• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Having 2 putting styles and training it.

Kjimsern

Par Member
Last 2 years i tried to figure out what putting style i could use inside c1.

it's been tough and ive been through so much work/putting and styles and documenting stats and different motions and movements. Working extremely hard everday.

What ive learned is that having a putting style like ricky/calvin with that push/finger pop style is very efficent and doesnt give any comebacks ( barely ) and it was the hardest one to master, i also think it requires many years or practice. ( only high and low misses usually)

But whenever there is alot of wind or low ceiling switching to a spin putt ( lizotte style ) seems to be alot more efficent.

I would love to use both and not just the push/ricky style that i mainly use.

Any idea on how to optimally train both? would it hurt my main putting style training/using both?

im thinking a workload of 80% main putting style and 20% secondary.

Pardon my bad english, thoughts and oppinions?

I'll stick to my practice core philosophy here on putting.

I have 3 different putts that I putt with. I suck at putting, but I'll tell you why I suck at putting. I never practice, ever. Literally ever. 2 baskets here. I just don't practice.

Practice has a lot more with "how" you practice vs a lot of other things. Putting in the reps always makes a difference, but look at a few different philosophies here on this.

You always wanna practice your money maker.

Your "I might need this putt" has to be serviceable, not a leg to stand on.

Your other option is disc change.

So when I putt in headwinds or weird winds that are not tailwinds, I switch to an Envy. mainly cause they dont care as much about wind for some reason, and the stability it gives me in to the wind.

When its really really windy. Stop using putters and put with fairways or 9 speeds and lower.

It's hilarious watching people try and putt with putters in 25mph winds.
I giggle.

I have 3 different putts that I putt with. I suck at putting, but I'll tell you why I suck at putting. I never practice, ever. Literally ever. 2 baskets here. I just don't practice.

Practice has a lot more with "how" you practice vs a lot of other things. Putting in the reps always makes a difference, but look at a few different philosophies here on this.

So when I putt in headwinds or weird winds that are not tailwinds, I switch to an Envy. mainly cause they dont care as much about wind for some reason, and the stability it gives me in to the wind.

When its really really windy. Stop using putters and put with fairways or 9 speeds and lower.

I giggle.

Switching to mid and overstable putter works, ive tried that.

I noticed ricky switches from push to a spin sometimes depending on the situation, that is why i consider training them both.

He does quite well with it.

I'm a spin putter, but I practice both a straddle stance and a regular stagger stance. On many occasions I've gone to one or the other when it feels better that day and it's been a blessing.

In my winter basement sessions, I do 50 staggers and 50 straddles from 30 feet.

I'm mainly a push putter and my accuracy drops drastically past 15 feet. I'm working on trying spin putting for outside 15 feet, but am wildly inaccurate. I also throw turbo putts* and practice them.

My putting practice is push putts from 15, 20, and 25; putting 10 times at each spot. Then I will turbo putt from 20 and 25; about 5 each. Lastly, I'll do some spin putt work from 15 and 20; number of throws at each depends on how frustrated I get. I think one overlooked item is matching a putter to a putting style. The putter I use for push putts doesn't seem to work well for spin putts, so I'm trying to find something to use for that, and it doesn't work for turbo putts...I have a different putter for that.

I believe in practicing the way I have to play....push putts in close, find something that will work for longer distances; and, as Central_Scrutinizer said, practice all types of putts with stagger and straddle stances. But I also practice throwing putts crouched down and from a knee as I've had to do that on courses.

*Turbo putting....I have found this comes in handy for elevated baskets. I'm 6'1", when a basket is elevated, you have to putt upwards at an angle to the basket which reduces the amount of area for the disc to enter and, I found, can increase the possibility of a spit-out. Turbo putting lets me release the disc at the same height as the basket and I make more elevated putts. Jenn Allen has been turbo putting almost every putt. JohnE McCray turbo putts and is able to make putts from a long distance, without seeming to have to change styles.

To add about practicing putting. Play a game....pretend you are on your most played course. It's hole 1 and you've gotten in putting range. Now, stand that far from your practice basket and make the putt. On the real course, do you tend to have to putt through low hanging branches? If so, crouch down or go to a knee and make the putt. Then throw a second putter....as Simon says, twice or it's luck. Then do the same thing with an image of the hole 2.

From your couch/chair, replay your last round in your mind....where did you have issues putting? Now take that image out to your practice basket and practice that shot.

It's not so much about having different putting styles and practicing them......if you never need that style, why practice it?

I practice turbo putts because I play courses with elevated baskets.
I practice push putts because that is what I'm most accurate with.
I'm trying spin putting because I don't feel confident with turbo or push putts at 20 feet or farther.
Heck, I even practice putting with the disc upside down for windy rounds (try it....it works).

I have two different push putts, my "short arm" push putt and my "long arm/pendulum" push putt. The "short arm" is kind of like calvin heimburg or ezra aderhold. I do this most of the time. It has a higher parabolic trajectory. I use my "long arm" putt in the wind because I can keep the disc low and let the wind lift it.

