• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headed North GA to VA

Chrisgeoguy

Birdie Member
Any ideas for courses off of I85. Wanted to try and get a round in on my way to VA Beach.

Let me know.

Thanks, CJ

lemme kno if u wanna play in va beach

There's a slew in Charlotte obviously. Creekside in Archdale is good, Barber in Greensboro is okay, and Cedarock and Wellspring in Burlington will be a little off the beaten path compared to those two but it's great golf. Valley Springs and Cornwallis in Durham will be your last chance for DG in NC, Valley Springs is good.

I was looking at places in NC mainly because I plan on being there about 9:30 - 10:00. As for the trip back I would like to play some where in SC.

Also really would like to stay as close to the interstate as possible.

Thanks for the ideas...of those in NC. Which one would be the best?

1. Cedarock/Wellspring (farthest, ~ 10-15 minutes off road maybe?)
2. Valley Springs (probably best concerning proximity)
3. Creekside (Solid course)
4. Barber (Average but closest to I85)

Charlotte courses off I85:
RL Smith (awesome but new and therefor rough)
Sugaw (never played it)
Nevin (awesome and tough)
Eastway (Solid course).

where are you staying in va beach?

You gotta hit New Quarter in Williamsburg while you're up there. It's not too far away from the beach.

I can recomment 3 very good courses in SC that are along I-85:

1. Foothills - Easley
2. Timmons - Greenville
3. Va-Du-Mar - Boiling Springs

I second the idea for New Quarter in Williamsburg, VA.

1. Foothills - Easley
2. Timmons - Greenville

I second the idea for New Quarter in Williamsburg, VA.

I was looking at Va-Du-Mar. Did you rank these?

I was also looking for courses that are pretty easy to navigate.

Let me know if you want to meet for a quick 9 in Chattanooga. Jack Mattox in Ringgold is right on the Interstate with others a couple miles out. Bring your DGCR travel tag!

Alright...after checking out the suggestions I still need to narrow it down.

Cedarock
Sugaw
Nevin
Timmons

Only place concrete is New Quarter. Let me know of those four which two would be the best.

Don't know Timmons but of those three I'd definitely say Nevin and Cedarock/Wellspring. The nice thing about the latter is it's 2 courses in the same park. One is long and more wooded while the other is short, wooded, and lots of elevation. You can play both together by doing the figure 8.

Nevin and Cedarock. Timmons is nice, but it is basically a putter course. Pretty little course with some elevation and trees, but you can go putter only and shoot well there.

1. Foothills - Easley
2. Timmons - Greenville

All good. If our traveler is leaning toward the more challenging courses, Va-Du-Mar would be the one. Not a gold course or anything, but the toughest of the three; the other two are very fun, much shorter courses. They'd be better choices for a quicker stop. All are quite convenient to I-85.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just got back from the trip and was only able to play @ New Quarter Park.

Well worth the three dollars. Nicd shop at the park...I bought a few minis and a disc. Very nice layout.

Am going go wish list the others because I make that trip at least once a year.

Thanks Again

Anytime you are coming through SC and want to play Timmons shoot me a message. Me and a couple other guys normally take lunch breaks to go Timmons a few times a week.

For some reason BroD is skipping UNC and Leigh Farms in Chapel Hill/Durham, both are 15-20 minutes from I85. IMO those two courses are the two best in that area, Valley a close third.

I'd definitely make the trip to Cedarock if you like huge open shots.

Let us know when you're coming and going so we can show you around, especially if you do swing over to Leigh Farm.. you'll need a guide.

Latest posts