• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Gyropalooza 2022

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
As a mvp fanboy, I was really looking forward to gyropalooza 2022. I was hoping mvp would finally release a disc fans have been asking for like a 12 speed driver, a glow gltich, a glow crave, a ultra low glide putter.

Today the release is a proxy that glows in different colors including the rim.

When i think mvp, i think innovation. Changing the colors of glow discs are cool and all but kind of a let down considering every mvp fanboy already has a glow proxy or envy.

Im sure ill get plenty of criticism about this but its just my uneducated and personal opinion. What do you guys think. Stoked about it or were you expecting more?

I like and bag some MVP discs but I've never given any thought to what they should offer for gyropalooza. I did consider driving two hours to a space race event to get my hands on an eclipse Hex but the heavy fission Hex has scratched that itch.

I keep thinking I should try out some of that sweet MVP glow, but then I remember I only end up playing glow a couple times a winter so what I've got is plenty.

I like and bag some MVP discs but I've never given any thought to what they should offer for gyropalooza. I did consider driving two hours to a space race event to get my hands on an eclipse Hex but the heavy fission Hex has scratched that itch.

Fission hex is asolutely amazing. Definitely my most thrown disc outside of putter/approach discs

I am excited for discs that glow different colors if they glow as bright as standard 2.0

The main courses our glow league plays have some streetlights and sometimes standard white/green glow does not stand out under a streetlight, especially with any of the white stuff on the ground.

I am excited for discs that glow different colors if they glow as bright as standard 2.0

The main courses our glow league plays have some streetlights and sometimes standard white/green glow does not stand out under a streetlight, especially with any of the white stuff on the ground.

They admitted in a youtube video that the new colors will not be as bright as the 2.0 as green is the brightest color they can make. The rim will glow though.

Just doesnt give much a reason to get one, if you already have a glow proxy or envy.

Yeah... I'm a little underwhelmed, I will always take more envy but the stable is pretty thick with em. Anyone who wanted a glow proxy (not me) has one.

The L2's are still a good deal.. I would hope for something like a prototype electron envy L2, or a hex eclipse. Maybe a rhythm, eclipse relay :D?

I'm probably buying a box but there's no huge pull this time, I was pretty fired up about an uplink last time. I don't need a bunch of crap I won't throw, but as the good stuff filters in on FB I might try my luck haha.

They admitted in a youtube video that the new colors will not be as bright as the 2.0 as green is the brightest color they can make. The rim will glow though.

Just doesnt give much a reason to get one, if you already have a glow proxy or envy.

I did the box last year for the blue Inertia, and it's PLENTY bright. Admittedly, not as bright as Eclipse 2.0, and probably not quite as bright as Kasta stuff, but it beats anything else for brightness and more importantly, duration.

Personally I'm not a big Proxy guy, so I'm bummed the dual color glow mold isn't something I'd throw, but the concept is off the damn charts cool! I'm debating buying the box and seeing if I can get 12 free Factory Seconds by flipping the two glow discs. I'd put my odds at roughly 60/40 of breaking even or coming out ahead if I try it.

As a mvp fanboy, I was really looking forward to gyropalooza 2022. I was hoping mvp would finally release a disc fans have been asking for like a 12 speed driver, a glow gltich, a glow crave, a ultra low glide putter.

Today the release is a proxy that glows in different colors including the rim.

When i think mvp, i think innovation. Changing the colors of glow discs are cool and all but kind of a let down considering every mvp fanboy already has a glow proxy or envy.

Im sure ill get plenty of criticism about this but its just my uneducated and personal opinion. What do you guys think. Stoked about it or were you expecting more?

140 dollars for 14 discs (10 per disc) where MVP has pretty much said they are going to guarantee that you don't get multiple Nomads is really not a bad deal. I would agree, however, it is a bit underwhelming especially as I don't play glow rounds often if at all. It's cool technology for sure but I'd much rather see a new mold, or a prototype mold that hasn't been released.

As far as speed 12 drivers...I've slowly been learning that the speed number is all relative. I used trydiscs.com to come up with some examples.

Disc Diameter Rim Height Rim Width
21.1 1.4 2.2
21.1 1.6 2.3
21.1 1.8 2.3
21.1 1.6 2.2
21.1 1.9 2.3
21.1 1.7 2.2
21.1 1.4 2.2
21.1 1.4 2.2

In that list of data for 8 different discs 5 are speed 12 drivers that are pretty popular and 3 of those lines are the zenith, the wave, and the photon.

For reference the same data for the volt (listed first) and the thunderbird are below:

21.1 1.6 2.0 (volt)
21.2 1.6 1.9 (thunderbird)

Yet the thunderbird is a speed 9 disc and the volt is speed 8. I confess this is really hard for me because of how my organized mind works, but I try not to think of speed and just think of distance and the disc flight and try to organize my bag that way.

Speed describes how fast you need to throw to make the disc fly according to the numbers. Speed does not describe rim width, although there's usually a correlation

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Speed describes how fast you need to throw to make the disc fly according to the numbers. Speed does not describe rim width, although there's usually a correlation

As far as I know, speed is an arbitrary number that represents what you stated above. It isn't as if there is some standard PDGA machine that throws a disc at "speed 12" and the respective company who made the disc is there going, "ah yes that's the flight we were after, what speed was that?"

The rim width, height, disc diameter are far more indicative of "speed" as these are the factors that almost directly influence the speed of a disc. That's all I was trying to point out here. Based on all the MVP discs I've thrown in comparison to other manufactures, MVP's flight numbers are about 0.5-1 too low on the speed rating. Or all the other manufacturers are 0.5-1 too high. In the end it's all arbitrary

I do not believe this at all. It really breaks down as "speed" gets lower.

In what way?

If it only took "5 power", whatever that is, to throw a 5 speed disc to their numbers, almost no one would carry them. Speed has been handled poorly by the manufacturers, but rim width, as imperfect as it is, is a lot better then what was described above.

I confess this is really hard for me because of how my organized mind works, but I try not to think of speed and just think of distance and the disc flight and try to organize my bag that way.

I use the speed as a 'starting point'. I know what speed is pretty much my max, but I will try other speeds. I get a disc (bought based on suggestions, from a player's pack, etc) and take it out to the field to see how it performs for ME. Ultimately, flight numbers don't really mean anything since there is no standard and manufacturers can use what numbers they want to use. It really just comes down to 'how does the disc fly for me'.

Latest posts