatever.

I also said I would ignore haters and I really haven't. It's just been too fun to flame the fire. You guys are so convinced you are all right. Maybe you are. Believe me I feel you I think I'm right too! Maybe I am. Maybe you are.

You admitted you were being unethical in your first few posts. You knowingly purchased an exact copy of someone else's design because you didn't want to purchase it from them. I'm not finding fault with your reason to not purchase a bag from GB. I don't necessarily agree that it's a valid reason but that's not important because it is your choice and I respect that. I do not respect the decision to buy the stolen bag design from a copycat. Again I will point to your own words that you do not seem to believe it was right either.

You could have decided to buy a bag that met your needs from another company that didn't steal the design. Or if you really believed the GB design was the best possible choice for your needs you could have waited until the company could deliver one to you.

So I did an awful thing and bought the Fusion bag. I know haters will hate. But like I said I needed a bag now not when Gorilla Boy could get around to taking my money.

Now I have never seen a Gorilla Boy bag (and I'm really wondering if anyone else will either)but the Fusion does appear to be identical to what I saw on the GB website.

Too sum up this bag rocks and if GB doesn't get their business together everyone will be saying Gorilla who? Sooner than later.

Since you encouraged discussion of the review and a part of your review was your reasons behind purchasing the bag. I decided to discuss that in more detail once I saw that the conversation went further into the topic beyond my first response.

I don't think it makes you or anyone else a terrible person. I just want everyone to really think about the choice to give money to a copy that is actively stealing from GB.

Yeah if you read earlier in the post I was willing to wait but the answer I got was no bag now don't know when bag will be available with no sense of urgency whatsoever. Not being willing to wait had nothing to do with it. I would have much rather given GB my business. I did say that I needed the bag now not when he could get around to it, but if you are waiting forever....

As stated in this case it would have been okay. The GB owner unwittingly drove me away with his IDGAF attitude. That had nothing to to do with impatience expect for impatience for BS for which I do not and will not apologize.

I for one would like to see the conversation you had with the owner (Chris) over at Gorilla Boy. The fact is, there is a 350+ page gorilla boy thread on here with overwhelming reports of good customer service. There are some complaints of long waits and the website being difficult to navigate, but for every one of them there are 10 that talk about how good the warranty is, how good the construction is, or how good is CS is.

My question is...why are people up in arms over a GB knockoff?

Fade knocked off the Innova bag.
DD/Lat64/Voodoo/UP/Fossa/Others all knocked off a version of Grip.

Is the concern for knockoffs/ concerns for bags being made overseas/ or concerns that a small company hasn't been able to stay competitive?

If the bag works, the customer is happy, and the business made a profit; isn't that the business' ultimate goal? If the bag works, but customers can't get them, and business is not making a profit; maybe the business needs to be re-examined.

I want to support American jobs and American products, but if they are unable to meet the demands, why would anyone expect customers to wait for the business to get their act together? We are not talking about a limited number of Ferrari's, where the value will go up, we are talking about disc golf bags, where the value will only go down.

The problem is that the situation you describe de-incentivizes innovation. Engineering, R&D, and prototyping costs are substantial for an innovative manufacturing company.

Having a very successful product is bittersweet for this type of company. If you sell enough units, it becomes profitable for competitors to manufacture knock-offs of your product; which they can sell at a lower cost because they didn't have the engineering, r&d, and prototyping costs. They didn't absorb the cost of quality issues discovered after the first full production runs. They build their product in the location that minimizes labor, duty/tariff, and logistics costs. As you say, the company producing the knock-off will be more profitable and that is the ultimate goal of business. The company that designed the product will suffer due to the low cost knock-offs. If profitability is the ultimate goal of a business, than why would any business incur all of the extra costs to design and develop a new product when it could just focus on building existing products for cheaper? Without strong protections for IP and patents, being innovative doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Latest posts