• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] History of Innova discs/plastics

AshleyH

Eagle Member
I have been trying to find more information on certain discs, but it is proving to me much harder than I imagined. CE was made from 200-2002? is that right?

Special blend came out in 2005? I remember the big deal made with the special blend rocs, and especially the special blend orcs or the tulsa orcs.

When did they stop producing the gator in champion plastic, 2005?
When did they stop producing the cobra in champion plastic?
When did they stop producing the sl in champion plastic? It seems like these were a very limited time frame.
Also, how long did they call the pro discs, pro line? It is not candy pro, has anyone seen these?

It seems like the information on innovas website doesn't even begin to cover all these.

If something is already on here, please point me in the right direction.

Good info in this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1212862.

One of the posts:

Champion - From : 2003 To: Present (In 2003 Champion actually switched to being called Pro or ProLine then swapped back again in 2004. A few late era CE discs slipped through the cracks with Champion stock stamps though so I'm not entirelty sure if it was everything.
(There are sub categories in molds within this 11x KC, 12x KC, Pre-Barry,...)
Star - From : 2005 To: Present
EchoStar - From : 2009 To: Present
Proline (Pro/Candy with a different stamp?) - From :2003 To :2004
Pro/Candy - From :2003 To :2004
Pro - From :2005 To :Current
SE - From :1998? To :2002
11x KC Pro - From :2003 To :2005 (Was Opaque 11x early or late in the cycle?) Late! the more clear champy CAL (Distance Driver) mold was early, the opaque CA mold (Fairway Driver) was later in the 11x era and actually transitioned over to a few runs of early 12x.
10x KC Pro - From :1999 To :2003
9x KC Pro - From :1998 To :1999
Champion Edition - From : 2001 To : 2002 (or early 2003?)

Some might be wrong but not by more than a year on anything I'd say.

I have been trying to find more information on certain discs, but it is proving to me much harder than I imagined. CE was made from 200-2002? is that right?

Special blend came out in 2005? I remember the big deal made with the special blend rocs, and especially the special blend orcs or the tulsa orcs.

When did they stop producing the gator in champion plastic, 2005?
When did they stop producing the cobra in champion plastic?
When did they stop producing the sl in champion plastic? It seems like these were a very limited time frame.
Also, how long did they call the pro discs, pro line? It is not candy pro, has anyone seen these?

It seems like the information on innovas website doesn't even begin to cover all these.

If something is already on here, please point me in the right direction.

There is a link Lion posted a while back that is a letter from Innova back in the day detailing the change of plastics.

IMO a bunch of it is marketing hype, because there was a run of red star plastic a while back that was identical to 1st Run Red T mold tbirds. Anytime you have a plastic that changes in feel through the years then you are dealing with a different plastic composition. All of the pearly molds produced in the early 00's i.e. Gators, Beasts, Orcs, Monster etc. are what I consider "Pro Line" and is a totally different look than original CE stamped stuff.

I really despise the term CE more than anything else in disc golf. Now for the bashing to begin.:hfive:

I think I have a handle on my CE history, but maybe someone will confirm.

Valkyrie - Reddish/orange, barely translucent, black stamp. 2nd run?
Eagle-X - Dayglo yellow, opaque, navy blue stamp. 2nd run?
Eagle-X - Red, opaque, rainbow stamp. 1st run?
Firebird - Dayglo yellow, transparent, pink sparkly stamp. Final run?
Whippet-X - Maroon, transparent, circle stamp. 1st and only CE run?

Millennium
QJLS - Orange/blue swirl, black stamp ("Extra Long Straight Driver", "pdga approved"). Run??
PLS - Mold number 1.13. Also have a 1.10 and a 1.09 (I believe) CE at all?
QMS - Dayglo yellow, barely translucent, 2002 PDGA National Doubles rainbow stamp. CE?

have you tried discgolfsweden.se?

Thanks!! This seems to be just what I was looking for. I am going through this link right now, and have saved it as a bookmark.

Here's what it says on the champion sl
Star SL was made from the third Starfire mold called "L", it first came out February 2005, but was not approved until 20070621 after PDGA changed the rules. Stable to overstable long distance driver with fast flight. Works well in headwind. Suits best for drives over 100 meters. In Champion is it only available as a fundraiser so far. Abbreviation mark on the bottom S-SL.

Does that mean the champion sl never made it beyond CFR into regular production?

The champion gator
Abbreviation mark on the bottom = GT. First run is a very limited run of approx 5000pcs. Just available at 173-175grams. More Overstable then the Dx-version. The mold change in spring of 2005, the newer mold is more stable than the older, called X-old. The nose on the newer type is blunter than the older type. The second run was manufactured in 2007.

So are all the circle stamps the 2005? Are the stock stamp the 2007 or 2005?

Looks like the champion cobra was made from 2003-2006.

Thanks!! This seems to be just what I was looking Here's what it says on the champion sl
Star SL was made from the third Starfire mold called "L", it first came out February 2005, but was not approved until 20070621 after PDGA changed the rules. Stable to overstable long distance driver with fast flight. Works well in headwind. Suits best for drives over 100 meters. In Champion is it only available as a fundraiser so far. Abbreviation mark on the bottom S-SL.

Does that mean the champion sl never made it beyond CFR into regular production?

Yep. You still occasionally see Champ SLs available for fund raiser and the occasional protostar stamped run which innova does in various molds as a gift to tourney directors. The SL is available in Star and Pro plastics only in regular run.

Thanks for the info, the disc that had me curious was a Champion sl that I got at am worlds in 2006. I didn't even realize they never made them in a regular champ run. That thing is way too stable for my girly arm.

Latest posts