• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Getaway

Yeah. I've thrown both a bunch and escapes are very similar to roadrunners. Roadrunners are decently more stable than numbers suggest, and escapes are much less stable than their numbers suggest. Especially with a month on both, they will fly very similar, since the escape will season quicker. I had to stop throwing escapes because one day I realized my whole stack of them had worn to roller discs.

I have Paypal for flippy escapes:D:hfive::clap::)

no really:popcorn:

Hatchets and Sidewinders have similar stabilities for me. The one Star Roadrunner I owned was definitely a tick less stable than a SW, and the Escapes I've owned have all been at least a tick more stable than the Hatchets I've owned. Escapes clearly fill a different slot in the bag for me, unless comparing a beat Escape to a fresh RR which at that point I could see the comparison. I don't get the exact flights listed on inbounds (especially for the Roadrunner, which typically didn't fight out of its turnover for me), but overall this seems pretty accurate just by eyeballing the flight shapes: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR1130002111011484804899720864O

I wish I could find one of those super-flippy Renegades like y'all apparently have. My three Renegades were decent discs. Yes, I'm a noodle arm.

I have not tried an Escape, but it has a reputation for not being as stable as its numbers suggest. But it's a popular disc...

Oh man, try a bio or a fuzion, you will love it. Better flip to fade at lower power than any of the Innova molded offerings, I think.

I unfort have not had time to get out and even test the Getaway, but I'm realizing that because I actually like to forehand the Escape quite a bit, this one could be a winner both BH and FH.

Hatchets have become trick discs for me after about a month of use. They get that US. I think it would take me 4 years to get a Sidewinder there.

Fair point on Hatchets after they beat in. When new though, I find them pretty similar to a new Sidewinder. I guess this come down to whether you're comparing how quickly a disc beats in and flight characteristics change, or whether you're comparing a two fresh discs. Fresh, I'd say stability order is Escape > Hatchet & Sidewinder > Roadrunner.

For the record, I find Moonshine plastic to hold stability longer than Lucid/Fuzion, which gets you closer to the beat-in pattern of Innova. I actually like how quickly Trilogy plastic beats in though since it's easier to replace a lost disc. I have a combo of Moonshines for durability/stability, Lucids for normal cycling, and Biofuzions for beating in quick.

Fair point on Hatchets after they beat in. When new though, I find them pretty similar to a new Sidewinder. I guess this come down to whether you're comparing how quickly a disc beats in and flight characteristics change, or whether you're comparing a two fresh discs. Fresh, I'd say stability order is Escape > Hatchet & Sidewinder > Roadrunner.

For the record, I find Moonshine plastic to hold stability longer than Lucid/Fuzion, which gets you closer to the beat-in pattern of Innova. I actually like how quickly Trilogy plastic beats in though since it's easier to replace a lost disc. I have a combo of Moonshines for durability/stability, Lucids for normal cycling, and Biofuzions for beating in quick.

Which roadrunners have you thrown?

Which roadrunners have you thrown?

Star mid-160's. Tried a buddy's and liked it as a turnover disc and bought one of my own. Originally I liked that it would hold a long turnover line, and ride the happy medium where it wouldn't burn into the ground but also wouldn't fight out and fade. After bagging it for a bit it bugged me though because I couldn't control it for anything, and I wasn't trying to throw rollers yet so I really had very little use for it. Found the Hatchet to fight out at the end a little better which is why I sold the RR and have bagged Hatchets since. I have very limited experience with Sidewinders, since I didn't find it different enough from a Hatchet to warrant buying. I've got a stack of Escapes and always bag at least a couple. To me they're the perfect flip-to-flat disc.

That has not been my experience

"Getaway sounds interesting but I'm here to say that Escapes fly like Roadrunners."

This has not been my experience.

I have the Lucid Escape in 172g and a champ roadrunner at 170g, both lightly beat in.. I play a wooded coarse where you need big flex shots, so I have experimented with both pretty often high flex shots. I've found when thrown with some height the RR turns and burns and doesn't even think of flexing back out. But the Escape always flexes back when given room to work. I throw about 380ft max for reference. If thrown flat and low, they both turn and burn, but the Escape doesn't turn and burn anywhere nearly as much. I do agree that it's more understable than a -1 in regards to Innovas rating. For me the Escape has about a -2.5 turn and the RR has a -4.

