• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Gyropalooza 2022

As a mvp fanboy, I was really looking forward to gyropalooza 2022. I was hoping mvp would finally release a disc fans have been asking for like a 12 speed driver, a glow gltich, a glow crave, a ultra low glide putter.

Today the release is a proxy that glows in different colors including the rim.

When i think mvp, i think innovation. Changing the colors of glow discs are cool and all but kind of a let down considering every mvp fanboy already has a glow proxy or envy.

Im sure ill get plenty of criticism about this but its just my uneducated and personal opinion. What do you guys think. Stoked about it or were you expecting more?

I've been throwing MVP pretty much exclusively for around 5-7 years now. I think they've been plenty innovative overall, even recently, considering how saturated the market is. The Glitch, while mimicking some other discs in some ways, is definitely different, and I'll say innovative. I for one am glad that the experimentation they tend to do on mystery boxes is in color and plastic and not in new molds in general. I'm fairly frugal and picky about my discs, and have a hard time justifying buying 14 discs when I only know what 2 will be and only regularly carry one of those (Envy). And yes, I could probably break even by selling most of the ones I don't want, but that is a hassle in itself I don't want to do. So, short answer is, I'm not entirely disappointed. Long answer is, I do wish the experimental glow discs were something like last year, a mold we didn't already have in glow plastic, because it at least gives something newer compared to discs that most of us already have in green glow.

Speed describes how fast you need to throw to make the disc fly according to the numbers. Speed does not describe rim width, although there's usually a correlation

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

I wholeheartedly disagree, ... sort of.

Speed is absolutely affected by rim width. The wider and sharper the rim, the faster it's going to cut through the air. The numbers are absolutely arbitrary, but based on rim width from most companies for good reason. It's a good baseline that all companies can follow and gives players a good idea of how fast they need to get a disc up to speed for maximum potential.

So about that maximum potential. That's where you're sort of right. Sort of. A 12 speed disc does indeed need more velocity to fly closer to its numbers than a 5 speed disc, but the 5 speed disc still can fly its intended flight at higher velocities. And there are other factors.

The best example of this I have seen is one of Simon Lizotte's YouTube videos from around 6mo- 1yr ago. He is good at controlling his arm speed from all his practice, so he went out to a field with another golfer, and they used a radar gun to test this theory of disc speed = needed speed to throw. They threw putters, mids, and drivers, at 40mph, 50mph, 60mph, and in the case of Simon, 70mph. At 40mph, the putters, mids, and drivers didn't have much distance difference between them, but they still mostly flew their intended flight numbers otherwise, as in the correct amount of turn and fade, with the drivers acting maybe slightly more stable. As the speeds increased to 50mph and 60mph, you saw greater gaps in distance between the putters, mids, and drivers. Now, while that was happening, the putters and mids were still going further than they did at 40mph, which starts to break down the whole "intended flight" thing. Because, by 70mph, the distance driver was far outpacing the putter, but, the putter was still flying straight, and flying further than it did at 60mph or 50mph, etc.

So point a: A 2 or 3 speed putter can be thrown at the same velocity (speed) as a 12 or 13 speed driver and get good results. It won't go as fast through the air, or as far as the 12 or 13 speed driver, but it can obviously be thrown at the same speed and maintain its "intended" flight.

point b: there is more than just velocity that affects a discs intended flight. Simon has great spin control and angle control. The other guy he was throwing with, for the most part, was throwing at the same speeds, but not getting the exact same distance. Simon's were further because they were also spinning faster, had better angles, or some other variables, but speed does not necessarily 100% equate to "intended flight" in that respect either.

So that leaves us with, if speed isn't really how fast you need to throw a disc to match its intended flight, then it's probably best as a guideline for how wide the disc is and how fast it cuts through the air.

As far as I know, speed is an arbitrary number that represents what you stated above. It isn't as if there is some standard PDGA machine that throws a disc at "speed 12" and the respective company who made the disc is there going, "ah yes that's the flight we were after, what speed was that?"

The rim width, height, disc diameter are far more indicative of "speed" as these are the factors that almost directly influence the speed of a disc. That's all I was trying to point out here. Based on all the MVP discs I've thrown in comparison to other manufactures, MVP's flight numbers are about 0.5-1 too low on the speed rating. Or all the other manufacturers are 0.5-1 too high. In the end it's all arbitrary

To my point above, I agree that MVP tends to feel faster than other companies, and that's likely because, with proper spin control, the angular momentum of an MVP disc lets it spin longer, faster.

But, as far as labeling discs by speed class, I still think the best way to do it for consistency sake, is to just use rim width (which the PDGA notoriously gets wrong all the time). In that case, yes, the Volt is an 8 speed, while the Thunderbird is a 9 speed, because the Volt has a 1.8cm rim width, and the Thunderbird has a 1.9cm rim width, even though the Volt can feel faster or has a little more distance potential. There're so many other factors that can affect it as well. Sharpness of nose and angle, "glide", etc. Rim width just makes the most sense to stick with in my opinion.

