• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf is dead.

Speculation: They are disc golf pirates, and on the 4th of July they will invade Pebble Beach golf course to loot and pillage - their ship will be called, the SS Avenger.

I'd pay $2 to see this, but no more... and only if the course was worth it.

Golf is not "Dying" it is "regressing" It is no longer sustainable with an overpopulation of courses and less golfers the sport has been in decline for years. Private courses cannot keep enough members because they aren't willing to pay as much because the lower end courses are dropping their prices and memberships to keep the places filled. The sponsors and the PGA tour have not felt it as much other than losing title sponsors here and there. Golf will never die, but it will have to regress further before it can be sustainable. Remember when golf was played on sand greens? Probably not but it was not that long ago truthfully (at least in terms of the history of this sport) I would like to compare this to disc golf . . . remember when there was no turf around the baskets because it has been so compacted and eroded from overuse . . . one day maybe we will have nice properly built green areas where the turf can sistain itself, or for that matter why even have turf, do it like Idlewild and put a syntehtic turf down to reduce the erosion and the inputs needed to maintain compacted soils and turf.

Disc golf needs to become more sustainable too however. We need to find a way to get more money into the sport from sponsors, and other revenue streams, and to find a way for people (professionals as well as designers and promoters) to make money doing it full time, otherwise we will be stuck in the early days of the sport where everything was volunteer and not standardized.

I am not faulting the sport for beginning the way it did, but it will eventually need to progress or it will suffer the same problems that golf has been experiencing for well over a decade now.

The biggest issue with golf is with a depressed economy there is no expendable income . . . well disc golf is probably the same . . . because if you took the incomes of all disc golfers and compared it to "golfers" you would find that there is also very little expendable income. I have never met more unemployed people in my life than in the 3.5 years of playing disc golf. I am not bashing anyone, sometimes life is tough and you lose your job, but that is also the attractiveness of disc golf is it costs so little to start playing and almost nothing to continue to play. Golf is expensive on both ends!

Last edited:
GOLF IS DEAD
AND NOONE CARES
IF THERE IS A COURSE
WE WON'T BE THERE

Peter Noone?

PeterNoone2.jpg

Negative ad campaign?

I'm not real impressed by a company that has to promote themselves by putting down somebody/something else. But then again I'm old & this hating business is pretty popular with the young crowd. And the skulls & such leads me to believe this is a young, hip, up & coming company that will surely go far! :p

I'm not real impressed by a company that has to promote themselves by putting down somebody/something else. But then again I'm old & this hating business is pretty popular with the young crowd. And the skulls & such leads me to believe this is a young, hip, up & coming company that will surely go far! :p

I'd agree except that SI blogger who trashed disc golf and won't respond on twitter needs to see some of these shirts. I'm in for a golfer vs. disc golfer throwdown. Clubs are better weapons but a driver to the face has the distance factor.

The numbers Sunday when Tiger was winning say otherwise. I was on the course playing, so I say otherwise. :)

sweet some cliche skulls and crossbones. hey guys should we try to come up with something original? nah lets just do the same old thing. it will sell, its just disc golfers!

sweet some cliche skulls and crossbones. hey guys should we try to come up with something original? nah lets just do the same old thing. it will sell, its just disc golfers!

Well...they did turn one bone into a golf club with a ball.

Not impressed or inclined to be interested here, either. If I want skulls I'll start practicing la sante muerte.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to add the other stuff for the sake of conversation. Don't take it as a disagreement.

I love the 10 words you need to stop misspelling in your signature and I didn't intend it that way. :doh:

I hope golf is in decline -- maybe I can get a decent tee time in two weeks at Myrtle.

They said the same thing about hip hop :rolleyes:

I wish they had been right :gross:
No no, they're right. Hip hop is pretty much flatlining and has been for about 6 years.

--------------------------------------------

Too bad they didn't go with their alternative slogan. Golf: It has the sniffles.

Well...they did turn one bone into a golf club with a ball.

Not impressed or inclined to be interested here, either. If I want skulls I'll start practicing la sante muerte.

^this
Nothing in the Logo has to do with "Disc Golf". Very weak, and attacking something without any creativity besides words. Good luck guys. Way to celebrate independence day with a skull and crossbones.:thmbdown:

Last edited:
However, Uncle Sam, stomping on Fowler, and cleaning his disc with that stupid orange shirt would have gained a :thmbup:.

Even the crappiest golf course is maintained more than your average disc golf course, cause its pay2play. Start making a higher pay2play and we may see some change in the sport, major sponsors will dump in $ cause they know its viable. We are 10-15 years from this right now imo.

Latest posts