Practice everything.
Cos, chances are. You will have to use it at some point. I've noticed that sometimes, I just can't putt with a stagger stance, so I have to switch to a straddle stance. Sometimes I prefer goofy foot. Sometimes I prefer regular foot. Practice everything. That's why I also prefer woods golf. Cos, you never know what you have to deal with. And in the open. Wind changes everything. So, a different putting style is probably going to be required, and probably a different putter altogether. I switch to Rhinos when it's windy, and that's about the only time I really use them.
I tend to use a lot of height, so I try to practice not using height.Try hyzer putts. Try knee putts. Try anhyzer putts. Because They are deadly effective when the time calls for it. Practice everything.

Practice everything.
Cos, chances are. You will have to use it at some point. I've noticed that sometimes, I just can't putt with a stagger stance, so I have to switch to a straddle stance. Sometimes I prefer goofy foot. Sometimes I prefer regular foot. Practice everything. That's why I also prefer woods golf. Cos, you never know what you have to deal with. And in the open. Wind changes everything. So, a different putting style is probably going to be required, and probably a different putter altogether. I switch to Rhinos when it's windy, and that's about the only time I really use them.
I tend to use a lot of height, so I try to practice not using height.Try hyzer putts. Try knee putts. Try anhyzer putts. Because They are deadly effective when the time calls for it. Practice everything.

Sounds like a good plan 🫡

Practice everything.

This is an important point.
Try and at least learn how to do all sorts of putt styles.
Just dont over practice them to mess up your main putt.

The idea being that you should understand the concept to produce a serviceable representation of that style when it calls for it. It might be the difference between a birdy or a double bogey.

I'm mainly a push putter and my accuracy drops drastically past 15 feet. I'm working on trying spin putting for outside 15 feet, but am wildly inaccurate. I also throw turbo putts* and practice them.

My putting practice is push putts from 15, 20, and 25; putting 10 times at each spot. Then I will turbo putt from 20 and 25; about 5 each. Lastly, I'll do some spin putt work from 15 and 20; number of throws at each depends on how frustrated I get. I think one overlooked item is matching a putter to a putting style. The putter I use for push putts doesn't seem to work well for spin putts, so I'm trying to find something to use for that, and it doesn't work for turbo putts...I have a different putter for that.

I believe in practicing the way I have to play....push putts in close, find something that will work for longer distances; and, as Central_Scrutinizer said, practice all types of putts with stagger and straddle stances. But I also practice throwing putts crouched down and from a knee as I've had to do that on courses.

*Turbo putting....I have found this comes in handy for elevated baskets. I'm 6'1", when a basket is elevated, you have to putt upwards at an angle to the basket which reduces the amount of area for the disc to enter and, I found, can increase the possibility of a spit-out. Turbo putting lets me release the disc at the same height as the basket and I make more elevated putts. Jenn Allen has been turbo putting almost every putt. JohnE McCray turbo putts and is able to make putts from a long distance, without seeming to have to change styles.
You say push putt close, but switch from further away. So, I have only been playing 3-4 months, but I decided against push putt because I felt like I couldn't get enough power for longer putts, and I wanted same style for all putts. Well, I use a stance almost the same as a stand still drive, and from 10' I hit almost 100%. From 15', I think I just went from 70% up to 80%. At 20', I think I just jumped from 40% to over 50%, and think improving fast. With more practice, I think my short putts become rock solid, plus I get a boost from only having one putting style, so I see no reason for a push putt at all. You agree? Or disagree? Open to feedback…. But very clear to me putting will be a strength. Driving, oh boy, don't even want to go there. I practice it more, and improve way, way less.

I giggle.
My son and I are still beginners, but we have noticed even a little gust of wind can make our putts go crazy! I mean, we had a couple 10' putts, where we make 99%, blow up and soar 15' past the basket! For now my answer is, don't play when it's windy. Lol. But, eventually I may want a more workable solution. So, question for the group: what discs and techniques work best for you trying to putt when it is windy??? Thanks, and best wishes.

My son and I are still beginners, but we have noticed even a little gust of wind can make our putts go crazy! I mean, we had a couple 10' putts, where we make 99%, blow up and soar 15' past the basket! For now my answer is, don't play when it's windy. Lol. But, eventually I may want a more workable solution. So, question for the group: what discs and techniques work best for you trying to putt when it is windy??? Thanks, and best wishes.
The best solution is to play a lot when its windy. :) I was a much better wind player when I was able to play every day, and that meant playing in very high winds because I sure wasn't gonna skip golfing. Familiarity with plastic and with the feel of wind strength makes you better at evaluating how to throw a shot.

But putting... The only way to be a great wind putter is to be a great putter. Thats all there is to it. One of the keys to putting in the wind is to get the disc through the wind quickly with a firm putt. If you are already a bad putter, this is going to go very badly because (as I'm sure you know) any of the air balls you might have in regular conditions are gonna ZIP in the wind. But if you can become a reliable putter you'll want to develop a more direct and firm putt.

