• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have power, want more control

Young man here will be in a good "dip" posture when he plants on his anatomical left "drive" leg before his next move.

Ok, to avoid talking past each other I have three questions.

1) What you call the "dip" I always thought was just evidence of side bend (as described in that one golf video everyone links), is this correct? IMO I don't have to do anything to create side bend, the side bend you kind of get for free through the way the hips work (the lean is automatic).

2) If I attempt a more pronounced shoulder dip/side bend, I feel like the only angle I can throw on is hyzer since I'm literally leaned over. How do you throw with MORE side bend and get to "flat"/anhyzer? In the gif that SW22 links, KJ is 100% set up to throw a spike hyzer. He cannot, as a counterexample, throw a roller from that position (without using some absurd disc)

3) Perhaps the question i've been trying to ask all along: When you throw a disc, at some point the elbow needs to come up to roughly nipple height to create your power pocket (see seabas video describing power pocket as untwisting jar). I understand that you can throw from various arm heights but bear with me. As you follow through, the follow throw is up and out "high fiving". Is it possible to raise your elbow/create the power pocket without the lead shoulder rising? OR Is the "level" shoulders at release/power pocket kind of an optical illusion, whereby sufficient side bend counteracts the rising lead shoulder?

Last edited:

I'll take a stab at all 3 here - I agree that they're related.

1) What you call the "dip" I always thought was just evidence of side bend (as described in that one golf video everyone links), is this correct? IMO I don't have to do anything to create side bend, the side bend you kind of get for free through the way the hips work (the lean is automatic).

I'm kind of with you depending on what you mean, and definitely don't overcomplicate it if you can help it.

Though the minor caveat is that side bend is more about the transition through the core/rotation through thoracic part of the back and can be isolated from the hips to an extent. I think that's why many people have trouble getting into "fully loaded" positions in dynamic balance, and can often benefit from the whole body drills like KJUSA example or the golf side bend drill (or door frame drill, or Inside swing, and so on). Of course, in the KJUSA and golf instructor examples, they are still allowing their spine to swing and legs/hips to move!

I've also found that is possible to load up a side behind that results in much poorer engagement of the throwing lat muscle - and no matter your body type I think you definitely want that big muscle loading in the backswing and unloading in the swing on top of the rest of the core action.

So I agree that trying to completely isolate it from the hips can backfire and it was something that screwed me up for a while. Some people have less trouble with it than others, I think. For instance, I can now control my shoulder lean much more precisely than a year ago and noticed that it makes big differences in how my legs and hips move together (or not) at this point, how I get loaded and balanced against the rear leg and through the core, etc.

E.g., I can also shovel snow using my legs & hips, but also leave power from my core and lat on the table if my shoulder lean/side bend is a little off, which interacts with my balance, etc. I think this is why I've gained the most from big heavy swings that get my whole body moving since it's harder to cheat and the inefficiencies are more obvious to my body.

2) If I attempt a more pronounced shoulder dip/side bend, I feel like the only angle I can throw on is hyzer since I'm literally leaned over. How do you throw with MORE side bend and get to "flat"/anhyzer? In the gif that SW22 links, KJ is 100% set up to throw a spike hyzer. He cannot, as a counterexample, throw a roller from that position (without using some absurd disc)

I totally understand where this question is coming from.

IMHO there's not a perfect way to talk about this, but I'll try.

TL;DR: you learn that posture is a single "unit" the body moves in, then adjust that whole "unit" for the shot.

KJ does like hyzers. IIRC he's one of the guys who doesn't like to throw many "flattish" or anhyzer shots at all if he can help it.

But reminder that the "macro" posture for a lot of pros tends to still posturally swing the arm on some degree of hyzer for distance shots, even for long "anhyzers". I think details of the wrist and swing axis also control some of the ejection angle. Though it is interesting that their overall move still is skewed in the "hyzer" plant in terms of how the arm swings through. I'm still open-minded in this area btw, but I do think this is one reason SW emphasizes working in the hyzer angle when making mechanical changes. It's easier to find axes and efficiencies that exploit gravity. Obviously there's variability beyond Simon and Gibson out there and even from shot to shot, just wanted to mention. I never saw the swing the same way again after I started paying more attention to how the arm angle tends to swing on max distance lines, then started "backtracking" it through the body's posture in pro movement.

Ja580d4.png

One anecdote: lately I am throwing my big sledge on hyzer trying to work out the sweet spots. I noticed that if I want to, I can start to adjust my whole posture to sling the hammer flatter up to a point without additional effort. It's possible to go true anhyzer but the efficiency drops rapidly as I move against gravity and it's easier to get out of balance when adding momentum. Not a conclusion, just an observation. I suspect this is another reason why SW emphasizes building around the hyzer plane in general and then adjusting posture as a unit to achieve the shot goal.

3) Perhaps the question i've been trying to ask all along: When you throw a disc, at some point the elbow needs to come up to roughly nipple height to create your power pocket (see seabas video describing power pocket as untwisting jar). I understand that you can throw from various arm heights but bear with me. As you follow through, the follow throw is up and out "high fiving". Is it possible to raise your elbow/create the power pocket without the lead shoulder rising? OR Is the "level" shoulders at release/power pocket kind of an optical illusion, whereby sufficient side bend counteracts the rising lead shoulder?

This is interesting. If I follow your meaning, I think the trick is that the lead shoulder is rising relative to the ground, but relative to the body it needs to be following the rest of the torso more relatively "forward" in the swing as you unload through the coiled up core (I'm not sure if that's the best way to see it depending on what frame of reference we're talking about). Since the whole body is ideally coming in on that tilted axis, that's part of what is explaining the "good" rising shoulder, relative to a "bad" rising shoulder that indicated jamming on the front leg or posture collapse in transition off the drive leg.

