• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Having few molds vs. having many

^^^^
.... and the home course you play. I'm on an island, the public course is a rocky mountain dx eating 27 and my course is pretty much the same with 18 and a few tin roofs to avoid. So my premium cycle just kinda happened.

I didn't intend to cycle but finding molds I REALLY like and sticking with them it's a natural progression. Out of my 35 envy (or more haha) and comets/uplinks it gives me enough variation for how I'm throwing "today". I'm not saying I don't buy new molds but after trying a lot of em for the last 15yrs I know (finally) that there is unlikely to be a magic disc I don't already own, picking up a new one is hazardous to my stash. The Ohm was definitely trouble for me. I could throw those happily, the Watt is also an unnecessary but interesting one kinda like a slightly flippy buzzz Jr. That damn glitch already snuck in there I just don't give up bag space easily but a fresh disc (or a different one off my shelf) makes the nightly round more interesting.

So many discs and brands, I'm pretty happy to stick to gyro and limit my purchases to one brand, mostly. I've still got a weakness for Comets and kasta glow, but they don't make Comets like they used to. Mmmmmm elite X

^^^^
.... and the home course you play. I'm on an island, the public course is a rocky mountain dx eating 27 and my course is pretty much the same with 18 and a few tin roofs to avoid.

I didn't intend to cycle but finding molds I REALLY like and sticking with them it's a natural progression. Out of my 35 envy (or more haha) and comets/uplinks it gives me enough variation for how I'm throwing "today". I'm not saying I don't buy new molds but after trying a lot of em for the last 15yrs I know (finally) that there is unlikely to be a magic disc I don't already own, picking up a new one is hazardous to my stash. The Ohm was definitely trouble for me. I could throw those happily, the Watt is also an unnecessary but interesting one kinda like a slightly flippy buzzz Jr. That damn glitch already snuck in there I just don't give up bag space easily but a fresh disc (or a different one off my shelf) makes the nightly round more interesting.

So many discs and brands, I'm pretty happy to stick to gyro and limit my purchases to one brand, mostly. I've still got a weakness for Comets and kasta glow, but they don't make Comets like they used to. Mmmmmm elite X
Elite X Comets would be awesome! One of my top five disc/plastic combos of all time.

Don't even get me started on the blue Sparkle 178g elite x I had... lent it to a friend to help him throw better. He threw it for just one hole all the time, then lost it by not picking it up in dubs. Took me a while to find a few replacements years later. None of em are blue and sparkly. 😞

The blue sparkle X Cyclones were also very nice; X Cyclones as a rule just didn't have the forward fade the TP Cyclones had, but the blue sparkle X's I had were better than most. I also had a blue sparkle X-XL that bombed, but X-XL's in general were good for me so...

I just liked X and Pro plastic. 🤷‍♂️

Im not sure on the circumstances but for some reason Paul Mc Beth lost his Roc3s back when he filled his bag with midranges. The rumors said he hired a guy to chuck champ Roc3s at a wall to get some seasoned replacements for the next couple of tournaments.
The first time I heard this story it was Ken Climo throwing Rocs against trees. Then it was Dave Feldberg throwing KC Rocs against a brick wall. It will roll around again with another top player; it's a good story. Is it true? Well...maybe?

The first time I heard this story it was Ken Climo throwing Rocs against trees. Then it was Dave Feldberg throwing KC Rocs against a brick wall. It will roll around again with another top player; it's a good story. Is it true? Well...maybe?
First time I heard it was Hysell putting Piranhas in the dryer with the heat turned off.

First time I heard it was Hysell putting Piranhas in the dryer with the heat turned off.
The first time I saw somebody do that was in the late 80s during a random doubles round after the first or second Duck Golf at Burke Lake. It was Bryan Stableford iirc, beating the hell out of a new Stingray. Fun guy to be teamed with.

Feldy told a story about how he and Climo would season discs by playing catch in parking lots....throwing grounders and skips

I lost my first DX roc a few years back. I bought a new one expecting it to behave differently for a bit until I got it seasoned. It turns out I am really bad at having a disc beat up from playing. I could never get it to fly the same magical flight no matter how many times I purposely hit trees either. Fast forward to last year with my then 2 year old son: we played 'catch' in the drive way for several hours with my replacement rocs. We let them slide to a stop each time before throwing again. I sanded down the sharp areas after, and they finally threw like my first one did! I now know what to do if I ever lose them all again.

Also, I have never had the 'one hit with DX and different flight' issue so many report. And I do hit trees. Just apparently differently than most others do. I have a DX beast that I've been working on for a year and a half and it only needs a touch extra hyzer compared to a new heavier weight one for the same flight.

I lost my first DX roc a few years back. I bought a new one expecting it to behave differently for a bit until I got it seasoned. It turns out I am really bad at having a disc beat up from playing. I could never get it to fly the same magical flight no matter how many times I purposely hit trees either. Fast forward to last year with my then 2 year old son: we played 'catch' in the drive way for several hours with my replacement rocs. We let them slide to a stop each time before throwing again. I sanded down the sharp areas after, and they finally threw like my first one did! I now know what to do if I ever lose them all again.

