• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to be in Charlotte Oct. 5th

wmforge

Me and a buddy of mine will be in Charlotte playing Friday and maybe early Saturday. I'm looking at courses near where I'm staying and was wondering if you had a choice of the six parks listed which ones would you play and why? Thanks, Dale

1. Nevin Park
2. Hornets Nest
3. Bradford Park
4. Sugaw Park
5. Bailey Road Park
6. Eastway Park

If it was up to me, I would play Hornet's Nest, Bradford, and Eastway. Hornet's Nest, IMO, is one of the best public's in NC. It's both challenging and fun, plus you can play either the Nest or Web layout. Bradford has a good variety of open and wooded holes, plus a couple of holes play around a pond. Eastway just because it's a good change of pace from the other two. It's very open and there are many opportunities to show off the big arm.

As for the other three, Bailey Road is very short and easy. You could use it for a warm up. Nevin is very challenging. Definitely have to hit your lines here. Playing it feels more like a chore than anything. I've never played Sugaw but have heard it's good.

I also recommend considering RL Smith and Idlewild. RL Smith's a brutal workout but has some fun holes. Idlewild is just a beautiful, wooded course. It also has a couple of water carriers (try not to lose your disc on hole 9, if you play the longs)

I hope this helps. Either way, you can't go wrong spending your whole day in Charlotte slinging the plastic.:thmbup:

In this order

Hornets, Bradford, Nevin, Eastway, Sugaw, Bailey.

why? just because that's how i feel right now.

tomorrow i might put Sugaw higher and Nevin at the bottom...

but Hornets/Bradford is the 1-2 punch.

Of those six Bradford or Nevin is probably my favorite. Bailey would be at the bottom of that list. Both Bradford and Nevin offer great challenges of your game. Sometimes maybe a little too challenging. My favorite course in Charlotte is probably Scrapyard aka Idlewild. It has just the right amount if challenge for me to make it really fun. Its also probably in the healthiest forest of any of the Charlotte courses, and I enjoy that aspect too.

Scrapyard
RL Smith
Nevin
Bradford
Hornets Nest
Eastway

Maybe not in that exact order, but those are the 6 I'd hit.

My sequence of Charlotte area courses to hit:

1. Nevin
2. RL Smith
3. Hornets Nest
4. Renny
5. Angry Beaver
6. Kilborne
7. Bradford
8. Eastway
9. Scrapyard
10. Reedy Creek
11. Rankin
12. Winget

1. Hornets Nest (timeless, fun and balanced)
2. Nevin Park (Super challenging but enjoyable.)
3. Bradford Park (extremely solid, good balance of fun and challenge)
4. Eastway Park (front 9 features some great holes, some open "meh" holes but still a nice course.)
5. Sugaw Park (never played it but it's in a bad neighborhood and is an older course. Looks fun though.)
6. Bailey Road Park (short, deuce or die course. Fun, low challenge casual course.)

I would definitely float RL Smith and Idlewild near the top 3 of that list, they're both great.

Bailey #1, play it every morning before you leave to play the others... it will only take you 45 minutes! Its the only place I practice for tournaments (except worlds this year). If you hear saws at Nevin come say hi, we are making it harder...its too easy.

If Nevin is like raking the yard, Bailey is jumping in the leaves when you are done!

Bradford, Nevin, Hornets Nest and Bailey are all relatively close in proximity. They are all on the north side of Charlotte. Bradford and Bailey are about 6 miles apart from each other off of HWY 73. Nevin and Hornets Nest are sort of down the road from each other too. As for a preference order of which course to play. Here is my 2 cents,

1. Bradford
2. Hornets Nest
3. Nevin
4. Bailey

There is also Stumpy Creek further north on I-77 off exit 36.

Would love to guide you at Bradford, but i will be at USDGC.

Thanks for all the input guys. We are going to hit as many courses as we can Friday then play one more on Saturday. Next time hope to meet up with a few of you. Thanks, Dale

Thanks everyone who posted ideas here. I hijacked this info for my own Charlotte trip. Enjoyed every course I played, including Renny, Hornet's Nest, Bailey, Bradford, and Richmond Hill over in Asheville.

Surprised that Renny wasn't among the recommended courses in this thread - I thought it was a fantastic challenge, even if it was above my skill level.