• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GameProofer "smart" attachment for your discs

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
edit: found what I was looking for! (thanks to anyone replying as I edit this)

Anyone think this will be useful?

I'm thinking I could attach it to discs as I play my home course, identify my ideal throw for a hole, and then attach it to the disc I use to throw into my nets and try to replicate the toss at home. Potentially giving me the ability to practice my home courses while throwing into my nets.

Last edited:
Pretty cool concept. It'd be cool to see all that flight data.

Pretty cool concept. It'd be cool to see all that flight data.
It appears the guys at OverThrow Disc Golf are starting to use this kind of tech (though I don't think this exact product), and have begun a new series based on working with it. The algo recommended it to me just yesterday....

It appears that they are using a "TechDisc" - TechDisc - Know your throw

Interesting.... The "TechDisc" that they are using is releasing at $300... but is "permanently" attached to the disc.

The GameProofer is going to be barely over half that price, and you can purchase it separate from the disc. I'd prefer that, because it would allow me to get numbers on each of my molds in the open field, and then go back and attach it to any old disc with a similar rim and practice into the nets. If this is the best software by a mile (TechDisc) then it'll be worth it to get a putter variant to practice putting with, because for C1 putting or short C2 putting my disc's flight pattern doesn't matter a ton unless it is absurdly flippy or OS.

I swear at some point I heard of a third company doing this, but I can't remember offhand.

I like it. I love data. I'm definitely going to look into this. I watched the Overthrow video the other day and thought it was great.

Could really help with nose angle issues (imo) and spin rate--particularly on the FH.

discmania US site, $129.99 pre-order (delivery estimated in December)

There are three 'data' discs companies either out already or somewhere in the process.
TOSY - the only PDGA approved discs with sensors. Still not out in production yet.
TechDisc - Not PDGA approved. In production. Being used by OverThrow and some others. A specific disc.
GameProofer - Not PDGA approved. Not in production yet. A device that can be attached to any disc you want.

GameProofer may end up being the best of them as it seems to be the least expensive and you can attach it to your own discs. But I haven't seen how it is attached. How well will it stick? Will it fall off during normal throws, tree hits?

The TOSY ones aren't too expensive, and will come in a few different speeds (3, 7, 10, 12). Cool things is they are PDGA approved and they light up, so they would be fun for night rounds also.

TechDisc has the headstart since it is already in production and people are using it.

TechDisc here. I wanted to jump in and point out that it looks like we're creating different products. TechDisc is a launch monitor that's most effective when used to practice your form in a net. It measures all the angles and forces you put on a disc and simulates the flight so you get instant feedback on your throw.
The others ones appear to be focused more on throwing it on the course and helping you find it or getting you some data from the flight. They may look similar but I think they're intended for different uses. I guess we'll see when they ship.
But hey, soon you will have a few options for your disc golf sensor products. What a time to be alive!

TechDisc here. I wanted to jump in and point out that it looks like we're creating different products. TechDisc is a launch monitor that's most effective when used to practice your form in a net. It measures all the angles and forces you put on a disc and simulates the flight so you get instant feedback on your throw.
The others ones appear to be focused more on throwing it on the course and helping you find it or getting you some data from the flight. They may look similar but I think they're intended for different uses. I guess we'll see when they ship.
But hey, soon you will have a few options for your disc golf sensor products. What a time to be alive!
and TechDisc beat all the competitors into production. So that's a win for your company. Glad to see you on here and commenting on the thread. The people I've seen using the TechDisc have thrown it strictly into a net....now I know why. I was surprised they weren't throwing it in a field to be able to see the actual flight and compare it to the numbers. But as a "simulator" that gives data feedback...I can understand using a net. It's like those ball golf simulators. I really enjoyed Overthrow Disc Golf's video using their TechDisc, even though they focused on speed and spin....they seemed to overlook the nose angle data. And it looks like they are going to be doing a series using the TechDisc and its data. Really cool item for instructors....they can have a student throw the disc repeatedly and give instant feedback on the flight.

There are three 'data' discs companies either out already or somewhere in the process.
TOSY - the only PDGA approved discs with sensors. Still not out in production yet.
TechDisc - Not PDGA approved. In production. Being used by OverThrow and some others. A specific disc.
GameProofer - Not PDGA approved. Not in production yet. A device that can be attached to any disc you want.