Also, I have never had the 'one hit with DX and different flight' issue so many report. And I do hit trees. Just apparently differently than most others do. I have a DX beast that I've been working on for a year and a half and it only needs a touch extra hyzer compared to a new heavier weight one for the same flight.
How far do you throw (though really the speed/power is what I am inquiring about)? I have been playing for 5 months. For the first 4 months, I never had the one hit with DX issue. But, in the past month, I made multiple form improvements, and jumped my max distance from about 225' to about 265'. Then in one round, I threw my then longest throwing disc, a DX Mamba, into two trees. The first hit took a chunk out of my disc, and the second folded it up. I unfolded it, and it looked back to normal, but after those two hits, it never flew the same again. I figured I wasn't throwing fast enough for one hit DX kills prior to this month, but now I am. I am not throwing many of my DX discs any more because, combined with that, most of them are too flippy now that I am throwing harder. Also, I hated Champion plastic because they mostly all dumped hard left early on me, but now I am starting to like some as flying better, and being less flippy. Also, I got several Pro Terns, and my oldest ones are already getting flippy after only a month of use, but my newest ones bomb long and pretty straight. Not for sure yet, but I might be reaching that point where DX and Pro plastics get too flippy too quick, and Star and/or Champion become my go to plastics out of necessity?!

How far do you throw (though really the speed/power is what I am inquiring about)? I have been playing for 5 months. For the first 4 months, I never had the one hit with DX issue. But, in the past month, I made multiple form improvements, and jumped my max distance from about 225' to about 265'. Then in one round, I threw my then longest throwing disc, a DX Mamba, into two trees. The first hit took a chunk out of my disc, and the second folded it up. I unfolded it, and it looked back to normal, but after those two hits, it never flew the same again. I figured I wasn't throwing fast enough for one hit DX kills prior to this month, but now I am. I am not throwing many of my DX discs any more because, combined with that, most of them are too flippy now that I am throwing harder. Also, I hated Champion plastic because they mostly all dumped hard left early on me, but now I am starting to like some as flying better, and being less flippy. Also, I got several Pro Terns, and my oldest ones are already getting flippy after only a month of use, but my newest ones bomb long and pretty straight. Not for sure yet, but I might be reaching that point where DX and Pro plastics get too flippy too quick, and Star and/or Champion become my go to plastics out of necessity?!
I'm with you, I've never experience the flight changing drastically after one hit. Though I only throw DX in mids and putters. Since you throw drivers harder typically, they're hitting trees way harder and will break in faster for sure.

The blue sparkle X Cyclones were also very nice; X Cyclones as a rule just didn't have the forward fade the TP Cyclones had, but the blue sparkle X's I had were better than most. I also had a blue sparkle X-XL that bombed, but X-XL's in general were good for me so...

I just liked X and Pro plastic. 🤷‍♂️
I recently saw one of those cyclones in a used bin. I am seriously downsizing or it would have come with me. Those were money for me as well.

Been bagging a tar pit chameleon since they came out (it found a pond yesterday, hoping to get it back...) It started more stable and was more stable than my worn in premium that I have been bagging since this time last year. We kinda forget how good base/mid can be, especially those of us who don't play daily anymore.

I kinda wonder if innovas (temporary from what I hear recently) runs of really crappy DX changed perception or just the general adoption of premium plastic for everything.

I'm pretty consistently 350ish. Oftentimes farther in a tailwind, and still usually hitting that in a headwind. Not sure about speed since I've never been measured, but I'd guess lower than average since I typically have my discs glide out instead of getting there in a hurry. I have bought some used discs that were notably flippier than they looked like they should be, so some people just have a knack for beating up discs quick.

Also, I would second that mids and putters should last much longer, where their flights are not notably different than when new. They might look trashed, but still fly great.

I'm pretty consistently 350ish. Oftentimes farther in a tailwind, and still usually hitting that in a headwind. Not sure about speed since I've never been measured, but I'd guess lower than average since I typically have my discs glide out instead of getting there in a hurry. I have bought some used discs that were notably flippier than they looked like they should be, so some people just have a knack for beating up discs quick.

Also, I would second that mids and putters should last much longer, where their flights are not notably different than when new. They might look trashed, but still fly great.
It sure seems like, with that distance/power, throwing distance drivers and getting a solid tree hit, you could change the flight of DX discs with one hit. Part of mine beating in so fast lately might be that I am using 148-150g Terns, and was using Mambas. The combination of high speed discs and light weight probably makes the DX and Pro discs beat up quick and easy.

I've had the two trilogy baselines, prime/origio and classic/bt, and innova dx all change with one good (bad) tree hit. It's mostly happened when hitting a tree right off the tee on a full power drive. And when I say "right off the tee" I mean close enough the disc has hit the tree before you even begin to curse it being a bad shot

I've had the two trilogy baselines, prime/origio and classic/bt, and innova dx all change with one good (bad) tree hit. It's mostly happened when hitting a tree right off the tee on a full power drive. And when I say "right off the tee" I mean close enough the disc has hit the tree before you even begin to curse it being a bad shot
Same. Hole 9 at my regular course has two trees close together about 50' from the tee, and you need to go through the middle, and get as much distance as possible to get out past a dogleg right. Both trees get hit a lot, by many players.

Latest posts