• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Hlp me fill some slots

Mvp matrix: An amazingly workable mid. Mvp resistor: very OS tweener between mid and driver. Powers down well for those OS putter shots too.

OS Roc... Z Wasp?

For forehand approaches, have you tried the Rhyno? Or maybe try a Rhyno in different plastic? You have several discs that might work forehand.

Last edited:
OS Roc... Z Wasp?

For forehand approaches, have you tried the Rhyno? Or maybe try a Rhyno in different plastic? You have several discs that might work forehand.
Thought about trying a Rhyno in a different plastic. What would you recommend?
What are the other discs I already have that you think might be good for FH?

I personally disagree with the Star Roc suggestion. I'd recommend checking out a Roc3 before any Star Roc. For me the premium plastic Roc3s have more potential distance than Champion/Star Rocs. Star & Champion Rocs have a lot less glide than DX/KC Rocs. I cycled KC/DX Rocs for years. I bagged a USDGC Champion Roc to compliment my Roc cycle. I had no need for a more OS mid because they have very little glide.

I personally don't find a need for a fairway driver between my Champion Teebirds & Star Leopard. If you really think you need to fill that gap try out an FD. If you want to try a Rhyno in a different plastic I'd recommend a Champion or XG Champion Rhyno. I use a XG Champion Rhyno for short drives off the tee & upshots. For some reason the Star Rhyno isn't very popular. I have very little experience with them. Though Champion Rhynos are great. Champion Rhynos stay OS forever. I prefer XG Champion because they have less skip than Champion but are very durable.

I recently acquired a Champion Rhyno and I'm loving it. I've thrown it forehand and backhand, and it's reliably overstable and sticks fairly well when it hits the ground.

Personally, you don't need anything else in that bag for now. If you want a OS Roc, get a max weight KC and that will do fine for you or keep throwing the Bard. As to short FH approaches, what do you NOT like about a Rhyno? That's what that disc is made to do.

Keep throwing what you're throwing.

I personally disagree with the Star Roc suggestion. I'd recommend checking out a Roc3 before any Star Roc. For me the premium plastic Roc3s have more potential distance than Champion/Star Rocs. Star & Champion Rocs have a lot less glide than DX/KC Rocs.
I think the VIP Bard (best disc I ever found on the course BTW) pretty much covers the Roc3 slot, although I could be wrong about that as I have no personal experience with Roc3s. Flight numbers are the same though. But both my KC and the Bard don't have much fade when thrown into a headwind. Both are pretty straight in these conditions. What I'm looking for is something that will definitely finish with fade even when thrown into a headwind for those mid-range approach shots where I need to work around an obstacle (guardian tree(s)) between me and the basket.

I cycled KC/DX Rocs for years. I bagged a USDGC Champion Roc to compliment my Roc cycle. I had no need for a more OS mid because they have very little glide.
Actually, one of the things I was considering with my bag expansion, was having enough room to start carrying multiple Rocs (cycling). You mention your experience with that, but the way you worded it sounds like maybe you aren't cycling Rocs anymore. Is that the case, and if so, what have you replaced that system with?

Personally, you don't need anything else in that bag for now. If you want a OS Roc, get a max weight KC and that will do fine for you or keep throwing the Bard. As to short FH approaches, what do you NOT like about a Rhyno? That's what that disc is made to do.

Keep throwing what you're throwing.
That doesn't sound like much fun! ;) Actually, I appreciate this post. I like to keep things simple whenever possible. I was very impressed by a recent "In My Bag" I saw Philo Brathwaite do. His putt, approach & mid selection is completely covered by two molds, cycling Grid Stamp Aviars and DX Rocs. I think he may have one Champ Roc for OS duty though. I'd like to emulate this approach as it makes sense to me but I would have to work up to it gradually as: 1) I don't have any Rocs beat enough to hold an anhyzer for me at this point, 2) I still feel like I need a Roc that will have late fade even into a headwind (see above post), and 3) I might miss my overstable P&A slotted Rhyno when dealing with windy approaches where I need to minimize glide tendencies.

