• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holloman AFB Course

Kavv

Hello all,

There are 9 baskets on HAFB that are very poorly placed. I have mapped 8 of them here, and haven't found the 9th. I've been told it is further east.
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=410627

I have been given the green light to propose new placement of these baskets in an attempt to create an actual course, and start promoting the sport on base. I'll be reading everything I can about course design, as well as playing more courses throughout this process. I want to make the new placements as functional as possible.

Other than my lack of experience (18 holes at time of typing this), I'm most concerned about a lack of terrain features. For the most part, the base is just a big flat area with very few trees. Like I said, I'll be doing a good deal of research, but I wanted to post here to get any tips on dealing with a lack of natural features...and also let people know this is going to happen.

Thanks,
Kavv

I don't really understand the map you linked. I guess the red line is the path of all 8(9) holes?
Anyway, a few basic suggestions:
Try to keep the next tee fairly close to the last basket so that it's not far to walk and easy to follow the layout.
Ideally, hole 9 should finish reasonably close to tee 1 so that the second 9 can begin without a long hike back.
As for the flatness and lack of trees...perhaps designate some of the roads, sidewalks, fences etc as OB and tuck the baskets inbetween to add a challenge factor. I don't like mandos, but in your case maybe designate some utility poles, radio towers (what're vertical elements you got) as mandos for added challenge. Have a diversity of different hole lengths with a par 4 or 5 to add variety.

That's all I got without seeing the property first hand. Good luck.

Latest posts