• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow dye and easter eggs!

jenrobinson

The two aren't really relatable, but the ideas have been spawned from our three day venture into disc dyeing.

We've spent the weekend dyeing several discs using the shaving cream method. I attempted two using the laundry detergent method, but they did not dye very well. I am not sure if I didn't leave them on long enough, but the shaving cream method had been awesome.

It seems each time we pull out another one to rinse it off we learn something new. My husband usually buys dark color discs and now he's eyeing all the light ones in the stores. He is ADDICTED to dyeing. He is going to venture off to stencils soon.

Anyhow, this is why I've really posted. Via this forum, I found the Dharma Trading online store to purchase iDye Poly. Our Joann's has it, but they were limited on their color selection. From what I understand about the dye, the main point of it is to be able to dye plastic (or specified for manufactured fibers like polyester, rayon, etc). While I on Dharma Trading's website, I perused their dye second and found this glow in the dark paint: http://www.dharmatrading.com/paints/glow-in-the-dark-paints-30ml.html?lnav=paints.html

It says it adheres to glass, metal, plastic and wood as well. I am wondering, has anyone attempted using this (or other glow in the dark) paint on a disc?

And the easter eggs, well I have realized the changing the medium from shaving cream to whipped cream and the dye from fabric dye to gel food coloring, we could get some awesomely marbled/tie-dyed easter eggs going! The kids are already having a blast with the disc dyeing, we are going to take Easter eggs to a whole new level now. It's the simple things in life.

the only thing with paint is that it will add thickness to the disc, thus rendering it non-usable in a sanctioned tourney under pdga rules.

dye doesn't add any thickness (it just stains the disc).

In addition to thickness, paint will add weight. Even if you never throw it in a sanctioned event, the extra weight and thickness will affect disc flight.

^Same with Paint Pens, you can't use them or it makes a disc illegal. I used a silver sharpie once and a dude called me on it, good thing I had it on me, and the silver sharpie is legal.

Huh. I have copper and gold markers too, and they all seem to mark consistently. Ah well, I barely ever play sanctioned rounds anyway, and I have a PDGA stalker begging for a metallic dragon.

All sharpies should be fine, they're ink, not paint.

Should be, though someone may know better if there are actual metallic particles in the silver/copper/gold Sharpies, and could determine how many thousanths of a gram one might add in marking a disc.

All sharpies should be fine, they're ink, not paint.

Should be, though someone may know better if there are actual metallic particles in the silver/copper/gold Sharpies, and could determine how many thousanths of a gram one might add in marking a disc.

I swear I read somewhere that the silver one is the only one you can use. But i drink a lot of beer so maybe i made this up.

Well, not to complicate things, but Sharpie paint pens do exist. I used one to highlight the VIN number on my project car. Had to shake it and pump it to work. The metallic markers are simply "pull of the lid and doodle"

Paint pens have been around for a long time, they're largely used in industrial applications to mark metal.

Ah! Yes, see you can realize my newness to this disc dyeing business. My brain didn't make the connection that it is PAINT and not dye. That's kind of a duh moment. I get lots of those as a mom.

Thanks everyone, I reckon sticking to dyeing an already glow-in-the-dark disc is the way to go.

Latest posts