If it only took "5 power", whatever that is, to throw a 5 speed disc to their numbers, almost no one would carry them. Speed has been handled poorly by the manufacturers, but rim width, as imperfect as it is, is a lot better then what was described above.

100% agree, as with my points above. Technically, you can put less "power" into a putter and still get good distance out of it, where you might not see as much gains from a driver with that same amount of power, but in many cases, the driver still flies further for you than the putter with the same amount of power. The distance gap is just not as dramatic as if you throw both of those discs at higher power.

Thunderbird's rim measures in at 19.15mm. Volt's rim measures in at 18.8mm.

Speed is for the most part a direct relation to rim width, but a small amount of it is aerodynamic profile of the disc. Don't put too much stock in speed ratings that manufacturers list though, especially don't compare between different manufacturers. For example, trilogy discs would all be 1 sped slower if the had Innova listing their speed ratings. Then there's just oddball examples like Innova putting the Shryke at 13 speed and Destroyer at 12 speed, or the Tern at 12 speed and Wraith at 11 speed.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a spec, we could call it speed, that is obtained by throwing a disc in a controlled environment at a set speed, then measuring the loss at some fixed distance. The fastest discs would lose less speed. When done, I am guessing Firebird and Sidewinder no longer have the same rating.

Thunderbird's rim measures in at 19.15mm. Volt's rim measures in at 18.8mm.

Where do you get this? MVP measures the Volt at 18mm. I have a hard time thinking their specs are so far off when they measure by .5mm. I suppose a disc with a large amount of flashing could have been measured, but it seems unlikely it's .8mm worth.

Where do you get this? MVP measures the Volt at 18mm. I have a hard time thinking their specs are so far off when they measure by .5mm. I suppose a disc with a large amount of flashing could have been measured, but it seems unlikely it's .8mm worth.

I take the couple of Volts I have and my Mitutoyo multimeter and measure their rims. I'm not sure how MVP measures the rims of their drivers, but my multimeter is pretty precise. You are right that .8mm is a drastic difference though.

Here is my multimeter's measurement of one of my Volts. The numbers on the left are 10th of an inch, and the numbers on the right are 25ths of every quarter of a 10th of an inch. This particular measurement comes out to .74 inches, which is 18.8mm
7B4X6JE.jpg

The highly detail oriented Doth Savek measured the Volt at 18.8mm as well: https://youtu.be/uwBM6rsDPOs?t=395

I take the couple of Volts I have and my Mitutoyo multimeter and measure their rims. I'm not sure how MVP measures the rims of their drivers, but my multimeter is pretty precise. You are right that .8mm is a drastic difference though.

Here is my multimeter's measurement of one of my Volts. The numbers on the left are 10th of an inch, and the numbers on the right are 25ths of every quarter of a 10th of an inch. This particular measurement comes out to .74 inches, which is 18.8mm
7B4X6JE.jpg

The highly detail oriented Doth Savek measured the Volt at 18.8mm as well: https://youtu.be/uwBM6rsDPOs?t=395

Just because I can't help it.......

Technically your measurements are slightly off due to your anvil on your mic being flat measuring up against a curved surface. To be absolutely perfect you'd probably need a pin mic. Or at least a radius/point end on your mic. Not saying this is where the discrepancy comes in, but I could see it being more than you think it would be. You're also probably not in a dead straight line, resulting in measuring being slightly off. Betcha it could be .5mm (.0196").

Last edited:
Just because I can't help it.......

Technically your measurements are slightly off due to your anvil on your mic being flat measuring up against a curved surface. To be absolutely perfect you'd probably need a pin mic. Or at least a radius/point end on your mic. Not saying this is where the discrepancy comes in, but I could see it being more than you think it would be. You're also probably not in a dead straight line, resulting in measuring being slightly off. Betcha it could be .5mm (.0196").

I appreciate the willingness to play devil's advocate, but no. The curvature of disc is not extreme enough to affect the measurement of the micrometer in any significant way as a result of the anvil not resting completely flat against the rim's surface. .8mm is a drastic difference, even .5mm is a drastic difference. At most, such curvature would only result in a ~.1mm difference at most.

As said in the previous post, my measurements coincide with Doth Savek's, and I'll also add this redditor's findings as well: https://imgur.com/vQ9TFSM

So I got my box today (solely because I haven't done a mystery box since DM did the S-CD3s, and wanted a few new glow discs) and I ended up with

Glow Proxy (Blue Rim)
Glow Envy (Red Rim with Purple ring)
Prism Pyro (Blue with Red Rim)
Neutron Signal (White)
Neutron Terra (Lime Green)
Neutron Crave (Pink with Blue Rim and MVP Open '22 stamp)
Cosmic Volt (Yellow with Green and Red Swirls aka instalose)
Neutron Vanish (White with Lime Green Rim)
Prism Virus (Orange/Pink with Purple and Black Swirled Rim)
Cosmic Catalyst (Burnt Orange with Gray and Red Swirls)
Glow Wave (Not sure if 1.0 or 2.0)
Neutron Tantrum (Swirly Purple with Yellow Rim)
Neutron? Panic (Yellow with Orange Rim)
Neutron Fireball (Lavender with Pink and Purple Swirled Rim)

All but the Signal (159) were 170+ with the Catalyst and Virus being 170. All but the last 3 are probably throwable but only the Volt/Proxy/Virus really interest me, just wish the Volt was a better color.

