• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golden Retriever disc diver

I have mine looped onto a bracket that is on my bag. My hb atomic has like 6 brackets.... I guess 4 are used for straps... and the other two are for whatever. I use the two extra brackets for my carabiner car keys and to loop my golden retriever. It works great. I had to go to this method because I left my first golden retriever behind during a glow round :/

Are you afraid you'll throw so hard the 5 year old goes in to?

Nice! :thmbup:
I used to carry my GR with a carabiner, just clipped onto my NutSac, but the cord would always come loose, and drag like 20' behind me. Finally got smart, tied the loose end to the carabiner, and clipped it around the frame. Problem solved, plus now I can clip the loose end to my bag or belt while in use.

I've had one or years. I have used it a lot! Like most people said, it works great if you can see the disc and are unobstructed. I highly recommend it. Also, once you get one, untangle it BEFORE you throw your disc in the water. It will save you some time. I also recommend carrying a couple softballs/ baseballs in your bag to get your discs out of trees. A friend of mine brings a slingshot and it works great too!

I don't have a GR but I got a home built disc grabber.

Works great. Snagged a sweet green Star Xcal the other day. Got some ink though - Dan H something or 'nother. Anybody know this guy?

Should I call the the #?

Will Rogers. Wasn't in the black hole long. Not stinky at all.

Freakin hilarious J. I don't think Dan needs that xcal back though, he keeps trying to lose all that he has. Tried to lose a champ twice last weekend on the same hole. (I'm pretty sure it was an xcal. Also, I'm pretty sure we used my slingshot to get one down a while ago.)

Dan, how many have you lost since the end of December?

OT: Dan H is the reason I got a golden retriever. Once I saw him use his saving one of mine, I knew I had to have one. I haven't used it too often but it has definitely paid for itself. Well worth having in the bag.

I bought one a while back, but I'm still not completely sold.

Everyone says they work well when you can see the disc. But, on my home course (Rogers Lakewood) if I can see the disc, I can pretty much also reach it. Or reach it with a fallen branch, etc.

Maybe next summer, with more frequent use, there will be enough discs for blind throwing to turn something up. (To return them to owners, naturally!)

I have had a bit of fun playing with my retriever on the ice this winter. I pulled back one of my own, and two for others without having to worry about the ice. One was from about 55 feet! That took a while; had to use both ropes, and add a third, etc.

All that said, it fits easily in my bag, underneath my discs. So, my retriever's not going anywhere any time soon.

Even before buying the retriever, I was on a quest to find reliable 130g-class discs for water holes. And, the retriever has paired nicely there as well. It lets me throw 130g discs quite boldly on these type of holes, and if things go badly the retriever is pretty good at encouraging floating discs back in my direction.

I've retrieved 30+ shots on ice and in water with my golden retriever, I'm a big fan. Several of those were probably reachable if I spent the time hunting for a long enough stick, but most of them would have involved getting at least my feet wet and usually more so that alone is enough to make it worth the price for me.

I do want to replace the string with a retractable clothesline, I hate untangling and unknotting the stupid thing every time.

The GR works, but it's not foolproof. Like others have said, it works best if you can see the disc (obviously), but if you know generally where the disc is and you have enough patience, you can dredge up a disc with it eventually.

IME so far, the greatest hurdle is all the other crap that may be in/on the water. One of our courses has a stagnant creek running through it filled with sticks, logs, and surface vegetation that make using the GR very difficult.

I have one also but haven't used it in a long time. I tied a slip knot and put the loop on my non-throwing hand (left) and threw it out with my right hand, almost like a cast net. It works ok, like others have said though, if the bottom is rocky or you don't have a clear line to throw through, its effectiveness is limited.

I've never thrown a disc in the water that I could see but couldn't reach with a stick except one time in a swamp. I ended up making a bridge out of logs, I guess that would have been the only time the golden retreiver would have been useful to me but then again I still got my disc and it probably only took me an extra 3-5 min.

What kind of ridiculous water hazards do you guys have that are blessed with clear water and smooth, rock-less and branch-free bottoms? The GR would be so useless up here!