• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gator or Zone/ Gator & Zone

matthefan

I have a dump truck of a metal flake gator and a good old z zone. One might argue that the zone is sufficiently OS for utility purposes and workable for approach purposes and that I don't need the gator. Another might argue that the gator would be better suited for utility purposes and that I should bag both. My question is should I bag both or just the zone? And why?

I would argue that the gator is more like a Drone than a Zone. I am unable to Zone out to the distances that I would like. For me it about 150 feet max distance with a zone.

I have found that I could cover the Gator/Drone slot easier with a Zone and a Predator/Firebird. The only issue I run into is on a wind day when my Buzz flips over and wish I had a Drone with me.

The question for you is, can you do everything with a gator that you can with a zone? The reliable up-shot is why I will always have a zone with me.

Gator and Zone are different for me (mostly FH approaches) but I've replaced the Gator with a Whippet lately as there is less overlap.

As much as I love understable stuff I bag a Firebird, Pyro, and Drone. They all have specific flights I find no problem picking between the three.

Bag them both for a while and decide from there.

I would argue that the gator is more like a Drone than a Zone. I am unable to Zone out to the distances that I would like. For me it about 150 feet max distance with a zone.

I have found that I could cover the Gator/Drone slot easier with a Zone and a Predator/Firebird. The only issue I run into is on a wind day when my Buzz flips over and wish I had a Drone with me.

The question for you is, can you do everything with a gator that you can with a zone? The reliable up-shot is why I will always have a zone with me.
The zone is better for almost every shot but the two shots it can't do is a flat release that quickly dumps or a dumping downhill hyzer. The gator can turn a corner and dump so well and the zone just can't do it as well. That's where I'm at

The zone is better for almost every shot but the two shots it can't do is a flat release that quickly dumps or a dumping downhill hyzer. The gator can turn a corner and dump so well and the zone just can't do it as well. That's where I'm at
what about powering down a faster os disc for that quick dump

tbh i would test em both out and in each round whenever you throw one throw the other to compare to it

I threw a Gator for a while and have settled on a Zone (with the occasional Quake) instead after a while throwing A3s, which are baby Gators run over by a steamroller. The Gator is a tick faster and that made it harder for me to range on approaches. I think you could justify carrying both, but like others have said I don't really need the utility OS midrange slot for my game when I have a Zone, Firebird, and on occasion a Quake, which flies more like my old ESP Flx Drone with some speed and legs and less dumpy than my Gator.

I am kinda in the same predicament (except Toro instead of Zone). I think I've had the same ROG flat Champ Gator in my tournament lineup since 2018 so it is very familiar to me. I've tried some DX, KC, and XT Gators to see if they would fit the bag and find them a bit less stable to start - basically taking away the FH utility for chipping up to the green on approaches.

Toro is a more recent addition but doesn't quite have the same stability & distance (slower flying) potential in the different plastic blends I've tried (Metal Flake Ch, Gummy Ch, stock Star & Champ, Color Glow Ch, R-Pro). I like the Gummy Champ and Color Glow the most so far. R-Pro is nice for less ground action vs. the premium approach discs - still more stable than Star Rats - but I worry about replacing them (already chunked the rim on one of the 2 I purchased on a fence).

I've had flatter R-Pro Pigs in the tournament lineup prior to the Toro and may go back to them if my Champ Rhyno isn't working out for approaches in practice. I like the thumbtrack Pig better for headwind puts vs. the Toro/Gator so

I wonder if a different plastic blend for the Zone might produce a bigger difference in usage vs your MF Gator- Maybe one of the FLX blends? Also, the gaps between discs of different speeds can widen if you throw harder/softer or FH/BH predominate so some players might get different utility/range with different molds. If you play/practice in windy conditions a lot then you should test them out in various wind directions to see how they could overlap.

I think you answered your own question better than anyone else did. Low height power shots that need to flex out early need a bit more stability and speed than a Zone. I go back and forth between using a Gator like disc (OS Speed 4 or 5) or a Trident like disc (OS Speed 7.)

Last edited:

Latest posts