Attachments

• IMG_20221114_201403_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20221114_201403_hdr.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221114_201632_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20221114_201632_hdr.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 13
Well your wave is a 2.0 it's a new release.

Throw the volt until you lose it and see if you like it..

Looks like you got a middle of the road box, I hope I don't get a beefy one, love a light flippy one. A 3rd glow is a good score. I am not doubling down this year :)

I'd also be happy to try a pyro or flare kinda thing.. Looks like there has been 2 proton uplinks, that would be my dream... I think.

Overall I think they mixed a good box, I keep thinking about last year and not being totally happy.... But then I look at what I could have got (like 5 nomads) and I did alright.just no "dream discs" like a glow hex. I was fired up for a rhythm but they finally announced release so meh. Wait and see, maybe next week I will get mine. It's like a birthday present to myself, the timing is perfect.

Last edited:
Well your wave is a 2.0 it's a new release.

Looks like you got a middle of the road box, I hope I don't get a beefy one, love a light flippy one. A 3rd glow is a good score.

I'd also be happy to try a pyro or flare kinda thing.. Looks like there has been 2 proton uplinks, that would be my dream... I think.

Overall I think they mixed a good box, I keep thinking about last year and not being totally happy.... But then I look at what I could have got (like 5 nomads) and I did alright.just no "dream discs" like a glow hex. I was fired up for a rhythm but they finally announced release so meh. Wait and see, maybe next week I will get mine. It's like a birthday present to myself, the timing is perfect.

Mine was so good last year I'm tempted to get another. Maybe I'll cross my fingers and hope I get one for Christmas.

I know not all of them were perfect, but mine was hella close.

Mine was so good last year I'm tempted to get another. Maybe I'll cross my fingers and hope I get one for Christmas.

I know not all of them were perfect, but mine was hella close.

Right..?!?

I got a macro tesla and a glow mini, some people didn't get mini's. It was a good box. I rolled the dice again and got almost the same box haha. 2 glow insanity, 2x 165 nomads.. Couple reactors..

I did alright, just a little choked by the repeat box but they were still a solid box. Play once and take what you get. I was getting some FOMO greedy vibe I think.... F### I wanted a glow hex.

Gave some away as a PIF, got a guy throwing Nomads as his prime putter cuz I needed a b-day gift in a hurry... yeah they worked out.

Right..?!?

I got a macro tesla and a glow mini, some people didn't get mini's. It was a good box. I rolled the dice again and got almost the same box haha. 2 glow insanity, 2x 165 nomads.. Couple reactors..

I did alright, just a little choked by the repeat box but they were still a solid box. Play once and take what you get. I was getting some FOMO greedy vibe I think.... F### I wanted a glow hex.

Gave some away as a PIF, got a guy throwing Nomads as his prime putter cuz I needed a b-day gift in a hurry... yeah they worked out.

That's funny, I have away the Nomad I got as well lol.

I got a glow Virus in mine that's been a good addition to my glow bag. And a stormtrooper Volt that I've used in several videos.

That's funny, I have away the Nomad I got as well lol.

I got a glow Virus in mine that's been a good addition to my glow bag. And a stormtrooper Volt that I've used in several videos.

Stormtroopers are nice, I swear MVP was meant to be molded in white.. From my OG 155 inertia thru teslas and soft uplinks.. It's a good colour for most molds. Don't tell everyone.

Stormtroopers are nice, I swear MVP was meant to be molded in white.. From my OG 155 inertia thru teslas and soft uplinks.. It's a good colour for most molds. Don't tell everyone.

They always look so slick. Their slime green is about the only green I like too.

Hmmm I prefer dayglo green. Wears well in UV and sticks out everywhere. Unless you mean ectoplasm slime radioactive green... then you're right :D

We may be saying the same thing, I have some that are that bright Nickelodeon slime green that looks hella bright.

Chartruce is nice too, but seems to fade easily.

My box

1. Proton Panic 175
  2. Neutron Relativity 174
  3. Cosmic Plasma Octane 173
  4. Proton Insanity 173 (Maybe 1.0 glow?)
  5. Proton Virus 165
  6. Fission Tesla 149
  7. Cosmic Neutron Volt 173
  8. Neutron Terra 174
  9. Neutron Crave 176 (2022 Maple Hill, feels a little like fission)
  10. Neutron Rhythm 173
  11. Prism Pyro 176 (Heavy glitter in the rim!)

Oh. and the two glow putters. I didn't look that closely at those yet. All my colors were pretty good. Some of the lightweight boxes I seen were dope!

Last edited:
That's a nice box! At least a few fit for everyone and that's a good variety of throwers.

I'd be curious if that prism pyro was a little less beefy.

Latest posts