• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glaring omission in the top 10

I threw a 9 on hole one and lost 2 discs. to me that makes the course memorable. Solomon.trenton will not forget seeing a half naked prerube dive into the water and then continue to play the front 9 barefoot :)

Sounds familiar :)

Damn, didn't mean to copy. Lol, i remember reading your reply on the course (oak grove) and agreeing. Then i thought about my reply back at the van, not giving yours another thought, though i wonder how much of a subliminal influence you had on me.

I agree, although it depends a little on what you're in the mood for. Maple Hill seems to anger a small % of reviewers who go and lose half their bag in the water, so that might be why it's out of the top ten.

I lost discs in the ponds I lost discs in the identical rows of xmas trees....It's quite a course...I remember the first 10 reviews for Maple Hill were such BS and it drove the Idlewild and Flip City guys bonkers...those were the good ole days of dgcr

I do agree that New Englanders tend to rate a full point lower in their reviews across the region....the best courses I have seen and played have been in the Northeast/new england area....very underrated region

I think the most glaring admissions are the courses that are in the middle of nowhere and don't get played often enough to get rated enough.

Yep. No close airfield to get there but fly into a bigger market airport and drive some distance (unless you have a private plane). Of course, flying into the Twin Cities gives you access to our courses besides driving to Highbridge on the same trip.

And you can see people playing even before you land, if you look out the right-side window when landing on runway 30R.

I found your problem, the course is too long for Dave 242 :\

haha :D

If I raised my rating from 3.5 (Very Good) to 5.0, the average would go from 4.622 to 4.653

It would go to 4.643 if I raised it to 4.5 and 4.633 if I raised it to 4.0. So.....I guess you are right since #10 Beaver Ranch is 4.632.

If Maple Hill gets 2 more 5.0's (and everything else remains the same), it will be rated 4.637 and will make the top 10.
--------------
BTW, I rated Maple Hill at a grade of 89 (just below a grade of 90 = A = 4.0). It is above Idlewild (#2), DeLaVeaga, Cliff Stephens, Lemon Lake Blue, Mason County Beauty, and Silver Creek all of which I graded 88. I also graded it higher than #1 on the top 10 (which is the only other of the top 10 I have played).

You might think it is strange to ding courses for being too long. But if you feel it is fair to ding courses that are too short to be a worthy and fun challenge, then why is it inconsistent with that rationale?

I think the glaring omission from the top 10 is Winter Park = 4.58 (although since Superberry has moved, I heard the course has dropped off a little in playability).

You might think it is strange to ding courses for being too long. But if you feel it is fair to ding courses that are too short to be a worthy and fun challenge, then why is it inconsistent with that rationale?

I think the glaring omission from the top 10 is Winter Park = 4.58 (although since Superberry has moved, I heard the course has dropped off a little in playability).

I think it is strange to ding a course that has 4 layouts as being too long. Was gold too long? B/c there are 3 other layouts that you could have played.

Comparing Flip City/BRP/Maple Hill/Highbridge to winter park is laughable. Can we at least say courses in the top 10 should have concrete tee pads or nice rubber ones.

Maple Hill has four layouts for different ability levels. The red layout isn't very long - most holes come in under 300. I don't have the arm to play the gold layout that the pros play, but I find red and white to be perfectly suited for my game. We've brought first timers to play red, and it worked really well.

Out of curiosity, had you played any of the shorter layouts?

Maple Hill is in incredible shape right now. Hole 18 lost some trees and it helped bigtime. Hole 11 landing zone is cleaned up and the green area was cleaned up.

Although I heard they are losing the green for 11 gold/blue, hole 12 gold/blue fairway and hole 16 gold tee.

Can we at least say courses in the top 10 should have concrete tee pads or nice rubber ones.

Sure, you can say anything about what top 10 courses should or should not have in order to earn their ratings.

However, that will not stop the way people rate/review courses here on DGCR. :|

A private course can probably get away with natural pads assuming the owner keeps them in good shape. Public courses tend to get too much play to keep the pads from getting rutted and people who like to play early when the ground is soft with dew or in the rain.

I think a course needs some legit par 4 holes to be in the top 10.

I think it is strange to ding a course that has 4 layouts as being too long. Was gold too long? B/c there are 3 other layouts that you could have played.

My goal is to have my ratings list be as consistent from top to bottom as is possible (to make something that is subjective as objective as possible). For this reason, I only rate courses from the longest tee to the longest basket. I can always find that layout even if the baskets are in some different location. I state this in every review so readers understand.

The problem with doing as you suggest is that there are way to many permutations to play to even comprehend when you get 2-3 tee pads per hole and 2-4 basket locations per. Then, am I supposed to choose the best tee that suits me for each hole. Or, maybe I would have to ding the courses that are too short from the shorts. Hopefully you get the point that with all the different course scenarios out there, there is no good way to be consistent in choosing how you rate......other than how I am doing it.

Comparing Flip City/BRP/Maple Hill/Highbridge to winter park is laughable. Can we at least say courses in the top 10 should have concrete tee pads or nice rubber ones.

Glad I could get a chuckle out of you. :D BTW, Flyboy made quite a splash on the charts (before going RIP) without rubber or concrete tees.

My exact thought after playing Beaver Ranch.

It was in the #4 spot when i played it. My wife and I were both underwhelmed and left thinking, No way this is one of the best in the world. So now every time it I get a chance I like to bash it a little.

lol, The tee signs were laminated paper nailed to trees!

(not that that made a differance to me. All I want from a tee sign is the distance, par and if the hole has any mando or OB. I think the hole layouts are overboard and would rather see markings near the basket leading to the next tee.

Latest posts