"Getaway sounds interesting but I'm here to say that Escapes fly like Roadrunners."

This has not been my experience.

I have the Lucid Escape in 172g and a champ roadrunner at 170g, both lightly beat in.. I play a wooded coarse where you need big flex shots, so I have experimented with both pretty often high flex shots. I've found when thrown with some height the RR turns and burns and doesn't even think of flexing back out. But the Escape always flexes back when given room to work. I throw about 380ft max for reference. If thrown flat and low, they both turn and burn, but the Escape doesn't turn and burn anywhere nearly as much. I do agree that it's more understable than a -1 in regards to Innovas rating. For me the Escape has about a -2.5 turn and the RR has a -4.

I had poor luck with the Escape too. VERY flippy. Easily -4. I'd throw them hyzer and they'd bomb off right and never come back. I won't say they're quite as flippy as a Roadrunner, but damn close. The Getaway flies true to the numbers. Maybe -0.5 on high speed turn. DD needs to significantly update the flight numbers on the Escape and Renegade. Both have significantly more high speed turn than stated on the disc.

I've got a Biofuzion 166g in the bag most days and also have a Lucid and heavier Bio, as well. Feels like an Escape with a higher PLH, and flies like an overstable Escape or a Thunderbird, depending on your frame of reference. Definitely a different feel than a Felon. It's a very nice disc, especially after it beats in some. Mine has lost some HSS but still has all of its LSS; I literally have never turned it all the way over, even when throwing hard and into the wind. Granted, it has so much glide that it's really tough to control in a firm headwind or right to left crosswind, but it's not going to flip over on you either.

I throw a Felon for controlled hyzers and when the wind picks up, so that I can capitalize on its relative lack of glide. I throw Escapes as my workhorse fairways. The Getaway comes out when I'm afraid I might flip an Escape, but I need more distance than a Felon.

Update, for anyone who cares to know:
My 166 Bio Getaway is much more beat in now. Flying more like -2 turn but still has nearly all of its fade and a ton of glide. So probably around 9/5.5/-2/3. At this point it basically fills the slot of a fresh Escape, albeit with a lot more lateral wriggle. I'll probably keep it in the bag a while so I can continue to observe how a Getaway seasons. When we get to tournament season though, I imagine I'll rely on a fresh Escape (9/6/-1/2 for me) in that slot instead. I'm more familiar with Escapes, plus -1 & 2 turn & fade is more reliable for me than -2 & 3 turn & fade. I've already added a fresh 169g Fuzion Burst Getaway to the bag to handle Thunderbird-esque shots.

I had poor luck with the Escape too. VERY flippy. Easily -4. I'd throw them hyzer and they'd bomb off right and never come back. I won't say they're quite as flippy as a Roadrunner, but damn close. The Getaway flies true to the numbers. Maybe -0.5 on high speed turn. DD needs to significantly update the flight numbers on the Escape and Renegade. Both have significantly more high speed turn than stated on the disc.

You throw pretty far though, right? Like 400+ for fairway drivers? I just don't think the Escape is designed to be a workhorse fairway for people with your arm speed. I throw them smooth and controlled at 300' really consistently and can power them up to 330'. I don't think I've ever really tried to get them further than that.*** But for my form at least, I would rather start discing up to something in the Speed 11 range if I need to throw more than 330'.

BTW, agree with you on the Renegade. That disc absorbs absolutely no power. I can throw a neutral midrange with more force. It's a standstill driver or roller disc only for me. Easily my least favorite DD disc.

***Correction. I just checked in uDisc and I've measure some Escape throw over 350' during fieldwork. However, I stand by my initial statement that I prefer them in the 300'-350' range. Carry on.

Last edited:
^^^Dang it. I tried getting my correction in too fast and typed poorly. Meant that I prefer Escapes from 300'-330', even though I've measure throws with them over 350' during fieldwork. Typing is difficult.

You throw pretty far though, right? Like 400+ for fairway drivers? I just don't think the Escape is designed to be a workhorse fairway for people with your arm speed. I throw them smooth and controlled at 300' really consistently and can power them up to 330'. I don't think I've ever really tried to get them further than that.*** But for my form at least, I would rather start discing up to something in the Speed 11 range if I need to throw more than 330'.