Like - my usual putt is a bit of a spin-pitch (spitch?) with the disc early on heading in the direction of the top of the chain structure or over the basket before descending from just about the height of the top of the basket down into the spot I'm aiming for on the pole. In high winds I'm generally, with some angle variation to try to keep the wind on top of my disc, going to aim more to only rise to my spot on the pole and try to drive the putt through that point instead.

You say push putt close, but switch from further away. So, I have only been playing 3-4 months, but I decided against push putt because I felt like I couldn't get enough power for longer putts, and I wanted same style for all putts. Well, I use a stance almost the same as a stand still drive, and from 10' I hit almost 100%. From 15', I think I just went from 70% up to 80%. At 20', I think I just jumped from 40% to over 50%, and think improving fast. With more practice, I think my short putts become rock solid, plus I get a boost from only having one putting style, so I see no reason for a push putt at all. You agree? Or disagree? Open to feedback…. But very clear to me putting will be a strength. Driving, oh boy, don't even want to go there. I practice it more, and improve way, way less.
My putting 'thought process'....my spin putts have a large tendency to miss right, no matter what distance. Push putts tend to miss short outside 15 feet. I play courses that have elevated baskets (one or two on the course) and find a turbo putt works best for those, especially 15 foot and in. So that leaves me practicing all three forms of putting. I'm still trying to find that 'right' putting style for me that will work for all distances out to Circle 2.

The best solution is to play a lot when its windy. :) I was a much better wind player when I was able to play every day, and that meant playing in very high winds because I sure wasn't gonna skip golfing. Familiarity with plastic and with the feel of wind strength makes you better at evaluating how to throw a shot.

But putting... The only way to be a great wind putter is to be a great putter. Thats all there is to it. One of the keys to putting in the wind is to get the disc through the wind quickly with a firm putt. If you are already a bad putter, this is going to go very badly because (as I'm sure you know) any of the air balls you might have in regular conditions are gonna ZIP in the wind. But if you can become a reliable putter you'll want to develop a more direct and firm putt.

Like - my usual putt is a bit of a spin-pitch (spitch?) with the disc early on heading in the direction of the top of the chain structure or over the basket before descending from just about the height of the top of the basket down into the spot I'm aiming for on the pole. In high winds I'm generally, with some angle variation to try to keep the wind on top of my disc, going to aim more to only rise to my spot on the pole and try to drive the putt through that point instead.
We were not very good putters when that wind got us. We definitely putt much better now, with a more firm, direct putt, that hits the chains a little more solidly. Sounds like that should help some. When you putt better, hit higher percentage, from further away, it frees you up to throw harder and straighter, knowing you will make more, and if you miss, you will be more likely to make the next putt.

Have you considered a hybrid approach? It is popular with pros - I have developed an excellent hybrid putt that is very accurate as far as 20 feet away. I use long arm style, finger pop with tremendous spin (snapping wrist). My only misses are usually high/low but never left/right.

Have you considered a hybrid approach? It is popular with pros - I have developed an excellent hybrid putt that is very accurate as far as 20 feet away. I use long arm style, finger pop with tremendous spin (snapping wrist). My only misses are usually high/low but never left/right.

Im considering it right now, im very close to figuring out some hybrid that will work out.

I have some misses right though, but other then that im good. I think..

Ugh, Just went to start typing and noticed I can no longer expand the box to type in.

I digress.

Part of wind putting is spin and technique. This is one of the reason that lob putting, or old style push putting isn't very common practice in tour players now. Same with a hyzer putt. Only a very small few are doing this, most are throwing a hybrid style putt. A slight arc, lots of spin and sending it at the basket mostly flat.

This really makes me think about doing a video that would try and explain the basics of some of these techniques as I understand them to maybe help newer players.

I don't follow standard putting rules when I putt. I generally change putters for conditions. Certain wind conditions I'll use a more aggressive putter that isnt' going to be pushed around by the wind as much vs my standard putter which is extremely neutral. But by this factor it also requires you to have some level of technique to take advantage of that.

There are some techniques that make putting really really simple.
Others that over complicate it for people.
And then some advanced techniques that when mastered are extremely helpful even if you dont' use them all the time. Or, possibly just your main putting style, for example, the hardcore spin putters.
Those guys who pop laser beams at the basket.

I know "how" to do it, but good lord, I have no idea how they do it so well.

I usually practice/warm up my putt with 4 sets of putts from just the staggered stance mostly with my standard putt from C1x distances. I'd rate my putt at 80-90% spin with slight push to get the nose down when its on form from the staggered stance. My next 4 sets I start to alternate between straddle and staggered and focus on nose angle and slight hyzer/flat on release. Straddle comes into play with obstacles more and I can shift between more spin or push dominant putts based on what is needed. I find the straddle stance allows for more fine addition/removal of leg power and focus on the arm swing with appropriate release angle.

I'd try to track during your rounds how often you typically are needing push vs spin putts and just practice/warm up with a similar ratio. Certain courses may require more straddle-push putts due to obstacles on the green and others may have more open/flat greens for straddle stances and spinning with power. Wind should be accounted for by adjusting aim points/power/putt style but may also narrow your comfortable/'go-for-it' putting range and affect your mental strategy.