GameProofer may end up being the best of them as it seems to be the least expensive and you can attach it to your own discs. But I haven't seen how it is attached. How well will it stick? Will it fall off during normal throws, tree hits?

The TOSY ones aren't too expensive, and will come in a few different speeds (3, 7, 10, 12). Cool things is they are PDGA approved and they light up, so they would be fun for night rounds also.

TechDisc has the headstart since it is already in production and people are using it.
The main difference between your sensor and GameProofer for my purposes is the lack of angle reporting. Otherwise it has what I need.

But yeah throwing into nets is why I would prefer it be removable. I'd love to baseline a disc profile by, for example, throwing my Zone on hole 1 of my home course and getting the readings for my typical perfect tee shot. And then taking it home to attach to a generic midrange to throw into a net to throw that shot.

I could also baseline to particular shot shapes and distances in the field. It improves my ability to work on particular shots at home into the nets. Replicating baseline throws.

I want to work on my straight to fade shots today to 250-350 in 25 ft increments using my nets for the molds I throw. Not for a generic mold.

and TechDisc beat all the competitors into production. So that's a win for your company. Glad to see you on here and commenting on the thread. The people I've seen using the TechDisc have thrown it strictly into a net....now I know why. I was surprised they weren't throwing it in a field to be able to see the actual flight and compare it to the numbers. But as a "simulator" that gives data feedback...I can understand using a net. It's like those ball golf simulators. I really enjoyed Overthrow Disc Golf's video using their TechDisc, even though they focused on speed and spin....they seemed to overlook the nose angle data. And it looks like they are going to be doing a series using the TechDisc and its data. Really cool item for instructors....they can have a student throw the disc repeatedly and give instant feedback on the flight.
Most disc golfers think they want a sensor to measure the actual flight of a disc on the course; I was in this camp for years too. But once people get a chance to use these products I'm not sure that's how it will shake out in practice. The model of the launch monitor in ball golf works well because you can get instant feedback on your swing and a ton of reps. You can improve your form much faster and build that muscle memory that produces the good metrics.

We've also seen that most people focus just on speed and maybe spin to start. This is new territory and most people don't know what to do with the other metrics yet. It will take some time and a lot more Overthrow videos for this type of data to become normal. Mikey's nose angle/launch angle combo was beautiful, so I understand why they didn't focus on that too much.

I'm not usually an early adopter, but I ordered a techdisc this morning after some back and forth with their CEO last night.

Will the app provide insight on what to change or just provide raw data that the user has to interpret?

I'm not usually an early adopter, but I ordered a techdisc this morning after some back and forth with their CEO last night.

Will the app provide insight on what to change or just provide raw data that the user has to interpret?
It's currently just the metrics (speed, spin, wobble/OAT, hyzer angle, nose angle, launch angle). I expect we will have more content available from various coaches on how to improve these metrics over the next few months.

You can also take throw metrics into the simulator and adjust them to see how they affect the disc's flight.

This opens up some great possibilities. The sarcastic data disc.

Are you throwing with your offhand?
Was that putt?
40 mph? Lookout Simon!
You might want to try ball golf.
I didn't know a disc could be thrown that slow.
You missed the practice net from 5'? Seriously? WTF Richard?

:LOL:

I think the best use will be with making adjustments to different parts of your throw and see what changes they make in the data. We can go out in a field and throw a disc over and over making adjustments, but we only see the flight and landing. We can't easily tell WHY something happened. With TechDisc you can immediately see WHAT is changed. Check out OverThrow's YT videos...they have a recent one where they are using the TechDisc. Mikey wants to break 500 and he does several throws into a net with only one change....grip pressure. While they don't mention it (they focus on speed and spin unfortunately), you can see from the data that more grip pressure from the thumb ensured a more nose down flight. Less pressure and the nose angle was inconsistent.

I think that will be the best use of the data....getting immediate feedback for subtle (or not so subtle) adjustments.

If I had access to one and a net, one thing I want to see is what changes with a backhand if you curl your hand during the reachback. Maybe I'll ask OverThrow to test that.

I saw the video and totally agree with you. I've been measuring arm speed with my apple watch, but I'm not even sure how accurate wrist speed is vs disc speed. And results down range don't seem to correspond all that well to the arm speed measurement. There's certainly much more to distance than arm speed.

I can't wait to get one of these and start figuring things out.