BTW, agree with you on the Renegade. That disc absorbs absolutely no power. I can throw a neutral midrange with more force. It's a standstill driver or roller disc only for me. Easily my least favorite DD disc.

***Correction. I just checked in uDisc and I've measure some Escape throw over 350' during fieldwork. However, I stand by my initial statement that I prefer them in the 300'-350' range. Carry on.

I suppose I throw pretty far. I won't pretend to be Paul McBeth, but I can get a Thunderbird out near 400' on a good rip.

You could be right. Maybe I'm just throwing the Escape too hard. Thing was, it didn't seem like I was trying that hard when I threw them. I soured on that disc quick and gave up on it. The Renegade (as mentioned) was even worse. Flippiest damn thing I've ever seen.

I like fairway drivers that absorb power well. Stuff like the Getaway, Musket, Explorer, Teebird, and Thunderbird. All of those respond well to hard throws without getting flippy. My 2 workhorse fairway drivers are a champion Thunderbird and Teebird. The Teebird gives me the same flight as the Thunderbird, but about 20' shorter.

If I want something SLIGHTLY flippy I'll throw a Convict or FD. Neither of those are good in wind though.

Stability question: anyone thrown the Special Edition (SE) plastic blend Getaways, and if so, how does it compare to normal Fuzion plastic? My local shop has a few SE's left. I'm planning on going in to pick up a fresh Biofuzion and backup Fuzion Getaway, but might grab an SE for kicks and giggles instead of the Fuzion.

I throw Saints and Convicts in that 9 speed slot but am very interested the Getaway. I have a fuzion burst and an SE one ready to try out. I'm just waiting to work with the Getaway. My question is, how does the Getaway compare to those discs i currently throw? I've read that it might replace both of them with one disc. True or not? I average 300' with my Saints for reference.

I throw Saints and Convicts in that 9 speed slot but am very interested the Getaway. I have a fuzion burst and an SE one ready to try out. I'm just waiting to work with the Getaway. My question is, how does the Getaway compare to those discs i currently throw? I've read that it might replace both of them with one disc. True or not? I average 300' with my Saints for reference.

If you're only throwing a Saint 300', a Getaway is going to feel pretty clunky and overstable. Getaways like to be thrown hard, and you'll probably need 360' power to really flatten them out.

The Getaway might be too much disc for you.

Getaways are very similar to Thunderbirds if you've thrown Thundies for reference. Or relative to a Convict, the Getaway has much more HSS but similar LSS. A beat in Getaway flies very similar to a fresh Convict, something akin to 9/5/-1.5/2.5.
If you're looking for a direct Convict replacement then buy a Biofuzion Getaway around 5g lighter than you normally throw; it'll beat in relatively quickly to the flight #'s above. Or if you want a more wind resistant complement to your Convict, then congratulations because your new Fuzion Getaway is perfect for that role.

Picked up a fuzion burst Getaway (171) a few weeks ago and got to throw it a few times this weekend finally. For reference, I throw saints/escapes around the 325-350 range. Was looking for something I could lay into pretty hard when I know I can't afford to wind up going right (rhbh). First throw with it was on about a 280' hole slightly uphill. Junk to the right and a nice bailout area to the left. Ripped it hard (~85%) flat and it went dead straight then finished just left of the basket.

Second throw was a forehand of roughly the same distance. The hole had heavy trees/rough all up the right then opened up to the right close to the basket. Got it a little higher than I liked which started the fade a little soon but not dumpy at all. Just held a slight hyzer then I thought it dumped into the heavy rough. Looked for it for 30 minutes then finally gave up. Walked up past the rough to the basket and it was sitting 50' past where I thought it went in.

Loving it so far but I literally have those 2 throws with it. Need to get out to a field to really see what it can do. My thoughts on where it fits in my bag are for more stable duties than my escape but not quite as overstable as my felon. Thinking for drives where I need to get the disc out there (can't get my felon out too far before it hyzers hard) but need to ensure little to no hs turn.

I am curious how it beats in. Hoping the LS goes first.

If you're only throwing a Saint 300', a Getaway is going to feel pretty clunky and overstable. Getaways like to be thrown hard, and you'll probably need 360' power to really flatten them out.

The Getaway might be too much disc for you.

Seems to me like it would be a good option to throw into the wind the same way he might throw a Saint in the calm.