• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Hlp me fill some slots

Purdoggies

Par Member
Just ordered a new Upper Park Shift (thanks to some great input from some folks on the forum). I'm upgrading from my Innova Standard bag that has lasted me for many years. So my disc carrying capacity is going to increase by about 5-6 discs. I've already got some ideas about how to fill these extra slots but thought it might be fun and helpful to get your opinions based on the following info. Here's what I carry now:

DX Aviar P&A (170 g)- primary putter
R-Pro Rhyno (175 g)- head wind putter and short approaches, and when I need a disc to sit
X Stratus (168 g)- mid-range turnover shots
DX Shark (168 g)- straight mid-range approaches
KC Pro Roc (170 g)- stable approaches
VIP Bard (175 g)- found it recently, little faster and more stable than my Roc, very skippy, really like it
G* Leopard (156 g)- primary fairway driver
Champ Teebird (150 g)- for slight headwind or a little late fade
Champ Banshee (150 g)- headwind driver, strong late fade, flex & hyzer shots, utility
Champ Sidewinder (150 g)- longest driver, S curves, tail winds

I have just started FH driving (LH) in the last year since shoulder is compromised (still learning). I've been using 150 class drivers for a long time. Always had a noodle arm (200-250' Max D). I can still throw LHBH on approaches and putts but am using FH approaches when it seems appropriate.

Discs I am already considering to fill new or challenge existing slots include:
Aviar Classic (max weight)
Zone
Harp
Champ MF Gator

Would love to hear your specific suggestions re: molds, weights, plastic, etc.

What shots do you wanna throw that you dont have the disc for?
over-stable FH approach (50-100')- Zone or Harp were recommended on another thread
fresh stable P&A- that's why I have the max weight Aviar Classic on there

Others:
I'd like to have a reliably overstable Roc or Roc clone, maybe premium plastic
maybe a driver in between Teebird & Leo

Reliably OS Roc - I notice the champ MF Gator in your "already considering" list. That might be the OS mid you're looking for, although especially in MF it might even be too OS. The Roc nerds I'm familiar with seem to go for the champ rancho mold Rocs for OS purposes, but those can get pricey.

Driver between Teebird & Leo - I'd say try a champ Leopard3. (Also consider Eagle L mold, but those are OOP and a little tougher to find.)

You didn't mention you need a different driver but I would try a blizzard Wraith. Still light weight but I think you may get a little more distance as it's a faster disc.

over-stable FH approach (50-100')- Zone or Harp were recommended on another thread

To be honest, I think with your distance the Zone can work really in the second slot. I could get the Zone out almost as far as a Roc.

Especially as it beats in. The Element Uranium may be worth a try though.

Last edited:
Reliably OS Roc - I notice the champ MF Gator in your "already considering" list. That might be the OS mid you're looking for, although especially in MF it might even be too OS. The Roc nerds I'm familiar with seem to go for the champ rancho mold Rocs for OS purposes, but those can get pricey.
I've messed around a bit with a Star Gator. Don't think it is glidey enough to fill that OS Roc slot. I realize that the Champ Rocs are difficult to come by. Was wondering about the Star Ranchos that are now available?

To be honest, I think with your distance the Zone can work really in the second slot. I could get the Zone out almost as far as a Roc.
Definitely want to try out a Zone and a Harp and see which one works better for me. I hadn't considered the fact that they might work to fill OS Roc slot but it makes sense based on flight ratings. Thanks for that input.

You didn't mention you need a different driver but I would try a blizzard Wraith. Still light weight but I think you may get a little more distance as it's a faster disc.
Appreciate the suggestion but I doubt if I can generate the necessary arm speed to make a Speed 11 disc work for me, even in a lighter weight. The only reason I can use the Sidewinder is that it doesn't require a lot of power to make it fly.

Appreciate the suggestion but I doubt if I can generate the necessary arm speed to make a Speed 11 disc work for me, even in a lighter weight. The only reason I can use the Sidewinder is that it doesn't require a lot of power to make it fly.
That may very well fill your shorter OS approach gap. I'm a fan of OS mids but sometimes (especially with less overhead room) less power on a higher speed disc is just the ticket.