Zone is a fabulous short range FH approach disc. I've got myself out of a lot of tough situations with it using a flick, and developed great touch with it for those left to right approach shots, e.g. going around a tree. Some lies, or lines to the pin, are just a lot easier with a FH approach. I used to throw a faster disc for all FH, and it really helped a lot for me to disc down to a Zone and get more touch. I also throw it on specific holes, e.g. the island green short position at Dela hole 12.

Hope you give it a try.

Zone is a fabulous short range FH approach disc. I've got myself out of a lot of tough situations with it using a flick, and developed great touch with it for those left to right approach shots, e.g. going around a tree. Some lies, or lines to the pin, are just a lot easier with a FH approach. I used to throw a faster disc for all FH, and it really helped a lot for me to disc down to a Zone and get more touch. I also throw it on specific holes, e.g. the island green short position at Dela hole 12.

Hope you give it a try.
I'm gonna order one. I've heard the flat ones are best. Can you make a recommendation on plastic type and weight?

I'm gonna order one. I've heard the flat ones are best. Can you make a recommendation on plastic type and weight?

My most trusted Zone is ESP 175g, but I did try Jawbreaker and it was excellent too, until I gave it to a friend. Jawbreaker is a little less stable, so it goes a bit farther, and I felt it stuck to the ground better, so if you are trying to avoid skip and roll, it might be a better choice. For the most part I stick with ESP because I have developed a lot of touch with it and trust it more.

What are the other discs I already have that you think might be good for FH?

To be honest, dunno much about Rhyno plastics.

As far as forehand, I think you should be able to forehand most of those discs. Some that jump out: Bard, Teebird, and Banshee are "traditional" forehand discs, and I'm of the philosophy that you can benefit from forehanding anything in your bag. The aviar, roc, and shark are particularly good. The only problem is if they're uncomfortable in the hand. But if you can't forehand something like an aviar, it's probably a form issue.

Why do people keep saying this. They make a TON of them every year. And sell them for like $25 bucks.
I haven't seen any for less that $40 and even then am never sure if they are Ranchos or some other less stable (and apparently desirable) mold. If you know where I can get a Champ Rancho for $25 then please let me know!

I haven't seen any for less that $40 and even then am never sure if they are Ranchos or some other less stable (and apparently desirable) mold. If you know where I can get a Champ Rancho for $25 then please let me know!

The 2017 USDGC Fundraisers will be coming out in no time. Keep your eyes peeled. DGU and DGV will have some. Heck, they usually get misprints that they sell for $20.

USDGC Rocs, except for rare exceptions, are Rancho Rocs and Roc+. Avoid the Roc+. Also, you can look up most any USDGC Roc here: http://www.championroc.info/

I gotta say having one of your putters in jawbreaker plastic (the Zone, maybe) would be a nice addition. I'm so enamored of the grippiness !!

Actually, one of the things I was considering with my bag expansion, was having enough room to start carrying multiple Rocs (cycling). You mention your experience with that, but the way you worded it sounds like maybe you aren't cycling Rocs anymore. Is that the case, and if so, what have you replaced that system with?
In the winter I experiment with my bag a lot. I usually just play casual rounds in the winter. Though I play 1-2 tournaments a month from spring to late fall. In the cold I always take out any KC/DX plastic discs. I've cracked Aviars & Rocs in the cold before. In the winter I usually switch to a few Roc3s, a Mortar & a Mako3. Once it warmers up I'll probably switch back to cycling KC Rocs. My normal setup is a Recon Mortar, a USDGC Champion Rancho Roc & 3 KC Rocs. Obviously my KCs are beat up from stable to flippy. Honestly if you want something more overstable than a new Roc/Bard you're not going to get much distance out of it. Something like a Gator/Mortar will still fade when thrown into a headwind. Though beefy mids won't fly nearly as far as say your Bard on a hyzer will. Some people (there's a thread on it) think overstable mids are pointless. I personally like them especially for sidearm approaches, headwinds & flex shots. If you don't like the lack of distance potential of beefy mids, try powering down an overstable driver for those shots. For mids that fight headwinds check out a Drone, Justice, Gator or Mortar.

Latest posts