Let me know how I'm doing :)

Change your balance to the shot.
anJeN2z.png

Been trying to isolate the movement and get the right feel/balance by revisiting the one leg throws. Saw this post from earlier in my thread:

The shoulder up is a symptom of not being balanced properly on front leg.

So if I always have my shoulder come up when I throw, and that feels balanced to me, then that means that the "correction" in balance will feel like I'm falling over my front foot right?

Similar to what is said here:
It will probably feel over very the top to you doing one leg drill.

So if I always have my shoulder come up when I throw, and that feels balanced to me, then that means that the "correction" in balance will feel like I'm falling over my front foot right?

Definitely felt that way to me. And you can overcorrect of course.

Front leg balance and shoulder line is starting to look better there I think. Would keep at it with OLD.

From side of tee view: looking at your rear leg and I think it's related to why you are having trouble landing balanced on the front leg when you add complexity. You are getting pressure into it and backswing tension against it (good). But your rear knee looks like it moves initially toward the target in the backswing, then as you are shifting it moves abruptly back away from the target in transition. Watch how SW's keeps moving targetward instead.

I needed a lot of work there that I'm not sure everyone needs. I always had trouble with some of the rear leg in OLD until after I did various other standstill drills (Hershyzer, Door Frame, and Reverse Stride are coming to mind), so I'll be curious what SW recommends next.

1. Start with more stagger stance. Rear foot/leg should be like a bicycle kick stand going into the backswing. Your rear foot is too close and getting in the way of balancing on front leg.

2. Swing shoulders forward over knees. Try to finish like James with rear shoulder down close to front knee.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 2.43.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 2.43.40 PM.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 92
I like doing the OLD, I will continue doing the OLD and working on my posture in that. But I also do like doing full power throws. I have been playing around with posture a bit and found there is definitely more leverage in a more "hunched over" stance. In my head I picture Kevin Jones. It does shape more naturally for hyzer (being hunched over), but I can work on that. Let me know what you think.

I like doing the OLD, I will continue doing the OLD and working on my posture in that. But I also do like doing full power throws. I have been playing around with posture a bit and found there is definitely more leverage in a more "hunched over" stance. In my head I picture Kevin Jones. It does shape more naturally for hyzer (being hunched over), but I can work on that. Let me know what you think.

That looks like it's trending better to me. You are reaching & braking a bit more than ideal with the plant leg rather than shifting and dropping more "on top" of it like ride the bull but I would keep working at it w/ OLD and those drills.

Swing/load/coil your shoulder back behind your hips/mass. Door Frame/Bow Arrow/Inside Swing drills.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.59.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.59.43 PM.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 95
Ok, I think i am making some progress on the OLD:

What I found helped was "backing into the target" to initiate the forward swing.

Will keep this brief: Is it possible to swing too inside? (rhetorical question I guess, it is always possible to do something TOO much) Am I swinging too inside?

It feels like how I imagine henna's or jeremy koling's form feels like

Not really. I see more slack in your system when you start forward.

Not really. I see more slack in your system when you start forward.
This is something I am trying to work on.

1) Is it like you describe in this video? Bascially the tension is created by continuing to coil while moving forward?

2) How do bent arm reachbackers like seppo/emerson/Jerm address this slack issue?

2) Part is how they counter-rotate against the rear leg/build up resistance in the backswing, and the other part is maintaining the right heave/heft/tension of the arm through the coil.

I think you can also feel it when you do little moves like linked below, then allow that slack-less feeling to sustain in the backswing. Little move around ~1:00 to 1:03 illustrates it. That's basically the arm coil mechanic. Doing any of these in full range of motion is never a bad idea really btw.

I personally have always had a harder time with the coil than with the pendulum style and have needed to swing a lot of weighted things (to get the kinetic effect you want and help take out slack). Doing it with a lever or flexbar significantly helped my arm kinetics develop and doing it with a bigger shift with bigger weights have been helpful with legs/counterrotation + getting pulled taut in the shift. Not everyone seems to need that level of intervention, but just mentioning it for consideration.

Things start to get wonky during your long x-step, your knees cross very far over each other instead of being quicker/hoppier, and your shoulders swing around more horizontally instead of more vertically/inside posture. The long x-step seems to fully extend your rear knee and make it hard to balance on it and get hip depth/leverage.

. Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 9.13.30 PM copy.png

I wanted to change gears for a second and talk about putting. I learned to putt watching the feldberg videos, so I never developed any degree of wrist action. It feels totally alien to me. And maybe I don't need it. That being said I really have a problem with missing left and right, really missing right in particular. I also have a hard time generating power but one problem at a time ... the accuracy is more important.

The "toss a heavy book" drill to me was not very helpful, because I end up putting it the same way as I do my regular putt ... just with a book lol.

Side and Front. These are at 15 feet and Im just trying to isolate the motion of my arm.

Is the pronation/supination of the arm a mechanism for reducing slack or is the slack a result of extending too early and starting the pull through too soon

I think supinating at the top takes all the slack out - full extension.
Note how your disc starts rising in transition forward.
GG's disc always drops lower in transition, and he does supinate slightly at the top of backswing although the disc is still wing down relative to him.

I think supinating at the top takes all the slack out - full extension.
Note how your disc starts rising in transition forward.
GG's disc always drops lower in transition, and he does supinate slightly at the top of backswing although the disc is still wing down relative to him.
How do you get the disc to drop lower in transition? Or put another way what causes the disc to rise in transition?

Latest posts