I've messed around a bit with a Star Gator. Don't think it is glidey enough to fill that OS Roc slot. I realize that the Champ Rocs are difficult to come by. Was wondering about the Star Ranchos that are now available?

Regular production star Ranchos are nice. I use mids from 240' up to about 320' and I find the star Ranchos to be very hss with a strong fade that kicks in earlier than a dx rancho.

That may very well fill your shorter OS approach gap. I'm a fan of OS mids but sometimes (especially with less overhead room) less power on a higher speed disc is just the ticket.
You are not the first person to point that out to me over the last few days in several different threads. It's got me thinking. I'm wondering how my Banshee might fare powered down for shots in the 50-100' range? Or even shorter get out of trouble situations?

fresh stable P&A- that's why I have the max weight Aviar Classic on there

Others:
maybe a driver in between Teebird & Leo

For fun, you might try a K1 Kastaplast Kaxe, its premium Roc/Teebird hybrid. Holds stability really well and very useful a as a tweener disc between mids and fairways. Infinite Discs and Marshall St usually has them.

If you use a lot of 150 class, I'd suggest a 150ish MVP Inertia in Neutron Plastic. Its a distance driver, but it will feel very comfortable and provide extra distance right away. If you only want Innova, try a Valkyrie.

A good overstable driver/utility disc is also a 150 class Millennium S-OLF. Speed 9, but you can always power down and its one of the best control drivers out there. Good for thumbers, too.

Also, take a look at Discmania's offerings, since they are just various tweaking of Inovva molds. They have great customer service and they tell you exactly how each disc flies in the different runs of plastic. Blizzard DDX is a good avertable distance drive and the DD is like a Wraith.

How about some driving putters. Maybe another Aviar (which I believe you mentioned already), and something slightly understable & glidey, like a Colt. I personally use Wizards in place of Aviars and Magics in place of Colts. Can't go wrong with either brand.

For fun, you might try a K1 Kastaplast Kaxe, its premium Roc/Teebird hybrid. Holds stability really well and very useful a as a tweener disc between mids and fairways. Infinite Discs and Marshall St usually has them.

If you use a lot of 150 class, I'd suggest a 150ish MVP Inertia in Neutron Plastic. Its a distance driver, but it will feel very comfortable and provide extra distance right away. If you only want Innova, try a Valkyrie.

A good overstable driver/utility disc is also a 150 class Millennium S-OLF. Speed 9, but you can always power down and its one of the best control drivers out there. Good for thumbers, too.

Also, take a look at Discmania's offerings, since they are just various tweaking of Inovva molds. They have great customer service and they tell you exactly how each disc flies in the different runs of plastic. Blizzard DDX is a good avertable distance drive and the DD is like a Wraith.
Appreciate the suggestions. It's fun to try new discs and especially to branch out into some of the other companies offering discs these days. I already have a 155 Inertia that came with my PDGA membership. Also picked up a 150 class Relay some time ago. Never spent enough time with them to go the hang of them but maybe I'll try again based on your suggestions. I've thrown Valks before. The ones I currently have are a pretty beat JC Champ 150 and a DX 150. Both are too flippy for me. Haven't heard anything about the Kaxe before. Plastic looks nice. I've messed around with a few Millennium products before. Polaris LS and SS Putter. None have stuck in my bag yet.

reliably slightly os mid = Compass

Pig or Harp for FH upshots

TL for Driver between Leo and Teebird-- Gstar for less stability and better grip

...but sometimes (especially with less overhead room) less power on a higher speed disc is just the ticket.

QFT! When I was starting, this philosophy allowed me to make easy shots just that, nice and easy. This is something I recommend anyone to consider when trying to improve their game. Low Firebird skip shots are an amazing asset in the woods. :thmbup:

You are not the first person to point that out to me over the last few days in several different threads. It's got me thinking. I'm wondering how my Banshee might fare powered down for shots in the 50-100' range? Or even shorter get out of trouble situations?

I throw the Banshee and it might work for you powered down at the long end of that range. I usually use the Hornet for the OS shots at shorter ranges. Alas, Discraft is going to take the Hornet OOP, so you might not want to become attached to it like I have.

Otherwise, the Star Gator, the Harp, and some of the other suggestions here would be good.

I'd say FD is a prefect choice for something between a Leopard and Teebird. Probably in S-line (star) plastic.

Latest posts