• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting bagged

In my last tournament, there was 4 divisions: Rec, Int, Adv and Open. Nobody played rec. The best score was in open, 2nd best in Int and the next 3 in Advanced. I got 4th in advanced but would have been in 2nd in the Int and Open. It was a huge bagger fest.

In my last tournament, there was 4 divisions: Rec, Int, Adv and Open. Nobody played rec. The best score was in open, 2nd best in Int and the next 3 in Advanced. I got 4th in advanced but would have been in 2nd in the Int and Open. It was a huge bagger fest.

The guy who won Int would be the only real bagger out there. Seems like advanced was pretty even with having the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th best scores of the tournament. It just sounds like the open division wasn't very good.

This is why I stopped playing touramets and wasting my money. When the only dude in my division that beats me, beats me by 12 strokes you know there's something wrong. I shot -4 on the day for 2nd dude that wins shoots -16.... in rec. This is all the time around here. Kinda just kills it for me. I feel ya OP.

My rating is only 927 but I've only been playing for about a year and a half, I always play my rating except for at my home course I play advanced. But I have been called a bagger plenty and it is just people that are mad because they lost. If I win an advanced tourney and my rating is intermediate what else do they want me to do to not be a bagger, play pro? Seriously though I have played against many baggers but I do not care, if I cannot beat them then that is my own problem and I realize anyone can have a good round on any given day. If a person does not have a rating though and wins in a division handily and continues to play it, then that is ridiculous.

Bagging is everwhere

at Scarboro Scarboro Scorcher
Chris Ridgeway shot a +5 IN REC. His first round was a 956, second was a 922.
He would have tied for second in Intermediate or Placed 4th in Advanced (actually earning more prize money)

Bagging is everwhere

He would have tied for second in Intermediate or Placed 4th in Advanced (actually earning more prize money)

I don't know about "everywhere"....everytime I look into bagging claims around here, they're easily debunked. (See also the subject player's response to the original post).

One great tournament does not a bagger make. Chris Ridgeway isn't a PDGA member so I can't research myself; does he regularly shoot so well in tournaments?

To begin this off, my name is John Lynn and my PDGA rating is 901. My StL club rating is 8.81. My buddy Pat that played with me, I won't give out his last name, but his PDGA rating is 886 and his StL rating is 8.62. I played in the intermediate division in the StL Open, which is the prime tournament for the StL area. I did not cash out in the tournament. My buddy, Pat, played rec and I think he took in the top 3 or 5. ...

Fortunately, Pat and myself probably should have signed up in the advanced division, and yes, we recognize that. However, based upon rating and recent performances, we as a team, felt as if the intermediate division was the necessary division for us to play in.

In my honest opinion, I don't think you would have deserved to be called "baggers" if you played Rec, since the average of your two ratings was in the AM3 range. It was probably a wise choice to play Intermediate, though, since the unsanctioned tournaments tend to have lots of people playing "up" a division or two because the competition isn't as serious. There's also the possibility that the two of you just happen to work well as a doubles team. If you both complement the other's weaknesses, the whole can be more than the sum of its parts. That may be something you can take into account next time. :thmbup:

I recently entered a tourney with 74 baggers in my division. I took 75th, but excluding the sand baggers, I won it.

Bagging is everwhere

Having played with the guy on a regular basis I can easily tell you he just shot the two best rounds of his LIFE. He normally scores in upper 60's and low 70's. Anytime he shoots low 60's has been because pins were in the short placements.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/Scarboro_Hills_Churchville_Point_Series_2012/leaderboards

There is a link to a league he is in if you want to see some scores.

I recently entered a tourney with 74 baggers in my division. I took 75th, but excluding the sand baggers, I won it.

I laughed so hard I blew a snot rocket. Good thing I'm working outside and not on a bid. Otherwise my boss would have walked in and seen slime on my keyboard and it would have been an uncomfortable situation. The conversation would have then started with "well (pause)....." and anytime your boss starts a conversation with that it doesn't end well.

Back to the op, I have been to a tournament where the winner of rec would have won open. It was just an ice bowl but still. The bitching was overwhelming and said guy didn't stick around for the trophy.

On a side note his score compared to last place was like an 80 stroke difference. Never seen that much of a difference in one division.

Last edited:
As a bagger, I would just like to say, I prefer plastic over paper. They have better durability for picking up garbage off the course.

Haven't seen a legitimate case of bagging proven in this thread yet. Nonetheless, all the whining here just bolsters the case for trophy only bottom divisions. If you get bagged then, its merely for bragging rights.

Also something to think about, lots of am2 players are very inconsistent. Im a 910 rated player, and I shot a 978 rated round yesterday. Hot rounds do happen.

Wait.. So this "johnny" says he can throw 475 feet but he only threw 275 feet in the distance competition??? Ummm yea...

Latest posts