• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Ninja

Prediction: If this disc flies like expected, it will be used illegally in PDGA events. It will be easy to remove most of the things that distinguish it as a Ninja, except the rim of course. If somone gets caught using one, which will be rare, they will just say "I did not know it was an illegal disc" and take their warning.

I personally think the only limitations that should be put on disc design should be weight.

If somone gets caught using one, which will be rare, they will just say "I did not know it was an illegal disc" and take their warning.
It's a two stroke penalty, not a warning. I'm pretty sure the TD has the option of DQing you on the spot if he thinks you did it deliberately.

Well its going to change the game just not in pdga sanctioned tourneys as it will not meet the pdga specs as the rim thickness is going to be 2.668 and legal is 2.599
But this thing is still going to be one of those discs that people are still going to want to throw. There are actually quite a few tourneys that arent sanctioned anymore.

Seems completely useless to me then. If I'm gonna use a disc in a rec round, I'd want to be able to use it whenever I'd like without someone saying something about it.

It's a two stroke penalty, not a warning. I'm pretty sure the TD has the option of DQing you on the spot if he thinks you did it deliberately.

Just to back him up:

802.01E said:
E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3).

If its legal I'll check it out. If its not, then I don't even see a point. If it can't be used without giving the thrower a distinct advantage then that is cheating and I'm not a cheater and I don't play with cheaters even in casual. So why even make it if it can't be used for tournament play?

They probably capped the rim width for safety reasons, not to prevent manufacturers from producing discs that perform well. It's funny that the same people that preach "don't throw wide rimmed drivers because they're not consistent or accurate" are the same ones whining about an "advantage" that these discs give.

To be fair, what I think they are doing here is targeting golfers that don't play in events. That would be sanctioned or non sanctioned. Think of it this way. You play disc golf but never intend to play in a league or tournament. You completely buy the "faster is better" hype and ignore all the warnings from people like garublador warning against throwing discs too fast for you. Here comes the Ninja. Innova has already said many times that it is not going to make illegal discs, so now you have the fastest disc around and Innova can't touch it with a 10' pole. You end up making a super-duper fast disc that you of course say is easy for low power players to throw and sell them to those guys. From a business point of view it's an idea with some merit. There are a lot more players like I'm describing than there are players who play in events, so you can't argue that there is no market for it.

The only thing I would have a problem with is anybody blowing smoke up my skirt that this is going to somehow "revolutionize" the sport. I don't see it. Illegal discs have been around for a long time. Guys have been throwing Aerobie rings in rec rounds for years. However, the vast majority of rec players don't use illegal discs. Most people get the basic concept of cheating. Most players will understand that they are using something outside the rules and their resulting scores are fubar. I don't think this will be any different.

I think, and this is just my supposition, and nothing more, that if Innova wanted to make a disc with a 2.8 or whatever length wing, they wouldn't have to worry too much about it being illegal. If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that Dave D. of Innova was one of the main forces behind limiting the length of the wing on discs. I could be and probably am way off base here, but that's what's rattling around in my head about the subject.

Not yet released.
Dave M will tell you "it is like ________(insert popular disc name) but longer, straighter, and easier to throw."
You'll have to wait until they come out to see how they really fly.

"it is like the Polecat but longer, straighter, and easier to throw."

With the rim that wide, I'll never touch it. I'm more than satisfied with my Halos and after throwing a Nuke and Katana, don't see what the hype is about bigger rim discs. Personally, I just find them much harder to throw accurately as you are adjusting your grip, and thus release, for something that feels very foreign in my hand when compared to a Wraith, Destroyer, Force, etc. Course, I could be totally on another planet too...

I think, and this is just my supposition, and nothing more, that if Innova wanted to make a disc with a 2.8 or whatever length wing, they wouldn't have to worry too much about it being illegal. If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that Dave D. of Innova was one of the main forces behind limiting the length of the wing on discs. I could be and probably am way off base here, but that's what's rattling around in my head about the subject.
Dave Dunipace used to talk about a 10% rule that would cap wings at 10% of the diameter or 2.1 cm for a 21ish cm diameter disc. That would make the Max, TeeRex, Destroyer, XCal, Boss, Groove and Katana illegal. At the time of the Tech Standards revision only the first three were in production, but he said he would be in favor of making them illegal after a certain grace period. So no, I don't think Dave D is going to make a 2.8 cm winged disc no matter how well the Ninja sells.

They probably capped the rim width for safety reasons, not to prevent manufacturers from producing discs that perform well. It's funny that the same people that preach "don't throw wide rimmed drivers because they're not consistent or accurate" are the same ones whining about an "advantage" that these discs give.

People preach that the wide rimmed drivers aren't consistent and accurate for those who don't have the armspeed to throw them.

The rim width cap had little to do with safety and had everything to do with the effect of wide rimmed drivers on the game. It gives those who throw really hard (with or without skill) a bigger distance advantage than they already have. It makes the sport less accessible to the average person. Its like if they made a 30lb bat in baseball that the strongest guys could blast the ball with, but the rest of players could barely hold, let alone swing. It would be a different sport (and steroids would still be legal).

They wanted to prevent disc golf from being flooded with discs that were worthless to 300' throwers, inconsistent for 400' throwers, but let 500' throwers consistently throw 600'.

Do you think the PDGA will one day change their specs and allow a wider rim, in order to "keep up with the times?"

If so, how long?

Or not at all?

Were "hybrid" golf clubs alwas legal? I honestly don't know anything about ball golf.